iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bobcat 763/863/873?? Input needed

Started by Ironwood, January 05, 2012, 08:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Well, here  go again. I decided to look for an 873 or 863.

Does anyone have experience with the Duetz diesel in the skidloader? the earliest (843's) had Isuzu's  then Duetz, then Kubota. I would love a later Kubota, but my budget will likely land me a 1997-2000 Duetz.

Any input greatly appriciated.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

donny hochstetler

Ihave an 863 I dont know exact year it had 2300 hrs, when I got it the guy I got it from deals in equipment he had it cleaned n painted new tires new muffler pretty niceI checked it out real well it has not given me any problems since I had it 5 yrs.  I dont use it to hard just prop maint. I did several lot jobs but mostly for the size of it  its been just piddle work it is a big machine he told me to keep an eye on the oilcooler which sets right above the muffler when they get hrs. they will get brittle n spray hyd. fl. on muffler n you got yourself a fire he said he just changes the oilcooler n the hyd. lines every 2000 hrs. n that takes care of that my broth bought a brand new 250 the same time I bought mine used his had the joystick nothing but trouble all related to the joysticks he traded it last month at 2500 hrs. after the third set of joystiks he got rid of it I think the new ones have been improved good luck in finding one   p.s. dont come shopping in our area as the local bobcat is trying to sell my bros. 250  :D :D

Ironwood

Thanks, FYI also say change the timing belt every 3 years or 900 ours, they break, bend valve guides or something.

Also, have a posssible smaller machine at local farm, gentlemans farm, vet. who has an 763, tracks, and a spare tire and pallet forks, 1500 hours, well kept. dont know price yet, he is friend of friend, might be NICE, need to go see it. He's tradin for bigger machine to run a flail mower.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sandhills

I ran a 843, 773, then a 250?, for the guy I milked for he traded every 2 years (I think) for the machine the city had leased and if memory serves correct I think they usually had about 1600 hrs when we got them.  Never had any trouble with them, NEVER shedded or plugged in and at 2:30 am on the coldest nights always fired right up (personally I'd have plugged them in).  I have ran Bobcats for the last 20 some years and loved them and them only after running a lot of other brands, not to start any arguments or discussions, before you buy, go test drive a Caterpillar of similar size/value, the only other brand I could just climb in and run, I really like them and they are very user friendly, especially if you may have someone with little or no experience that has to run it.  Just a thought.

Ironwood

Well,  I was doing an online price/ Craigslsit search to see what is reasonable to ask for the Vetenarian's 763 Bobcat I found one just listed in Pittsburgh, same machine needed tires and paint. So, immeadiately called the guy and scheduled to meet him first thing this morning. While I was there he got several other  calls wanting to look, so not too much room to push price lower, but it purred like a kitten (1800 hours), burned no oil/ blow by, and was generally tight. had a new set of heavy duty pallet forks, and bucket with tooth bar. Bottom of bucket needs some attention. Got it for auction/ trade-in price without the auction. While on my way to look at it called the Vet, and he was wanting 11-12K, which while not out of my price range, I dont need the tracks right away, and new tires on the one I bought can wait, so perhaps a justification, the 3500+/- savings makes the leap a little less painful. He delivered it (he offered) and brought $200-300 worth of Bobcat brand filters, hydr oil and such, he appriciated my not trying to ridiculusly low ball him on it intially, so that paid off.

So, kind of excited, I have rented and run several of the exact machines years ago, my one excavator I used to use had one and I used it ALOT when he was here. I really wanted an 863/873, but the price/condition/ timing was right.

Also, talked to a local landscaper ( while at NAPA) that has 5-6 newer Bobcat "jostick" machines, he has had VERY good luck with Bobcat over the years, but he has about had it with the  Joysticks, nothing but headaches. He wasnt real happy about it, seems EVERYONE has had the same issues. So, design flaw.

Ironwood

sandhills

Glad to hear you got a machine, and to be honest I didn't know Bobcat made one with a joystick until reading this thread.  Have fun with it, with that few of hours you shouldn't have any troubles.   :)

Brad_S.

Too late to the party to be of help but...
I had a 743 and upgraded to an 863. Huge difference in lifting capability! I would have advised you to bypass the 700 series and go with the 800 but too late now.
Very rugged machines, you will wonder how you ever got by without one.
You can pick up buckets fairly cheap at auctions held by Lyons Auctions held all over the country.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Ironwood

Thanks Brad, I am familar with both the 863 and the 763, my neighbor has an 863 and if it were not for my 4 forklifts here I would have definitely went that route. The other reason to go 863 would be my land clearing needed to be done, but I do have a REALLY good sized hoe to put on the front to "prep" them for knocking over, given poximity of the 763 and budget considerations it seemed a no brainer. Would I like a bigger machine, sure but I know the 7 is still a good dependable machine, it will just take a little longer to do some tasks. Could not pass it up for basically 8K.

Thanks though, Ironwood

Ironwood

Pics, not yet cleaned up. This is my oldest son, we had to put 2 25 lb weights to engage the safety under the seat (he isnt heavy enough)

Ironwood

Brad,

Also, I thought the 743 and 763 were the same machines with a differing engine, but if you look at the specs, they upgraded in several areas, lift, tip and, HP, even the 843/863 had an upgrade "creep"

I think the 863 is 75 HP mine 46. The lift rating is 1800 on yours and mine is 1500 or so. They dont list the digging force but yours should be a bigger ratio then the difference in the "lift" due to the HP, especially if you can get the power to the ground with tracks. 

Also, I have several single axle trailers with enough GVW to be able to haul the 763

Stump Jumper

you will have trouble keeping your boy out of it now ;)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Ironwood

I just looked it up again, and a 763 is pretty darn close to an 843, operatiing weight, HP, and lift ability.

Ironwood

oakiemac

I have a '97 873 with the duetz engine. Good running machine and it can lift much more then people think. I can definately pick up 3500lbs.
Congrats on the machine you bought, I'm sure you will like it.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ironwood

I like that 873, nice unit. There is one for auction in eastern Pa, opens on the 17th. There is a video of it, seems nice, if it goes for less than 10-K I will be bummed, I could have bought it. ;)

http://www.auctiontime.com/OnlineAuctions/Details.aspx?OHID=8172426&lp=mat
Ironwood

plowboyswr

Nice  8) now ya need to start thinkin attachments don't go cheap. Heavy duty root grapple handles logs beautifully my brother is an artist with one on his  S185. Then there comes a tree shear, backhoe, and the list goes on and on. A skid loader with only one attachment is like a tractor with only a disk to pull. It'll do one job well but capable of a lot more.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Ironwood

Well, I hear you on the attachments, I have a hoe already to go on, I am going to make a root grapple with the tines off this block fork truck (pic below).

Also, today I picked up a set of "top shelf" Grouser brand tracks barely used off CL for a grand (a steal in my book), I know how much they make a difference, and I would never be able to justify the new cost of the Loering or Grouser. I am REALLY excited about that find. Dont have them on yet, I will use them for "dirt work" mostly.

I will be putting these tires on it and filling them with "reclaimed" foam
http://www.titanstore.com/info/43H3R8

I moved  8 truck loads of fill with it today, about 50-60 ton. Worked great.

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!