iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hard Maple Burl Use?

Started by farmer9, March 08, 2013, 04:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer9

A large maple tree blew down this winter, and there is a "burl" when the tree split. Im a novice woodworker and was wondering if it has any value, and if i can make anything nice out of it, and how to do it. Im new to woodworking and to this forum, so not sure it this is where i should post this. I will try to download a photo but not sure if i knowhow. Thanks
Well, uploading didnt work, so any help appreiciated.

t

thecfarm

farmer9,welcome to the forum. My wood working skills stop when the tree hits the ground.   ;D  But can help out with the pictures,

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Try some searches on the forum, farmer. Maple burl has some nice grain. Many turn pieces, and I'm not so sure much of it gets cut for boards.

But I'm not sure you mean burl growth or a split crotch. Sounds like a crotch. While the grain can be interesting in a crotch, I'm not sure maple is all that desirable. Walnut would be.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmer9

OK, here goes with a photo of what i think is a "burl"..thanks for the info on how to post a photo. Is there any way i can store/protect the burl if i cut it off and store it in my barn, or will it decay fast?

mesquite buckeye

Pretty close to a forest photo for the censors. ;D If the burls are solid, it is best to preform them and coat them with wax to slow and even out the drying process. Most turners rough turn this kind of material green, then re- turn after the piece has dried and more or less stabilized.

They can also be milled into veneer if that is your preference. Also best done green.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!