iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Florida fish in NY state from Ocklawaha boy

Started by petefrom bearswamp, April 16, 2015, 06:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

In January while wintering in FL, I made contact with Ocklawahaboy and we sawed some and he took me fishing for Crappie.
Caught some but i had no way of cleaning them at my place so he gave me a package of filets.
We are back in NY now and Just got done cooking and eating about half of them and they were delicious.
Thanks to Josh for taking me fishing and supplying the filets.
Hope we can do this again!

My favorite recipe is as follows

The dusting portion: 1 cup flour, 1 tsp salt and pepper, a dash, but I put 2 or 3 of Cayenne.
The batter 1 cup milk, 1 tbsp beer, 1/4 tsp baking soda 1 beaten egg.

Mix the batter and let set 15 minutes.

Cut the filets into fingers or leave whole if small. Dry the filets and keep cold.

Heat the oil until a paper match dropped in lights then the oil is ready.

dust the filets, dip in batter and cook to taste.

This is a really light batter.

What good eating.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Nice to hear about a forestry forum members meeting.  Crappie are right up there with catfish ;).
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

CHARLIE

Sounds like you had a fine meal, but fried fish should also be served with a side of grits 'n butter, coleslaw and lots of hushpuppies and sweet iced tea.  And a bottle of 100% cane syrup placed on the table so you can have dessert, which is hushpuppies drenched in cane syrup.

Now, since you were in Florida, you weren't catchin Crappie, you was catchin' Speckled Perch, which is the same fish with a different name. :-)

In the South fish ain't usually battered.  To pan fry in the South just dip your fish in seasoned cornmeal or cracker meal and plop it in the skillet.  Your batter for frying fish sounds really good though. Most best of all, you have some great memories and met Ocklawahaboy.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

fishpharmer

DanGit Mister Charlie, just reading that got me watering at the mouth! digin_2
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

petefrom bearswamp

Looking forward to getting to Florida in December.
Hope to hook up with Oklawaha boy again for some sawin an fishin.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

69bronco

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on June 17, 2015, 06:12:33 PM
Looking forward to getting to Florida in December.
Hope to hook up with Oklawaha boy again for some sawin an fishin.
If you get down Naples way, look me up. We'll go fishing!

Thank You Sponsors!