iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DanG Bowsaw

Started by Jeff, April 18, 2006, 07:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Early this year I got to spend some time down to Tom's place. While I was there, we had a get together of several forum members. That afternoon DanG gave me a Poulan Bowsaw for my collection. He told me "It run, right up till it quit"  :D I couldn't bring it home on the plane, so Corley5, who was there on vacation threw it in his truck and dropped it off to me on his way home.  This is a photo from that Day.

I took the saw up to Chet's when Tammy and I visited him on Tammy's spring break. Chet and I proceeded to tear it almost completely apart. Here is a photo of the disassembled Saw.

Here is a photo of Chet running the saw after we got it going again.

And here is the photo after the complete restoration. Large file, so I made it a link.

https://forestryforum.com/bowsaw_done.jpg

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodbowl

Well ain't that slick! That ole' thing bounced around in the back of the truck all the way over there. Now it's a good running antique. Glad you could get er' going.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Jeff

chet

Quote from: Jeff B on April 18, 2006, 07:09:08 PM

And here is the photo after the complete restoration. Large file, so I made it a link.

https://forestryforum.com/bowsaw_done.jpg

WOW I didn't realize dat sucker turned out dat good.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kevin

Good work, what was wrong with it?

Jeff

In a word?  GuNk. :D

Kevin

Were you using the calipers to pry on something?  ;D

chet

And just a teeny bit of tinkerin'.  :D  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

chet

Quote from: Kevin on April 18, 2006, 09:18:25 PM
Were you using the calipers to pry on something? ;D

Dem are used ta gage parts so ya know how big a hammer ta use.   ;D

Kevin

They make a good head scratcher too!

Jeff

Here is a photo of Chet concentrating on making a bowsaw chain. Notice that the hand is quicker then the eye.

A "Spinner"

DanG

Boy, I'm glad to see y'all got that ol' thing running.  I've cut a many a cord of firewood with that old pup!  It had done been "worn out" by a pulpwood cutter before I bought it back in the late '70s.  It had that bow on it when I bought it, but it has carried a variety of bars as well.  I even put a 36" bar on when I was grinding stumps.  That was a major overload for the saw, but it sure saved a lot of grinding time.  Reckon the "Wild Thang" will be around for that long? ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

anybody got a use for a McCullogh bow?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Dan_Shade

what's the benefit of using one of those?  bar pinch?

I know kickback is a major concern, so I've always steered away from them.

Is that a redbone, chet?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

rebocardo

I would have kept my 2375 Wildthing if I thought I could refurb it into that. What you did with the bar is astounding   ;)  I like the new paint  :D

Tom

Quotewhat's the benefit of using one of those?

Yep, Bar Pinch is a big one.   you can use it to buck wood that is dumped in a pile or just laying around on the ground without bending over or moving the log.  The Spur, when you get experienced, will even let you control the final 1/2 inch without getting the chain into the ground.

You never want to try to use one of these wthout the spur.  With the spur, and caution, they are pretty safe.

It is also recommended that they not be used without the guards.  Each of the straight legs usually has an aluminum guard over it.  A lot of the injuries are caused by no guard and getting a leg too close to the bottom bar, or resting the saw on your leg when you  get tired.  Of course, that is also true of straight bars as well.

You seldom find guards on these saws down here because the guard makes chain removal/sharpening more difficult and limits the size of the log to some extent.  Some of these problems are caused by operator mis-use.  I never had a problem with chain access.  I have had the guards keep me from getting through a log larger than the bow was designed to handle.

The guards also keep the operator from using the straight legs of the bow as he would straight bar.  It's tempting sometimes.

The Bow is a great back saver for bucking.

sandman2234

Brush and briars can also be cleared around your standing area with a bowsaw. The brush catches the chain, and when it gets to the foot, it stops. Chain keeps moving. End of brush and briars.
   I have never ran a bow with the guards on. Mine didn't have it when it  was made, and I never thought about refitting it with them. Managed to keep my legs all those years.
  Texas Ranger, what you want for it?
        David from jax

tcsmpsi

I'm still working on the picture thing (unfortunately, little time to devote at the present). 

But, really, I am intent.

That little Poulan ya'll have resurected was built to 'lighten the load' for your daily ol' pulpwooders.  Though it's kinda tricky, I have felled a few trees with a good, sharp bow.   There ain't nothing like 'em for cutting logs on the ground, though.  You're right, Tom.  Cut right on through and never touch the ground.

The one I have, got retired before she stopped dancing. I had already installed the last oiler I had, or could find, as well as other well-worn parts. Thought it would be best to retire her while still graceful.

About 25 yrs ago or so, I found a new bow for her.  Probably didn't have 30-40 hrs of cutting on it when a big, blown-over Chinaberry's trunk decided to re enter the ground, and threw the old 66 about 50 yards.  Bent my DanG new bow unmercifully.  Thought she was a goner, but found an 'old-timer' who told me how to straighten it on a stump.  Worked like a charm.

Did look kinda odd though when I installed the new bow, as it was some kind of green color.

I'll get some pictures of her up on here soon as I can.  Be good for her, knowing she might be appreciated.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

tcsmpsi

Alright, let me see if I can do this...

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

tcsmpsi

I see that I have to work on my picture quality. 
For the moment, here are a couple more of the ol' gal, as she sits today.

The REAL, Poulan Wild Thing...

tcsmpsi

Let's see if these are any better...

The exhaust port...not  "environmentally friendly".

DanG

I had neglected to check out this thread for a while. :-[

tcsmpsi, that's a mighty sweet lookin' old saw you got there. :) :)  Great job on the pics, too! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tcsmpsi

Thanks, DanG  ;)

Your posted instructions were invaluable in the picture posting.

I need to get back into the saw and see if I can coax the starter back to work (again).  The old ('new') dogs have about had it.   (though I have rigged a straight rope start on it before)

I've had the ol' gal for about 35 yrs., and have replaced every working part. At least once.  Odd, one of the things I miss most in newer saws, is a manual oiler.

Just an ol' pulpwooder's saw, from a time when they hung by the bow on a bedpost of the truck, anywhere, night or day, and were never bothered.

Thank You Sponsors!