iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

10 inch saw blades. What do you recommend?

Started by 21incher, August 28, 2016, 02:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I have been using a contractors saw with thin kerf Freud combination blades for the last 30 years . Never got perfect results, but the saw was not capable of perfect cuts and only was 1HP. I just ordered a Grizzly G1023RLWX cabinet saw that is 5 HP and should be capable of better precision. I want to order new blades for it so I am looking for input on the blades that everyone uses. I am looking for recommendations for a good general purpose blade,  a good glue line ripping blade, and a good 8" dado set that has very little tearout. I need full kerf blades because of the riving knife setup.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

isawlogs

I have a 12 inche cabinet saw and I have a few blades for it, I use a 10 inche thin kerf Freud riping blade most of the time as it is way cheaper then a the 12 inche to buy and get sharpened. I do have a 12 inche freud riping blade for the deep cuts. As I almost only ever rip on my table saw I have litle use for a combination blade for it and a good riping blade will do the job nicely when ever I need to crosscut with it.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

barbender

I have always preferred the Freud blades, but I've never tried the more expensive manufacturers. They are the best I can get locally, FWIW.
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

Give a Forrest blade a try or a good quality amana .
I have the Dewalt hybread cabinet saw with the sliding crosscut table
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Larry

In my stable of 40 tooth combination blades I have a Freud, an old Freud Avanti, a couple of Forrest WW-II's, and an old premium Craftsman.  I'm not sure I could have seen much difference in performance when new and know for sure there is no difference since having them sharpened a few times each.  I keep them all sharp and will switch one out at the first hint of it dulling.

For ripping I only have experience with Freud glue line rips and have been satisfied.  I generally change from a combination blade to a rip if I have more than a board or two to saw.

I use a CMT dado set I got on sale at Lowes.  I'm sure there are higher quality sets but it has done ok in solid woods.  I seldom if ever do plywood anymore which is the real test for dado blades....plywood is also the test for crosscut and combination blades.  It takes an excellent blade along with an accurate saw to deliver splinter free cuts for any length of time.

From my experience I think you would probably be satisfied with any of the high end Freud's or Forrest.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

21incher

Thanks. It sounds like I should stick with Freud. I have read good and bad about the Forest Woodworker II so I am thinking about avoiding that one. I have a couple of old Freud LU84M11 blades I may try and find someone that can sharpen them. I will have to look into the Amana also. The saw will be used mainly for ripping so I guess that I will order a rip blade first. Hopefully it won't be to hard to  sell my Delta contractors saw with a sliding table on craigslist this week.:)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

I have used exclusively Freud and Forrest WWII.  The Forrest stays sharper and cuts cleaner much longer.  Both cut the same when new and sharp. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

In the end I purchased a Freud P410 premiere fusion That I am very happy with. Clean crosscuts any thickness and rips up to 1 1/2" stock great. It was a toss up between that and the Forrest, but the Freud was about $40.00 cheeper on Amazon and had better reviews so I decided to try it. I think I will pick up the Freud rip blade next because the 410 blade is slow when  ripping 2" stock. Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

jamesamd

excellent choice  8) I have 5 that get rotated as they resin up. They stay on the saw always unless I'm making a quick dado.
I have both the freud and cmt dado sets, identical, freud made in italy. cmt made in EU, duh!
Best of luck with Your new saw ;D
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

AlaskaLes

We're using mainly Freud blades and those would be the upper priced range.  I've had great success with those so far. 
We went with the Infinity 8" Dado set.  It was near 300.00, but still a bit less than the Forrest we were looking at.  Bought the 150.00 freud dado set first and had all kinds of tearout, so we took it back.
Infinity blades are very good and I plan to try some of their 10" blades in the future.
We're running these on the 5hp Industrial SawStop.

I've cut several 2"-3" slabs to size and I am amazed at how easily this saw slices through 3" of solid wood.  The motor just loads up and keeps on chewing.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

sawguy21

I just got a decent 10" for hauling it away, the shop didn't want to bother trying to sell it, but the blades are resined up. What do you suggest for cleaning them? They are relatively inexpensive carbide tips but at my skill level they should serve just fine. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

21incher

Quote from: AlaskaLes on October 10, 2016, 02:30:26 PM
We're using mainly Freud blades and those would be the upper priced range.  I've had great success with those so far. 
We went with the Infinity 8" Dado set.  It was near 300.00, but still a bit less than the Forrest we were looking at.  Bought the 150.00 freud dado set first and had all kinds of tearout, so we took it back.
Infinity blades are very good and I plan to try some of their 10" blades in the future.
We're running these on the 5hp Industrial SawStop.

I've cut several 2"-3" slabs to size and I am amazed at how easily this saw slices through 3" of solid wood.  The motor just loads up and keeps on chewing.
I was thinking about that freud dado set and found many reviews that also had tearout issues like you. I am currently thinking about the Dewalt set with 4 wing center cutters that seems to be in my price range with good reviews. The best part about having the horsepower is being able to use full kerf blades that don't flex like the thin kerfs I used on my old saw. :)

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Just Me

I use FS Tool and commercial Freud blades, bot are good with a nod to the FS Tool.

Don't use a dado a lot but have a Forest that has 20+ years use on it, cuts well with no chipout. Its a 10". If you have a ten inch saw and have the HP I would recommend an 8" size dado.

btulloh

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 10, 2016, 03:53:37 PM
I just got a decent 10" for hauling it away, the shop didn't want to bother trying to sell it, but the blades are resined up. What do you suggest for cleaning them? They are relatively inexpensive carbide tips but at my skill level they should serve just fine. ;D

I soak them in a shallow pan with a lot of baking soda and a few drops of DW deterg.  Start with hot water.  Leave them in for a while and then rinse.  The resin just falls off.  I've seen lot's of other ways but this has always worked for me.
HM126

btulloh

Quote from: AlaskaLes on October 10, 2016, 02:30:26 PM

Good discussion on dado blades. 

Does the Infinity dado leave a smooth bottom?
HM126

AlaskaLes

We are presently building funeral urns and jewelry boxes, etc from our KD wood.
When we started last year, we needed to get our tools up to the standards of production that we were striving for.  The Freud set was their 2nd most expensive...125.00+
The bottom of the dado slots were not smooth and the edges where it exited had tearout.
After 20-30 dado slots...there were several carbides trying to release from the blade.
I really like Freud and use them a lot, but this was very substandard for Freud.

The Infinity dado set is Excellent!!  They cut smooth at the edges and almost perfectly smooth in the bottom of the slots.  They are very well balanced and run (I think) 24 teeth on the outer blades and the 4 blade cutters in the center.

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

21incher

Quote from: AlaskaLes on October 11, 2016, 02:06:49 PM
We are presently building funeral urns and jewelry boxes, etc from our KD wood.
When we started last year, we needed to get our tools up to the standards of production that we were striving for.  The Freud set was their 2nd most expensive...125.00+
The bottom of the dado slots were not smooth and the edges where it exited had tearout.
After 20-30 dado slots...there were several carbides trying to release from the blade.
I really like Freud and use them a lot, but this was very substandard for Freud.

The Infinity dado set is Excellent!!  They cut smooth at the edges and almost perfectly smooth in the bottom of the slots.  They are very well balanced and run (I think) 24 teeth on the outer blades and the 4 blade cutters in the center.

I was checking out the 8 inch infinity dado set on the infinity site and it is on sale for $219 and there is a $20 coupon code so is $199, but they list it as having 6 - 6 tooth center blades. Is that the set you have? I didn't see a 4 tooth center cutter set like you mentioned.  I think I may try one since you have had good results using one.  :)

azmtnman

I didn't see anybody mention Diablo blades. Doesn't anyone use those? I have had good luck with their 7-1/4 circular saw blades and have 10" on our miter saws. They seem to last and cut nicely.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

AlaskaLes

21",
I was just sittin here sipping on a nice dark beer and slowing down for the evening, and I read this and hustled out to the shop to check.
I was wrong...I bought them last year. This is the 8" Dado set.  They are indeed the 6 tooth chippers.  The right/left blades are in the dado saw so I didn't count them, but we are very happy and I would buy them again.
The set comes with right side; left side; 4@1/8"; 1@1/16"; 1@1/32"; and shim pack.
After messing around with the Freud that disappointed and shouldn't have...I would buy these or the Forrest.  They have the best history of happy customers.
The only thing I think the Forrest might have over these is, Infinity uses poly/plastic disc shims.   Forrest uses metal disc shims.  Maybe better...I haven't had any issues with this kit.

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

AlaskaLes

We've run the Diablo blades and they are fine.  They are a brand of Freud.
I like Freud, but their dado let me down.
Not flat in the bottom of the dado and several carbides delaminating after maybe 20' of dado's.

My wife...learning to do fine woodworking...told a good story about taking the Freud dado back to the store and explaining to the young clerk that although he thought they were really good, it just wasn't cutting well enough for the products we were putting out. 
She made me proud!!

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

21incher

Quote from: AlaskaLes on October 21, 2016, 03:55:02 AM
21",
I was just sittin here sipping on a nice dark beer and slowing down for the evening, and I read this and hustled out to the shop to check.
I was wrong...I bought them last year. This is the 8" Dado set.  They are indeed the 6 tooth chippers.  The right/left blades are in the dado saw so I didn't count them, but we are very happy and I would buy them again.
The set comes with right side; left side; 4@1/8"; 1@1/16"; 1@1/32"; and shim pack.
After messing around with the Freud that disappointed and shouldn't have...I would buy these or the Forrest.  They have the best history of happy customers.
The only thing I think the Forrest might have over these is, Infinity uses poly/plastic disc shims.   Forrest uses metal disc shims.  Maybe better...I haven't had any issues with this kit.

Thanks for the response, sorry to interrupt your beer. I now have a 8" set on the way.  $199.00  with free shipping seemed like a good price for a highly rated set that has your approval. My old Craftsman set uses paper shims that have lasted  34 years so I think the plastic should last ok. Now I just have to make up a good jig for making box joints.  :)

btulloh

This seems to have turned into a thread on dado blades, so I'll just keep going on that . . .

I bought a Freud box joint set a few years ago and really like it.  I guess they still sell it.  It's just 2 blades.  By reversing the way the blades are stacked you get either 1/4 or 3/8 box joints. It works really well for box joints and is pretty cheap.  Of course it doesn't have the versatility of a stacked dado, but it's also quicker to set up.  You still have to make your own fence for your miter gauge and make it accurately.   If you're just looking the make clean box joints it's a lot cheaper than a good dado set.
HM126

21incher

AlaskaLes that Dadonator set is awesome. Thanks for the info.  8)

AlaskaLes

Glad your happy with them...we sure are!!
I'll be using them a lot on a good project in the coming months.

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

Thank You Sponsors!