iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vacuum Kiln Tour

Started by canadianwoodworks, January 08, 2019, 09:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadianwoodworks

Hello fellow members,

I have been operating a DX Haibo RF Vacuum kiln for 2 solid years. With loads taking 4 to 18 days, I've been able to run a lot of lumber through this kiln and learn a lot!

This unit can fit 2800 bdft of lumber, I typically dry live edge lumber because of this my loads are typically 1300 to 2000 bdft, depending on the sizes and curves of the slabs.

The cost is about $1500 a month to operate, I am in canada and heat a 50x30 shop/office space with the excess heat.

Most commonly dried lumber

12/4 Walnut - 9-11 days (4-6 month air dry for colour)
5/4 Walnut - 6-7 days (1 month air dry)
12/4 Ash - 8-10 days (Zero Air Dry)
8/4 Soft Maple - 6-7 days (Zero Air Dry)
4/4 Tamarak - 4 days (Zero Air Dry)

Unique dried lumber

9'' thick, 15' long Okan from Africa
11'' thick 48-50'' diameter White Oak cookies

Vacuum kiln tour

Thanks for watching, any questions please ask!

bkaimwood

Thanks for sharing Canadianwoodworks. Great video, very informative. Love the press and its impact on flat slabs. The obvious 2 questions I can't believe nobody's asked...where do you get one and how much do they cost? Did a quick google search on the manufacturer/model and came up with zippo... Mostly just curious at this point...
bk

canadianwoodworks

Quote from: bkaimwood on January 13, 2019, 06:26:43 PM
Thanks for sharing Canadianwoodworks. Great video, very informative. Love the press and its impact on flat slabs. The obvious 2 questions I can't believe nobody's asked...where do you get one and how much do they cost? Did a quick google search on the manufacturer/model and came up with zippo... Mostly just curious at this point...
Hi,
Hfwoodworking dot come is where to go, this is a medium sized one at about $50,000 usd
I actually bought it through Alibaba
Thanks for watching

woodworker9

I have been watching your channel.  

What power requirements are needed to operate that vacuum kiln you're running?  
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

schwanee

Tha is for the info!  I have a question for you if you don't mind. Does your kiln have hot water plumbed to it, or do you have some sort of recirculating process? Any problem with freezing up there?

GeorgeFindlay

Hi,

Thanks for making/sharing the video

Where in Canada are you located?

WOW...Dry 4/4 Tamarack in four days!! Without any prior air drying, 4/4 tamarack takes 16-18 days to properly dry in a kiln owned/operated by a chap in St. Leonard, NB.
"Storms Never Last"

Thank You Sponsors!