iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Sheds

Started by Bogue Chitto, March 07, 2012, 03:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogue Chitto

I am thinking of building a sawmill shed for my mill.  What do you have? Pictures would be nice.  As of now I have a metal or portable shed that is on wheels, but I want a permanent one. 

Peter Drouin

maybe make one like this :) :)

24x60   ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

MHineman

Peter Drouin, how long is the span on that opening?  What did you use for the header?
  You can saw something reallllly long on that rig.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

redbeard

Iam set up stationary and  went with cantliever roof need to have open cutting deck for loading big logs and odd shape stuff that dosent roll. I saw at night alot so the lights shinning down and forward works real well. I have a cover for cutting deck that I take on and off with forks, when not in use.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Peter Drouin

Hi MHlinman  43' door, and the head is a steel I beam 45' long.  works good for me . and this year im going to add a 16' bay next to the JD
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bogue Chitto

Thanks everyone.  I like your setups.  8)

opticsguy

Looks like Peters shed has a steel I beam for the open span. 

An alternative is building a box beam built out of lumber and plywood.  Might require an engineers stamp if you are getting a building permit and a good idea even if no permit.  I used a box beam spanning 24 feet in my garage to avoid any posts and to support the second floor, an easy build and high strength.

Obviously you cannot cut a beam longer than your mill which is really want you want.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

tcsmpsi

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

jcbrotz

Quote from: opticsguy on March 08, 2012, 09:15:06 AM

Obviously you cannot cut a beam longer than your mill which is really want you want.

Yes you can. I have done it to many times longest being a 32 footer on my mill WM LT-40. All for customers but one is gunna be for me when I start my "shed" this year but that is another topic.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Magicman

Correct, there are many innovative ways to saw longer than your sawmill's specs.  The forum's search button above should uncover several methods.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

learydeere

eastberkshirecustoms

learydeere, looks like someone built with the cold weather in mind. ;) We used to have something similar to that on the circle mill shed, but it had a flip up door to roll the logs in.

redbeard,  do you have long hydraulic cylinders bracing up your shed? If so, that's too cool!

learydeere

Haha yea you're right there's a hundred acre field behind he and 6 months out of the year the wind is brutal so i closed the north side and left the south side open

WDH

If you are like me, you will need a place to store lumber, too, so take that into consideration.  I have shed roofs on each side of my workshop that extend 26 feet on either side so that I can build racks and store air dried lumber.  On the right side, a pesky scarlet oak got in the way  :).

On the left side, it was a pesky white oak.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

Ummm Danny you missed one!  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on March 11, 2012, 08:39:08 AM
If you are like me, you will need a place to store lumber, too, so take that into consideration.  I have shed roofs on each side of my workshop that extend 26 feet on either side so that I can build racks and store air dried lumber.  On the right side, a pesky scarlet oak got in the way  :).

On the left side, it was a pesky white oak.

I have to admit......I like the trees through the roof! I'll bet you've got a ton of comments on your roof.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kansas

The carpenters on here could answer this one better than me. But why couldn't you simply laminate a beam. We have done it and I think they stay straighter. Its a pain to cut a beam longer than the saw will allow. It can be done; we have. Its pretty slow going. I would think some 2x12 or 14 laminated with ring shanks and some bolts would work just fine.

learydeere

Thats exactly what i did. I wanted a 26' door and a beam was around $1500 so i used 2x6's and staggered all the joints and put plywood between and added 150 locking screws and 10 tubes of liquid nails and ended up with a 8x12x26 for under $200

redbeard

There are some beam span ideas on Timber framing page, tried to find one members post on this subject it was a bridge he built. Or you can google wooden bridge beams. His post was really interesting maybe someone can link it here.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

jdonovan

Quote from: Kansas on March 11, 2012, 10:40:57 AM
The carpenters on here could answer this one better than me. But why couldn't you simply laminate a beam. We have done it and I think they stay straighter. Its a pain to cut a beam longer than the saw will allow. It can be done; we have. Its pretty slow going. I would think some 2x12 or 14 laminated with ring shanks and some bolts would work just fine.

You can.

Here is a publication from AITC on such.

http://www.aitc-glulam.org/test/shopcart2/test.asp?item=AITC_119-96

Tree Feller

I used three layers of 2x12's with 2 layers of 3/8" plywood in-between to span the 18 1/2' opening of my garage. It's been there 14 years with no discernible sag yet. Of course it is on a gable end so it gets some support from the framing above but I don't think it needed it. Laminated beams are stronger than solid ones.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Bill R

Heres a pic. of my shed
[img width=550 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/n13/Bill_053/Mar1207-1.jpg[/img]

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Bill R.   :)

Go HERE to learn about picture posting on this forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bogue Chitto

Thanks everyone again.  Like your dog Kansas,  have one like it. 

Thank You Sponsors!