iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevytaHOE5674

Thats what went in there 3.5" tube 3/8" wall thickness. Added some more structure since this picture. Ran our of daylight and rushed to get it on and the 10" of snow plowed before it was pitch black.

PoginyHill

Quote from: thecfarm on February 04, 2021, 06:01:54 PM
How many drivers that that rig have?  :o
I think they are all 6X6, so all wheels drive (or not)
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Bruno of NH

One of the stud bolts on Big Bob's starter broke off. 
What is the best way to remove it?
Weld a bolt on it ?
Any help would be appreciated. 
Thanks Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ed_K

A bigger size nut put over the broken bolt and weld the inside of the nut to the bolt. Hope it's not broke a ways in then you'll have to drill it and use an ez-out.
Ed K

Crusarius

soak the ever loving.... out of it with a good penetrating oil before you do anything.

Crusarius

Crusarius

Then when you walk past it soak it again.

Jack S

Ya left out the two most important words.   BLUE CREEPER   

Patrick NC

Quote from: thecfarm on February 04, 2021, 06:01:54 PM
How many drivers that that rig have?  :o
If you're talking about drive wheels, it's 6 wheel drive. But with a loaded weight of around 110,000 pounds it will find a soft spot and go to the bottom. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

mike_belben

Is it snapped flush or below surface?  

Is it threaded into steel or aluminum?  

Praise The Lord

Satamax

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 05, 2021, 08:58:47 AM
One of the stud bolts on Big Bob's starter broke off.
What is the best way to remove it?
Weld a bolt on it ?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Bruno
After soaking. Some more! :D Do you have some room. Sometimes buying an anti clockwise drill bit is not too daft. Since we all have cordless drills, you can drill in reverse with one. And if it catches in the stud, it unscrews it.  Otherwise, you can still use an EZ out. 
If you weld a nut,and it doesn't come out, you usually can't drill in the weld. 
You can also make a centering bolt, to drill perfectly in the center. If you have a lathe or a drill press. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Roundhouse

Thursday we got about 4" of fresh snow that wrapped up in the morning. With the temperature still relatively warm I went out over lunchtime to clean up the driveway and the walk. It all went well and when I checked the time I had 5 minutes to put away the machine and log into my next meeting. I aimed it at the garage and made it about 2 feet in that direction before things came to a halt. At first I thought I had lost traction since there is plenty of ice under the snow. Not so lucky, a look at the ground showed hydraulic fluid staining the snow.

By the time my meeting was done and I jacked up the rear of the machine the dripping was almost done making it tough to find the source. I took off of the battery, seat and seat supports before it got any colder. I was hoping the leak would be obvious but so far it is not, I still need to get a look at the lines to the front drive motors. We're now in a stretch of below zero cold for the better part of a week. The only good news is that there is no more snow in the forecast and the breakdown didn't happen when I was across the street scooping out the fire hydrant. 

I've been pretty lucky with hydraulics until now so hopefully I can find the problem once I'm able to work outside for more than 5 minutes without loosing feeling in my hands. I'm hoping to figure out the repair before refilling the reservoir but if I can't find the leak I may have to put some fluid back in and see where it comes out.

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

treemuncher

Most of December was spent rebuilding the interior of the FAE head. A folded, worn out cover plate holding up the chain curtain on the right corner was my tattletale. Further inspection while on the job showed a badly banged up chain curtain mount, worn out intake edge packed with dirt and worn counter combs. Immediate shop time after that little job was completed.

In order to access the interior, the rotor had to be pulled out. Well over 32 feet of weld to be removed for the old, worn out intake counter combs. This really makes me appreciate my plasma cutter and the tire bar/slide hammer tool for making fast work of removal of these 19 pieces. The unit above the black chisel is a new comb next to the old one on the right. At first, I thought only the intake edge combs were bad until the new parts arrived - then I knew that all of them needed replacement.

My intake edge was completely gone in 2 different areas. Those holes packed with mud and debris should be a steel edge. That yellow tire bead breaker is a slide hammer. That's the best *DanG chisel for weld removal. About $50 delivered from Ebay. The tip is harder than I expected and it made much, much faster work of the weld removal compared to a small sledge and cold chisel. The chain curtain holder was also bent to crap and destroyed. I had to manufacture a new one so that was built up a lot tougher than the original. Again, the plasma cutter made much faster work of that with a pattern rather than trying to cut out nearly 90 slotted holes on the vertical milling machine.

New counter combs installed. New hardened intake edge (cracked steel portion) welded and formed into place with chromium clad HR steel. This will likely last well over the 10k hour mark with this new intake. New, heavier cover plate from an old wear strip with hard facing and a new chain curtain holder built for punishment. I think the chain curtain took somewhere around 85+ feet of 3/8 chains. I also run a rubber curtain behind that to contain my rear discharges.

After balancing the rotor I put it back work. Smaller, finer product on first pass and fewer large chunks discharged most of the time. That went well for the first 2 jobs and then the stinky mud hit the fan on the 3rd job. Here was a view on some shooting lanes for a hunting property on the first job back to work.

TreeMuncher.com  Where only the chosen remain standing

treemuncher

Most of January has been a well framed dung masterpiece as well as December was. About 3 hours from finishing up a job at a remote location, something went wrong and I could not back up my left track. Better to inspect than try to force something - major expletives at high volumes - my inner track frame wear bar was caught by a sharpened track pad and numerous 6"-12" pieces of wear bar are laying on the ground and on the track frame. I can only move forward, slowly, so I put it back on the truck and take it to the shop. Time to pull the track frames, again. 4th time in 4 years if my count is right? Maybe 5 times? I'm getting way too good at it.

Hydraulic tank drained and frames pulled to get started.

There is roughly 50"+ of liner plate missing at the bottom of this left side track frame.

I already knew the right frame track mount bushing had over 12" of cracked weld that needed repair. I brought that into the shop and got the bushing cracks repaired along with numerous other cracks on the lower frame spreader bars. Vee it out with the plasma, preheat and weld base with 7018 rods and then LA100 wire outer weld with the mig. The left side was done a couple years ago and is still crack free. Added seal protection ring after this photo was taken. Factory seals get crushed within 100-200 hours from debris without my change in design.

Every white arrow is a stress crack or a missing link on the bottom of the track frame. The front tie plate was completely missing. Everything was cut out and rebuilt back up. I started to just replace those pieces that were cracked on both sides with wider material and some were also capped with a longer tie piece to strengthen the frame. Lots of stress cracking on these frames as almost every single tie was cracked in at least 1 or more places.

New piece of hardened wear plate installed on left frame, rollers rotated, cracks fixed, some strengthening done on frame parts. New remote grease lines for both frames. Final cap weld with hardfacing wire filled in the 2 diagonal weld gaps and then it was ground down smooth.

Still waiting on 4 new 6000 psi hoses, 2 new 5000 psi hoses and 4 giant seals that run close to $100 each. Hoses were showing some degradation and they can NOT be changed out in the field without partial removal of track frames - better to spend it up front and do it while I can. I'm still not sure if I will put the old hydraulic oil back in or use another barrel of new oil. New set of pads and SALT rails waiting in the yard.

Mulching - likely the most abusive work for any piece of equipment. The only thing that I can thing of much worse would be an asphalt mill but then those never digest huge unseen chunks in the blink of an eye. If you can't fix it yourself, you won't ever make it in the mulching business. Almost every day is a new repair.

Walnut Beast

Chris Wilson in Nashville can get you in a new PrimeTech 😂

Walnut Beast

Quote from: treemuncher on February 07, 2021, 05:40:57 PM
Most of January has been a well framed dung masterpiece as well as December was. About 3 hours from finishing up a job at a remote location, something went wrong and I could not back up my left track. Better to inspect than try to force something - major expletives at high volumes - my inner track frame wear bar was caught by a sharpened track pad and numerous 6"-12" pieces of wear bar are laying on the ground and on the track frame. I can only move forward, slowly, so I put it back on the truck and take it to the shop. Time to pull the track frames, again. 4th time in 4 years if my count is right? Maybe 5 times? I'm getting way too good at it.

Hydraulic tank drained and frames pulled to get started.

There is roughly 50"+ of liner plate missing at the bottom of this left side track frame.

I already knew the right frame track mount bushing had over 12" of cracked weld that needed repair. I brought that into the shop and got the bushing cracks repaired along with numerous other cracks on the lower frame spreader bars. Vee it out with the plasma, preheat and weld base with 7018 rods and then LA100 wire outer weld with the mig. The left side was done a couple years ago and is still crack free. Added seal protection ring after this photo was taken. Factory seals get crushed within 100-200 hours from debris without my change in design.

Every white arrow is a stress crack or a missing link on the bottom of the track frame. The front tie plate was completely missing. Everything was cut out and rebuilt back up. I started to just replace those pieces that were cracked on both sides with wider material and some were also capped with a longer tie piece to strengthen the frame. Lots of stress cracking on these frames as almost every single tie was cracked in at least 1 or more places.

New piece of hardened wear plate installed on left frame, rollers rotated, cracks fixed, some strengthening done on frame parts. New remote grease lines for both frames. Final cap weld with hardfacing wire filled in the 2 diagonal weld gaps and then it was ground down smooth.

Still waiting on 4 new 6000 psi hoses, 2 new 5000 psi hoses and 4 giant seals that run close to $100 each. Hoses were showing some degradation and they can NOT be changed out in the field without partial removal of track frames - better to spend it up front and do it while I can. I'm still not sure if I will put the old hydraulic oil back in or use another barrel of new oil. New set of pads and SALT rails waiting in the yard.

Mulching - likely the most abusive work for any piece of equipment. The only thing that I can thing of much worse would be an asphalt mill but then those never digest huge unseen chunks in the blink of an eye. If you can't fix it yourself, you won't ever make it in the mulching business. Almost every day is a new repair.
Nice Work 👍. A friend of mine bought two of these. This one and another one. He said the new sonic head works awesome 

Walnut Beast

The new sonic head works with the machines electronics and acts like a six speed transmission and increases efficiency 25-30 percent. I'm looking at a head for my machine and since my machine already has a diverter valve all I need to do is plug the electrical in and run the machine for 15 to 20 minutes and it will sync everything electronically  together 

treemuncher

I did not find anything on the Sonic head as mentioned when I searched the web. Is that a smaller head or do they make those for the higher horsepower machines?

I've read the specs on the new Primetechs. Just by the specs, I think I prefer what I have. I'll be happy to keep up with repairs on what I own and avoid the hassles/costs of DEF systems. My machines are paid for - cheaper to keep up good maintenance than take on payments. I already know what I own inside out and how to repair just about everything on them.

After 25 years of owning/operating/repairing mulching equipment, the one thing that I expect from EVERY machine is wear, stress cracks and break downs. Good maintenance is the key to a longer lifespan. I have yet to see any mulcher not have a couple of issues after 1k-2k hours, no matter how stout they are built. It is an abusive life for the machine.

Bruno of NH

Well yesterday while plowing one of the power wings on my blizzard snow plow half broke off.
It pretty worn out.
I will get by till spring but will need to find a good used blade set up this summer.
If I can't find one a new plow set up.
The trucks a 2008 f350 with 20,000 on it.
I don't know if anyone would have a frame mount for a 2008 if I go new.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

g_man

If you can't find the parts it might be worth checking with a welder. The local shop here spends a lot of time beefing up and repairing broken plows on one tons.

gg

Old Greenhorn

My son run 2 plow trucks and his welder is his best friend in business :D ;D. There are the winter storm damage repairs, but they have gone down this year (knock wood). He cleans up his plows over the summer chips them and paints. During that process it is easier to find new defects and he marks them for the welder who comes around before the fall and welds on new plates, fabs up new brackets and pivots, and generally re-builds them. Everything goes on them and it seems better to rebuild heavier as you go and they go further between breakdowns.....until your chassis goes out. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

nativewolf

@treemuncher So that is an impressive workout on that machine.  I notice you also have an excavator and a bit wheel machine.  Is that your whole fleet?  Do you like that lamtrac?  I had only considered the CMI machines but am holding off for 2 more years now, every $ accounted for and I don't regret selling our single machine.  I like the FAE head that we owned but it needed a much larger carrier.  It was ...interesting to see the internal damage not just to wear parts but to the frame of the head.  Well done! on that repair job.  Looks very professional, better than service from a third party.

We'd like something like a CMI 250 and an excavator with high hydraulic flow with a small head.
Liking Walnut

treemuncher

Quote from: nativewolf on February 18, 2021, 09:08:20 AM
@treemuncher So that is an impressive workout on that machine.  I notice you also have an excavator and a bit wheel machine.  Is that your whole fleet?  Do you like that lamtrac?  I had only considered the CMI machines but am holding off for 2 more years now, every $ accounted for and I don't regret selling our single machine.  I like the FAE head that we owned but it needed a much larger carrier.  It was ...interesting to see the internal damage not just to wear parts but to the frame of the head.  Well done! on that repair job.  Looks very professional, better than service from a third party.

We'd like something like a CMI 250 and an excavator with high hydraulic flow with a small head.
Nativewolf,

I'm still working on getting everything ready (and learning) the Menzi A91F excavator (seen behind the Lamtrac). There are 31 possible functions on each joystick so there is a learning curve when you throw extreme slopes and gravity into the mix. It will work almost anywhere. I've recently purchased a tree shear for that as well as a Seppi cutterhead, buckets and more. That machine has a dedicated pump that allows me to adjust flow 0-45 gpm and pressure 0-5100 psi for any attachment that I want to put on it. I also have 4 other accessory circuits that can be plumbed in. And it has a Rototilt coupler as well for more impossible angles of attack.

My big excavator you mentioned is a PC200LC-6 with a 300 hp cummins 8.3 to run the cutterhead hydraulics. It will clobber out the big stuff pretty fast but it can't cover the daily acreage that the track or tire machines can. The Barko 937 is the rubber tired machine - super fast in easy terrain conditions but with a heavy ground pressure, it's applications are limited. 10-20 acres a day is not uncommon for that machine if the detailing does not have to be perfect and it drinks about 20 gallons of diesel per hour. I still have a Fecon FTX140FM that I want to sell off - not using it any more because I've transitioned out of those smaller jobs. Great machine that will outperform any skid steer that I've ever run and it's built for the punishment of daily forestry work. 

I've looked at CMI, Bron, Primetech, Fecon, Risley and many others. I took the advice of another owner/operator when I purchased the Lamtrac from him - he owned numerous units of many makes. Are there problems with it? Yes, many small issues but the major stuff, like cooling, has never been a problem. Well, except for the factory issues with radiant heat from the exhaust overheating the engine bay and melting components - I got that fixed with my own design. I have a tendency to fix/alter anything that I am not satisfied with. I also changed the head mount to a floating design. I would like to bitch-slap the programmer of the track hydraulics - no tracked machine should EVER turn by speeding up the outside track velocity - that is just STUPID - but that is what you get from a desk engineer that has never been an operating engineer. But for the most part, the hydraulic pressures run high for extreme torque and I've had few major issues with the machine. I love the Cummins 8.3 engines and this one is a beast. I'm not sure exactly what has been done to it but fuel rate tables make me believe that it has been tuned to over 350 hp. 24"-36" diameter hardwoods are just daily snacks for this thing and the FAE is a great head.

Still waiting for our rare snow to melt off so that I can get my track frames back on with the forklift. The ground should be hard for a day or two as we've seen temps as low as 1 degree and below freezing for 5+ days but those slick tires won't stand for these conditions. I work alone so I depend on that lift to allow me to get things done. Just a holding pattern for now so tax work at the desk it is while I tend the fire and wait for warmth.

nativewolf

Same weather here, no snow just sleet and lots of it.  

Well that is an impressive set of equipment.  How far are you from Bristol?  I had never heard of a Menzi so I had to look that one up.  Neat, wonder if it could run a dangle head harvester?  

Anyway, really appreciate your post.  Clear that you've got some interesting stories and good experience in the mulching world.  Wish you were a bit closer. 

Ever do any subsoiling work?
Liking Walnut

Walnut Beast

Quote from: treemuncher on February 18, 2021, 11:06:40 AM
Quote from: nativewolf on February 18, 2021, 09:08:20 AM
@treemuncher So that is an impressive workout on that machine.  I notice you also have an excavator and a bit wheel machine.  Is that your whole fleet?  Do you like that lamtrac?  I had only considered the CMI machines but am holding off for 2 more years now, every $ accounted for and I don't regret selling our single machine.  I like the FAE head that we owned but it needed a much larger carrier.  It was ...interesting to see the internal damage not just to wear parts but to the frame of the head.  Well done! on that repair job.  Looks very professional, better than service from a third party.

Nativewolf,

I'm still working on getting everything ready (and learning) the Menzi A91F excavator (seen behind the Lamtrac). There are 31 possible functions on each joystick so there is a learning curve when you throw extreme slopes and gravity into the mix. It will work almost anywhere. I've recently purchased a tree shear for that as well as a Seppi cutterhead, buckets and more. That machine has a dedicated pump that allows me to adjust flow 0-45 gpm and pressure 0-5100 psi for any attachment that I want to put on it. I also have 4 other accessory circuits that can be plumbed in. And it has a Rototilt coupler as well for more impossible angles of attack.

My big excavator you mentioned is a PC200LC-6 with a 300 hp cummins 8.3 to run the cutterhead hydraulics. It will clobber out the big stuff pretty fast but it can't cover the daily acreage that the track or tire machines can. The Barko 937 is the rubber tired machine - super fast in easy terrain conditions but with a heavy ground pressure, it's applications are limited. 10-20 acres a day is not uncommon for that machine if the detailing does not have to be perfect and it drinks about 20 gallons of diesel per hour. I still have a Fecon FTX140FM that I want to sell off - not using it any more because I've transitioned out of those smaller jobs. Great machine that will outperform any skid steer that I've ever run and it's built for the punishment of daily forestry work.

I've looked at CMI, Bron, Primetech, Fecon, Risley and many others. I took the advice of another owner/operator when I purchased the Lamtrac from him - he owned numerous units of many makes. Are there problems with it? Yes, many small issues but the major stuff, like cooling, has never been a problem. Well, except for the factory issues with radiant heat from the exhaust overheating the engine bay and melting components - I got that fixed with my own design. I have a tendency to fix/alter anything that I am not satisfied with. I also changed the head mount to a floating design. I would like to bitch-slap the programmer of the track hydraulics - no tracked machine should EVER turn by speeding up the outside track velocity - that is just STUPID - but that is what you get from a desk engineer that has never been an operating engineer. But for the most part, the hydraulic pressures run high for extreme torque and I've had few major issues with the machine. I love the Cummins 8.3 engines and this one is a beast. I'm not sure exactly what has been done to it but fuel rate tables make me believe that it has been tuned to over 350 hp. 24"-36" diameter hardwoods are just daily snacks for this thing and the FAE is a great head.

Still waiting for our rare snow to melt off so that I can get my track frames back on with the forklift. The ground should be hard for a day or two as we've seen temps as low as 1 degree and below freezing for 5+ days but those slick tires won't stand for these conditions. I work alone so I depend on that lift to allow me to get things done. Just a holding pattern for now so tax work at the desk it is while I tend the fire and wait for warmth.

Your Lamtrac must be the 8300. That is the same unit that my friend had that went to the two PrimeTech machines. He was running a Denis Cimaf 250 and loved it but he really likes the new FAE sonic head on the PrimeTechs. Thanks for sharing a lot of your experiences and interesting information

Thank You Sponsors!