iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have to clean out my water to water heat exchanger

Started by furjaw, November 04, 2013, 02:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

furjaw

I have a Central Boiler 5036 Outdoor Wood Furnace.
My Taco Model 009-F5 Circulation Pump just died.
The plastic impeller had disintegrated and was mostly missing.
I replaced the cartridge with Cartridge # 009-021RP.
It is working but apparently the flow is obstructed.
I have a water to water heat exchanger.
My guess is that the heat exchanger is plugged up with pieces of plastic from the impeller.

doctorb

The first thing to do is check every valve in your system to make sure one is not still closed.  I am not trying to belittle you.  It's the kind of simple thing that makes us pull out our hair.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Roger2561

Quote from: furjaw on November 04, 2013, 02:41:05 AM
I have a Central Boiler 5036 Outdoor Wood Furnace.
My Taco Model 009-F5 Circulation Pump just died.
The plastic impeller had disintegrated and was mostly missing.
I replaced the cartridge with Cartridge # 009-021RP.
It is working but apparently the flow is obstructed.
I have a water to water heat exchanger.
My guess is that the heat exchanger is plugged up with pieces of plastic from the impeller.

This brings up a question; when do you folks think I should do a bit of preventive maintenance?  I have the same Taco pump on my E-Classic 1400, going on my 3rd year of heating with it.  Should I go on the offense and change out the impeller before it breaks?  Or, leave it alone until it does break?  What's the average live span of the Taco 009-F5?   I'm thinking of purchasing a replacement impeller really soon anyway.  Thoughts?  Roger   
Roger

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Roger2561

doctorb - Thanks for the link.  That was very informative.  I think all I do for this winter is purchase a replacement cartridge to have on hand for the "just in case" scenario.  The funny thing is, I have a Taco on the oil furnace and that's 20 plus year old and it has never failed me (Now that I've said that...  ;) ).  I need to seriously think about having my water tested professionally to see what I have and I'll go from there.  Roger
Roger

Thank You Sponsors!