iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member first post

Started by bandit11208, December 21, 2012, 08:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit11208

This forum is awesome!!!First a little about myself. I'm 52 a lifelong woodworker and hunter. Back in 2000 my girlfriend and I purchased 80 acres in Northern Minnesota, been dreaming of a mill since. Last June Kathy bought me a woodland mills hm 26 band mill (she's a keeper) and in July we had a storm rip threw and we lost about 30% of our trees. Mostly aspen, spruce and balsam. Unfortunately most are less than 10" in diameter but there is still plenty to saw. Been reading this forum for about 4 months and have learned a lot but a lot more to learn.
Just a couple questions for now.
1. When cutting aspen how much lube if any at all?
2. I know some on here do not seal the ends of pine logs but how about aspen?
3. Since wood drys slowly in winter do you need to seal the ends of aspen boards in winter for air drying?Thanks all and have a Merry Christmas.
P.S. I know you all like pics. Hopefully I get it right.
First mill project

Woodland mills Hm126, Sthil MS461, MS261, MS250, MS180, 1949 Ford 8n, Ariens 27 ton splitter.

paul case

Welcome to the forum.

Nice pics and good looking mill and saws ya got there. You done well on those boxes and the building.
I know nothing about aspen so I cant help ya there. No doubt someone here has the answer.

When you said ''she's a keeper'' did you mean the new mill or your Kathy? or maybe Kathy is the mill's name? ;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Bandit, there is so much I like about your VERY FIRST post, it's like an early Christmas. ;)

You came right out of the Shute and told us about yourself, posted pics. and asked questions.

You really should receive some kind of prize.

From your pics, I love your operation and all you equipment.

Someone else, I'm sure will answer your questions.....but I can say WELCOME TO THE FORUM!  :christmas:

P.S. Do you eat Grits?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandit11208

Kathy my girlfriend is the keeper. The mill works very well but I'm already dreaming of a LT40.
Woodland mills Hm126, Sthil MS461, MS261, MS250, MS180, 1949 Ford 8n, Ariens 27 ton splitter.

Jeff

I've sawn around a hundred million board feet of aspen. Never once saw a sealed end on a log unless it was by mud. Good job on the photos, and on the chest. I'm a bit partial to aspen. :)

Poston, he could win a prize, he could enter the Christmas Contest and have a chance at several! :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: bandit11208 on December 21, 2012, 09:00:59 PM
I'm already dreaming of a LT40.

Like they say on the "Price is Right"........COME ON DOWN!

bandit11208

Poston
   The only grits I eat are after taking a digger off a wet log in the sand. Although I try to spit most of them out. ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: bandit11208 on December 21, 2012, 09:11:00 PM
Poston
   The only grits I eat are after taking a digger off a wet log in the sand. Although I try to spit most of them out. ;D

Good one Bandit.....you're gonna fit right in!  :D

drobertson

Bandit, welcome home! :christmas:  nice work you have going on there, up there where the grits have to be better when the weather is so cold, and the snow so deep.  I can think of nothing better than cutting aspen, building all your projects and at the end of the day getting close to a nice, warm, buttery, cheesy bowl of grits ;D 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

bandit11208,your comment on g...s, you're a keeper.  ;D  welcome to the forum.You have 6 chainsaws,a mill,8n or 9n Ford tractor,looks like a spring tooth harrow in the 3rd picture,a bunch of Logrites tools. You are ready.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Very nice looking work.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Very seldom, if ever, would we end coat aspen or pine logs or lumber.  The reason it that it has a low tendency to end split due to drying.

Ditto on the previous comments about your work, gf and mill.  Welcome.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: bandit11208 on December 21, 2012, 09:11:00 PM
Hey, I like this guy already!!!! ;)
Welcome aboard bandit! Nice operation you got going there and crisp pic's too- and right out of the gate. You don't mess around!!

Leigh Family Farm

Welcome to the Forum! Grits ain't that bad...they ain't that good either  :D :D :D
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Welcome to the forum Bandit and glad you got a keeper. My wife Kristina is a keeper to. She buys me more tools than I buy for myself. :christmas:
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

samandothers

Bandit
Welcome!  Love the old ?N Ford, real dependable work horse for its size.  Nice looking mill and great job on the chest.   This cutting the top off with the mill is catching on. May have to try it.
  :christmas:

bandit11208

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone......... Saman its a 49 8n with 27 horses.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    bandit11208.   :)

Congrats on the post, pictures, GF, but it is obvious that you don't know grit about grits.   ;D

Again, Welcome and  :christmas:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Seaman

Welcome, squared away lookin operation you got there. I'm new here myself, and know you will find lots of help.
I know nothing about Aspen, but a thing or two about grits. Butter, cheese, and a bate of shrimp sauteed with onions and butter.
Have fun on here, these Boys are a riot.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Brad_bb

Welcome!  Ditto on many of the other comments.  What is the wooden tower structure in the one pic behind the mill?  Just curious.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WDH

Wow!  Good to have you here.  Always add crumbled bacon in the gravy for your shrimp and grits.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

Welcome to the forum Bandit, I'd also like to know about the tower, maybe a windmill?  Nice job on everything also!

schakey

Welcome Bandit ;D I really like the 8n when I get a mill will also get a 8n.
Come on guys,everyone can't help but to like grits :snowball:
:christmas:  :new_year:
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

m wood

bandit, this place is Awesome!  WOW, Nicely done, pics and all.  not to be too presumptuous but you sound a bit like me ( except i couldnt gets pics to post last week :().  acres of woods and a new wife wanting to get that mill as bad as i want it.  How many months did you have to dream of cutting logs and flying dust?  Lately, thats all I can do.  HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR WOODLAND MILLS?  Is that black sub frame i see there come standard?

again...congrats, welcome, nice to meet ya
mark 
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Lud

Welcome to the forum.  I  like seeing you Ford tractor.  If you weld a bi you can build  stuff to help around the mill.

I'd switched from 6 to 12 volt on my Ford so I could hang a winch and here's the mast I hang a snatch block on.  With the blade down ,  you can safely maneuver  a big stick from a safe distance. 

[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12867/Mill406iopt.jpg[/i
mg]

HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE! :christmas:
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

bandit11208

m wood....this place is AWSOME. Been on here for a couple months and the knowledge I've gained is priceless. I like the mill. There is a learning curve to it and I found out the hard way that blue loctite is your friend. The frame your referring to is a trailer I welded up for it. The wheels are removable by pulling a pin so I can set it up lower for ease of loading with the 3 pt on tractor.

The tower in the pic is the base for an enclosed deer stand. It will be insulated and heated, Northern Minnesota gets cold and I'm getting to old or maybe to smart to sit for hours in 0 degree weather.

Lud, I do weld. So far I've welded up the trailer for the mill and the forks for the 3 pt on the tractor. I have a log arch in the works for the ATV for in tight places and a cultipacker for some food plots I installed on the place.

I'm glad you guys like pics cause I like sharing them. Let me know if you get sick of them.

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome to the forum.
Nice pics and nice setup.
Tried towing my old LT40hd which Chuck White now has with my ATV down an incline ONCE and got quite a ride.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!