iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing American Chestnut

Started by Sawdust Lover, December 25, 2012, 02:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawdust Lover

Since I bought my mill a few years ago I have been sawing alot of reclaimed lumber. I find and buy old buildings that are falling down around southwest Va. and try to salvage what I can. Here are some pics of some clear chestnut I cut yesterday from a barn built in 1850. It is slow cutting with all the nails and waste but the end product is well worth it.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Dave Shepard

That's neat. I've sawn two chestnut logs, both had been buried for over a hundred years. The lumber was just as nice as the one on your mill. What are you going to make out of it?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jueston

thats some good looking lumber, deffinitly worth the effort, and i'm sure people are willing to pay for that effort, reclaimed lumber can fetch a pretty good price these days.

Sawdust Lover

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 25, 2012, 04:03:25 PM
That's neat. I've sawn two chestnut logs, both had been buried for over a hundred years. The lumber was just as nice as the one on your mill. What are you going to make out of it?
I keep some of it for building furniture in my shop but most of it is sold. I have sent it as far north as New Hampshire and as far west a Kansas.

bandmiller2

Some of the older utility poles are chestnut,many have minimal treatment some just to ground level.I made a split rail fence from one,the grain was so straight I put a wedge in one end and split the whole pole.Big shame we lost them, one of the most usefull trees we had. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

clww

I was just thinking, what metal detector do you use?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

kelLOGg

I sawed Chestnut for a master furniture maker who got the logs from a barn in Va. He filled the knot and insect holes with dark epoxy and built a beautiful dining room table.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Sawdust Lover

Quote from: clww on December 25, 2012, 09:46:33 PM
I was just thinking, what metal detector do you use?
I bought 2 wands from Woodcraft, not sure the make but they cost around $130.00 each. They dont miss a nail!

WDH

I think that it would make great paneling.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!