iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqy 460 Rancher or 550 xp - for chainsaw milling - tradesman here, no sawyer,

Started by Shaney, September 03, 2017, 02:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaney

So I'm an old jack-of-all-trades and master of none, seeking input from experienced sawyers on whether there would be significant difference in chainsaw milling with either of these saws (?) Have been researching, the 460 with it's 60cc vs. the 50cc. of the 550 - this is about as high as I can go on pricem and Husqy has the 550 on sale right now. Wondering if the 460 has more ass in the torque dept, wondering if that is even a consideration. Also - seems like with the Husqy's you get more bang for your buck than Stihl's, and I say that hesitantly knowing how popular Stihls are. Thoughts?

So now I'm thinking Husky 562...

TreeStandHunter

I would try and find a used higher cc saw if I were you. Milling is slow with my MS460, its not tough to find a Stihl 066 or higher for a good price and you will be much happier with the cut speed and how much the saw will work you.
In the process of building my own mill.

Shaney

Thank you for your response. I started another thread on the chainsaw thread, the only response suggested nothing less than a 70 to 90cc. Tentative plans to build a bandsaw this fall, but in the mean time just getting started. Not cutting anything bigger than 20"...

celliott

Both of those saws would be inadequate for milling.... and likely wouldn't last long. The 460 is a plastic cased rancher grade saw, and the 550 is a 50cc high performance saw better suited to limbing, brush and small firewood. I wouldn't recommend a 562xp either, that's a high rpm, high performance saw that has a history of heat issues.
Even if you are milling maximum 20", you'll need to run a 24" bar to account for mounting the mill. Like others have said, it's sound advice, 70cc at a minimum. Or just wait till you get a bandmill.

Take a good look at a husky 365, it's 70cc and built rugged, priced lower than a 372. Or keep your eyes out for a decent used big bore saw, like a 385xp, 390, 395, 066\660 stihl.
Dolmar 6400 could also be considered for a rugged saw at a price point.

I use a 395xp for milling and even doing 20" and under hemlock, I can't imagine using a smaller saw.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Shaney

Sounds like good advice from folks who didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I have decided to heed that advice and build a band saw. I can get all the logs I need for free, a good friend owns a tree service. Gonna do some light stuff with an Alaskan-style, but would rather put the investment into the band saw.

Thanks to all who replied! steered this newbie right...

Thank You Sponsors!