iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can anyone help ID these wooden shelves?

Started by Kennycrybaby, February 09, 2016, 02:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kennycrybaby

I pulled down some shelves that were decades old in my mother's house, and have been using them for various wood-working projects. Here are some images after running them through the jointer and sanding them down a little to take the finish off. Any ideas? I obviously know nothing about ID'ing wood, but will be checking this forum out to hopefully educate myself. Thanks in advance.

Off site pictures are not allowed, please read the forum rules about posting pictures in your thread.

sandhills

Sorry, can't help with the ID but welcome to the forum, you found the right place and someone will be along shortly to answer your question.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Kennycrybaby.

The last board on the home page gives picture posting instructions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kennycrybaby

Whoops, sorry Magicman. Let me try again...

Again, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

beenthere

What I see in the boards is pine.. maybe white.

What I see in the end-grain shots is fast grown and not the cut-off ends of the boards shown.

Are the end shots from the same lumber as the surface shots?

Thanks for taking the extra time to get the pics up.. appreciated.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kennycrybaby

Hmm.. maybe I got the shots mixed up on my phone. The end grain definitely looks rougher than what I've been using (the first two shots) now that you mention it. I'll double check when I get back to my tool shed after work.

rasman57

Pine.  Just like the big box store stuff around here.  Easy to work with.

WDH

If it is white pine, there should be resin canals visible on a clean slice of the end grain.  It does look like white pine to me, too.  Spruce will also have some resin canals, fir will not. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kennycrybaby

Thank You Sponsors!