iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw milling

Started by gginseng4, November 07, 2013, 09:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gginseng4

Would two Stihl 056 (around 81cc) powerheads work on a granberg 56 "chainsaw mill. Does anybody have any experience with running two power heads on one of the mills?

Thanks
   Glen

qbilder

I haven't ran a two headed mill, but two 056 heads should easily run a 56" bar.
God bless our troops

Delawhere Jack

Haven't a clue, but if you make it work, we want to see PICTURES!!  ;)

terrifictimbersllc

I have a Sperber 52" mill with two Stihl 090AV power heads.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mad murdock

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on November 08, 2013, 03:27:38 AM
How well does it work? 2 090's? Those things are worth a bit of $$ nowadays
To the OP-56" is a long bar, are you planning on slabbing a lot of stuff in the 36-48" range? For a lot of CSM'ing you can do well with a 28-36" Alaskan and a single powerhead. I have not used 2 powerhead a at once, but I am sure it would power through the long cuts better than 1.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

dboyt

I've used the double head bar with various combinations of saws, including a Husqvarna 372 on one end and a Stihl 066 on the other.  Works great, but you have to work with someone who pays attention.  You have to throttle up together, because one saw powering the other can spin the clutch off of it (heard about it, never had it happen).  Goes through a lot of gas, but it gets the job done.  Go for it!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: mad murdock on November 08, 2013, 07:37:03 AM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on November 08, 2013, 03:27:38 AM
How well does it work? 2 090's? Those things are worth a bit of $$ nowadays
To the OP-56" is a long bar, are you planning on slabbing a lot of stuff in the 36-48" range? For a lot of CSM'ing you can do well with a 28-36" Alaskan and a single powerhead. I have not used 2 powerhead a at once, but I am sure it would power through the long cuts better than 1.
A lot of noise and vibration which doesn't stop when the saws are turned off, but effective. Two saws to start and keep running.   Easier with two people than one, and not something you want to ask the customer to help with, in my opinion.  The reason I bought an LT40 Super when sawing wood was still a hobby.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Gasawyer

Unless you're going to use it alot one of those power heads should work,just go slower. I run a 72" bar with a husky 3120  without any problems. Running both power heads will be plenty of power if you can cordanate operation. Just remember to let them run a minute or so after the completion of each cut to cool off, makes power heads last longer.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Thank You Sponsors!