iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Staying Busy and out of trouble, 2020-21?.

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2020, 09:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

OGH sounds  like you didn't really  retire,  you just became the boss. Fun to follow  your blog.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, I guess I did, which means I work for an ash. :D
One day wasn't quite enough for my legs to recover, still a little crampy this morning and today was a real rain day. Between yesterday and today we got 2.25" and it rained most of the day, and really hard last night. With the wind out of the SSE it blew water right under the shop doors and I had a bunch of water in there. No big deal, with the fire going it is mostly dried up.
 So another day of shop and office work, not that I minded. I did cut the floor pads to finish off that bench. The water tank was full but I sure hate to lose that water coming down. Drier days are coming. So I shoved a water barrel under the overflow. As it filled, I had an idea (dangerous most times, I know), so when it was nearly full I grabbed another barrel and cut a piece of hose that would reach to the bottom of both tanks and started a siphon with the hose on the bottom of each tank. I figured that way the tanks will stay balanced as long the hose stays on the bottom. Late in the afternoon I added a third. These tanks won't provide flow to anything, but I can shove a pump on the first one and pump it into the high tank which feeds the pressure pump. I just have to pump out of the first tank and all three will drop at the same rate, the siphon should go to whichever tank is lowest until one hose sucks air anyway. 300 gallons in the main tank and 150 in reserve should put me in good shape for a while.               

Sounds simplistic, but I get a real kick out of stuff like this. I am just a kid playing with water during the rain storm. :D
 So I banged around fixing this and cleaning that but didn't really get into anything. I should have, but just didn't feel like it. But..... LOOK MA! I CAN SEE MY WORKBENCH!

That bench has been covered in junk all winter and I HATE that! Finally took the time today to find homes for everything and clear it off. AFTER I spent yesterday working on that bench all day and moving stuff back and forth. At least I feel better now. Let's see how long it lasts. 
 I spent a bunch of time on office work writing a blog post for the web site on property management and getting that formatted and pictures selected. I seem to be getting more interest in that, so I figured I would address it. While I was in there I also updated my mushroom information with the changes I've made. All the while I was watching an online webinar on the EAB updates given by a Dr. Kelly Oten from North Carolina State University, who was apparently in Colorado today and hails from Texas. (I found this funny, I don't know why.) The class offered CEU's that count toward my logger re-certification, I don't think I need the credits, but what the heck, knowledge is power and I was curious where we stand on this pest (the answer is, pretty much where we were a year ago). Besides, my cert is up this year, so I need to get that squared away. I did learn more about those wasps they are deploying to attack the EAB and that was interesting. They are TINY little guys, about the size of a mayfly, maybe smaller, like a knat. Also, there are several other 'predators' that eat the little critters like grass hoppers and woodpeckers. I also learned they are seeing an uptick in woodpecker populations where the ash borer is infested. So on the whole, it was interesting and I got my web work done at the same time.
 Tomorrow is supposed to be clear, sunny, cool and have a nice humidity drop through the morning hours. In other words a pretty dang good day for working. 60° for a high temp. I will either be at a clients taking a few trees down (more dead ash) or working on cleaning up the trees I took down near the mill and all the slab wood littering the area. It's another mess like my bench that I just need to spend time on and get it done. I never allow myself time for these things, but I always make so much more progress after it is done and I feel a lot better about things. I don't know why I do this, but it's a hard habit to break. 
 One year ago today is when I had a last full time day of work, then went on vacation until retirement on June 1st. SO I have had a year to get my 'stuff' together. I have made some progress and enjoyed the mellow easy going pace. But now I have a few irons in the fire at the same time and its getting hectic. For a guy that used to keep 6 balls up in the air at the same time on multiple projects I am finding this a challenge to get back into a hectic swing of things.  At some point I have to decide where to draw the line, but for now I will just keep plugging along. I think I am OK for a while yet. I know several of y'all warned me I would get overloaded in short time. I also know I blew you off, (at least in my head, I am pretty sure I was polite here on the forum) thinking it would never happen. But it looks like you folks were right or soon will be.
 Ah well, I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. ;D Tomorrow is another day.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

trimguy

When I lived at home on the farm, we used to use old water heater tanks for culverts. Might be an inexpensive way to get you started on that project. It sounds like you need another one.😂

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, maybe I should consider alternatives. Good idea, but I am not quite there yet.
 Right now I am sitting here cooling my jets waiting for a phone call to go look at and maybe buy a used trailer. What's that you say, "Didn't I already make a deal on a trailer?" Why yes, that's correct. But 2 hours ago the guy called and said he felt terrible but had been offered 4k for the trailer he agreed to sell me for 2.5k. He said he would sell it to me for 3.5k because he felt terrible about it. I thunk on it for a second and said "Nope, you go take that 4k and be happy you found a sucker guy with too much money." He kept telling me how terrible he felt, but I just wished him luck and hung up.
 t took me 20 minutes to find a trailer better suited to what I needed, get hold of the seller and set up a meet. He will drive it up half way saving me 40 minutes of driving each way. He's gonna call me as soon as he is done mowing his field. This one is $1,850, so I saved around 650 but have to do a little work on the brakes. Suits me fine. Just wish I hadn't wasted a week waiting for the other guy to try to boost me up.
 More later as the saga continues.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

21incher

Last week I sold my cargo trailer  setup for 2 harleys. Listed on craigslist above Book value and in 10 minutes had a guy driving  3 hours to buy it with cash. By the time he left I had 18 more emails from people  with  cash wanting  to buy it with some offering more then I was asking to be first. Yesterday  I listed my Harley and before  long 7 emails with the first one buying it with cash shortly  there after.  Several emails offered extra to be first. All said they had cash and I was above Book value already.  Next I am listing my pontoon boat at twice its value because there is a shortage and hopefully I will find a hungry fish. It's  a really  good time to sell but with  shortages a tough time to buy. Everyone seems to have a ton of cash and is willing to pay top dollar just to get things. Sucks the guy isn't sticking  to the agreed price and that's why a fast cash deal is safest these days. I doubt this climate  will last much longer.  
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Tacotodd

@21incher I just hope you're right. I know I'm a pessimist on this, and experienced with bits of life. 
Trying harder everyday.

Old Greenhorn

Well, I'll tell you, I calmed down a little on the HOUR drive home empty handed and I am still so dang mad that I could spit. Did somebody put something in the water?
This guy says he will meet me at a tractor supply around 7 and will give me a call when he is on his way. Well I have a long drive, so I left before his call, got there, browsed TS then at 6:45 I drop him a text asking how he is making out. Turns out he lost track of time, now he gives me his home address and says come on over. Turns out he is not in the town he listed on the ad, he is 25 miles northeast of there. I could have saved a lot of driving. SO now I am ticked, its dusk. I start driving his way and I get another text, a long one, so I find a safe spot to pull over and read it. Now he reveals that he has no title or registration for this trailer, just giving me a bill of sale.
That tears it. He doesn't know the axle ratings, just what he was told by the prior owner, he never registered it (yes, hauling illegally) for 5 years with it, he doesn't know the condition of the brakes or if they even operate, he doesn't know the trailer rating overall or even who made it. I told him forget it and turned around right there. He gets all defensive. I resisted sending him a one word answer, just told him he wasted a bunch of my time and money and I was done with him. Too many things 'not right' for me to go any further. Dang Blasted I was HOT. By the time I got home he had edited his ad description and raised the price to $1900. The guy is a nut job.
So it took me all of 10 minutes to find another, better one on CL for $1750, but it is an hour and a half away. I left the guy a nice VM and sent him an email just in case, but I have to go fishing with the boys in the morning (I promised), so I asked if he had not sold it by Sunday if I could come down, cash in hand. This guy's ad was clear with good photo. He said "Have title in hand, ready to sell, I bought a bigger one." So lets see if we can make a deal on this one.
The only saving grace is, every trailer I find is closer to what I would spec out and cheaper than the one before, but this is costing me a lot of time and aggravation. People are nuts!

Nebraska

That was BS x 2!  Sorry  you got stuck dealing with (descriptive terms not appropriate  here).  Any way hoping your tomorrow is truly a better day.  Congratulations on your first year of retirement.

trimguy

Tomorrow will be better , he's "going fishing with the boys".😁 Have fun and good luck.

HemlockKing

Hopefully this next fella comes through on the trailer  :D or that may be the final straw that breaks the camels back no? :D  
A1

Old Greenhorn

Well, last night was almost the first night I set an alarm clock since I 'retired', but I forgot. I was concerned that this would be one of those days I slept past 5am, what with all the frustration yesterday. But I got up around 5:30 and made it out the door by 6:30 for the boys fishing derby. Kind of a neat event. There is a large contractor next town over that hosts this event at his hill top home. 10 bucks a head donations for the kids which includes a pancake breakfast (pancakes, bacon, sausage, fruit, muffins, donuts, coffee juice, and more, some worms and a 3 keeper fish limit. It's a nice pond and he stocks it with about 600 trout of several species for the event, and these aren't small fish, I saw some 16" being taken out, nothing very small for sure. It was colder, overcast and rainy, but the boys had a pretty good time. The best part is that this event is a fund raiser for a scholarship program in the name of the contractor's son. They give out about 50 grand in funds each year to young men and women graduating from the high school who are either going into a trade school, apprenticeship program, or directly to the workforce in a trade.
 Everybody in our clan wore the correct uniform:

Except me, I didn't get the memo. I did have on a black hoodie under my jacket however. These fish were caught by the kids next to us.

It didn't rain hard, but it was persistent. After a couple of hours I was pretty soaked through. The boys had had enough and we headed home. When I got home I needed dry socks and other stuff.
 I had ordered a new Efnem wool crusher hat from Madsen's last week and it arrived yesterday. I have been wearing these hats of and on since I was about 5 years old, and pretty steady the last 40 years. I always order a 'large' they always shrink and I have to keep stretching it (like once a week). its annoying, but I like these hats. SO this time, I took a chance and ordered an extra large. Well it is WAY too big and falls down over my ears. So yesterday I wet it down and let it dry. It shrank a little, but not near enough. SO when I got home today, I hung it out in the rain to get a good soak.

I'll bring it in tonight or tomorrow and let it dry well and hope it fits. Right now I am back to ball caps because my current one got soaked this morning and shrunk again. It's back on the stretcher now, too wet to wear. Maybe tomorrow.

OK, more on the trailer saga. No return call or email from the next prospect, so I tried him again. OH, he is getting lots of calls and has folks offering over his asking price, so he is hanging in to see who comes up with the best money. He said 'check back Monday or Tuesday because 2 guys said they would pay 500 more if he would hold it until then. I said "Look you advertised it for 1,750, I have that cash in my hand right now. I can come down tomorrow morning, hand you the cash, and you sign it over. Simple, no nonsense. I can throw in a hundred bucks more, but I am not paying 500 more. Your call. It ain't right to list one price then up it by 30% when people call you." he says "I'm not asking, they are offering." I replied "yes, and you are holding off folks standing in front of you with your asking price right now. It ain't right, but its your call. If I think of it, I may give you a call Monday, but I will keep shopping."
 What is the deal with people that offer something for a price, then change their mind and want more, or (in one case) shake on a deal and a week later change their mind and demand more?  People suck and it ain't right. A handshake ain't what it once was.
 Oh, and the first guy? ;D I got a call while I was at the fishing derby today from the guy who hooked me up with that seller. He leases the yard and shop there as he buys the business a piece at a time from the older fella. He tells me that this guy is known to play those games and nobody has come to look at that trailer since me. There is no other buyer for 4 grand and the trailer will sit there. He is going to keep an eye on it though. He says the guy had second thoughts and is trying to jack me up, just as I suspected. He is SUPER TICKED because he connected me and feels like he sent me to a bum deal. No sweat, I get it. Now lets see how long he sits on that trailer, or if he calls me back with another story and 'offer.' Part of the reason I told the guy to take the bigger money was because this is a small town. People talk, and if I gave this guy a rough time or accused him of anything (such as what he actually did) word could get out that I was a bad guy in spite of the facts. I preferred the high road and told him to take the bigger money and enjoy it. I wasn't sure then, but know now he will have to eat it because he gambled and came up short.
 SO the search, and I am certain the frustration, continues. If I don't find something close, oh well, I will make do with what I have for now. It just means more work and more trips, but rumor is that I am a resourceful guy, so I'll just take it one day at a time. Tomorrow is another day, I'll worry about it then.

21incher

That's the same thing that is happening to everything I have listed  on craigslist lately.  I have never seen it like this before.  Used to be you list something and sort through  a couple  days of spam before there was the right buyer. Now it's like a shark feeding frenzy a couple minutes after the listing goes live. Yesterday  I decided  it's  time to dump anything I haven't used in a couple years and came up with a list containing almost 100 items.  Listed a old diamond plate truck tool box last night to start. Within minutes had a reply and he picked it up this morning with a $100 cash. That's more then I paid for it 25 years ago.  Had 2 more hits shortly thereafter last night and just took the add down. Never seen so much money  flying around just waiting to be spent. I finally  am going to  have a clean shop with space to work if everything sells. You have hit some real losers that will raise  the price after agreeing initially. 

B.C.C. Lapp

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Hilltop366

Usually I figure obo means they will take less but guess they could take more too.

I can't blame anyone who will take more but they should word the ad in a way that express that, something like "taking offers until Saturday" but once the deal is done it's done.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 08, 2021, 10:17:06 PM
Usually I figure obo means they will take less but guess they could take more too.

I can't blame anyone who will take more but would they should word the ad in a way that express that, something like "taking offers until Saturday" but once the deal is done it's done.
I actually like that idea. Maybe something 21incher could adapt. That is fair, it lets folks know where you stand right up front like a person should do. This second guessing underhanded "well, I don't know now..." stuff is burning my britches. I spend a lot of time looking for the right trailer, then call and get a song and dance. I just feel like I am a sucker if I fall into the trap and am feeding the beast if I pay so much more. That guy today had, what I think, is the perfect trailer, and yes I had the cash in hand to pay that extra 500, but dang it it all, that ain't right and I'm not gonna do it. That's just me and I am sure it will put me in a tight spot with the work I need to do, but I won't be a sheep. That taste would burn on my tongue a lot longer than paying too much because I wasn't a wary buyer and bought something with hidden issues I didn't see. If I get the perfect trailer, I won't need the one I have and will sell it. Right now trailers like mine are going for more than I paid for it, but I am not going to play the bait and switch game. I might just accept offers as you say for 2 days, then sell it to the high bidder that brings cash.

gspren

I firmly believe that if you advertise a certain price you should sell to the first person that shows up with that amount, if you say no it could be seen as discrimination depending on who got turned down. I have what would probably be a good trailer for you but don't want to sell until after we are finished moving which may be next fall.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

aigheadish

Your trailer escapades sound rough OGH! 

I too like the idea of accepting offers until...

I've only dealt with CL twice. Once to buy my motorcycle and it went beautifully and once to sell a couple couches and within an hour of posting the guy was at my house picking them up. I have seen lots of scammy junk happening there though. Particularly backhoes that don't exist...
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

Odd day, the weather is cool overcast, felt like rain all day, but the dew point was just too low. I needed to clean the shop chimney, all the creoote fell down and plugged the top of the stove up. When I did that one of the 45° joints let go and a short section was getting really thin and I realized it needed work, so I ordered the parts and will do it right. Also ordered the new combustor (200 bucks!) but that won't come until June. I'll get the other stuff replaced so it's good for the next season with no compromises. So no stove for a week or so and with this snotty weather, I miss it.
 I went out back and started pulling pout the logs I cut over the weekend to get that a little more cleaned up. We got a lot more rain over the weekend than was predicted and the swamp is a mess.  I nearly got the Mule stuck in there for good and made some pretty big wallows getting out, but I winched most of the logs out to workable positions and will wait until it dries some more.
When I pulled one log out it created an open water spot about 12" deep. I have been laying brush in there for two years and walking on that, now it's open again. 

I was lucky to get the Mule out of this, mud was a-flyin'!

Not a real good comparison, but here is a shot from about a year ago when I set the mill there and you can see all the tree in the foreground.

And here is how it looks today from pretty mush the same angle:

I took out 2 trees on this side of the creek (Pines) and about 4 on the far side. I have one more that will require a high safety line to reduce the risk. It still has some life but the top half is totally dead and it needs to go.

By the time I was done I had to hose off my boots and pants legs because the mud was pretty thick. On thing, my rain collection system is full, I have about 450 gallons on hand, which is good because I have a lot of mud to clean off these logs.

On the trailer 'front' I think I am going to let it go for a bit and see if I find something later. I realized last night that with the crazy prices of these used trailers I might be better off getting something new, because the price jump isn't very much at all when you consider buying somebody's old stuff with old issues, verses brand new. I'll just keep banking money and wait a little bit. Another 1,500 could put me into a brand new trailer that is more of what I want with a lot less hassle. Actually if you look at the tractor supply prices, some of the used trailers are selling for more than the new ones, but of course tractor supply has no stock on anything now, they are all sold out. Same with all the big box guys. So I am considering a 16' Big Tex, 2022 model. Just need to earn a little more cash. Haste makes waste. I will sit on it a bit longer. I have reached and exceeded my frustration quota for the month. ;D
 Tomorrow is another day.

Old Greenhorn

Well yesterday I was still studying the weather and trying to make arrangements with my property improvement clients around the weird weather. SO between phone calls and emails I decided to get back to work on a commissioned bar job I started 3 months ago or so. I got some sanding and some shaping cuts done and then got a call from a fella I know asking about some property improvement work and also hbe had a lawn tractor issue he wondered if I could look at and maybe help with. I also had a chat with Barge and it looks like I will begin some mushroom log cutting at the end of next week, so time to gear up for that. Knowing what I have coming up in the next 10 days I figured I would run over and see what this new 'potential' client had in mind. He's in Woodstock, just 15 minutes away. Well, it turns out he bought the house formerly owned by Lee Marvin when he lived in Woodstock. It's a rambling place made built over decades and is basically comprised of 5 separate buildings with shared walls and foundations. A bit confusing inside, but built right by good folks and has strong bones. But I did get lost when I went back in the house to find something and could barely remember how to get out.
 Just 3 acres of property on a side hill (terraced). Lots of cleaning up to do. I told him what I could and also could not do, made some suggestions about tree selection and management and culling. Like many others, this will be an 'ongoing job' done in phases and pieces. They just acquired this property last fall, so this is their first growing season. He liked my rate, said it is more than fair, then we took a look at his mower. Simple snapped belt, but he says mechanics are not his thing. SO while he went to get the new belt, I pulled the deck off and took the necessary parts apart and figured out the belt path. Turns out he couldn't find the new belt he bought. SO we put the tractor in drivable condition and I said I would come back when he got the belt, which he picked up last night.
 I ran over this morning and finished it in ten minutes. He tested, all good. Then he asked if I liked a challenge? He has a commercial vacuum machine for packaging food and it seems the pump is seized. What the heck, it's an expensive machine, it should be fixable. So I took it home to work on during the next rainy day. My bench client showed up and they picked up their bench. Then I went into town and got some basic supplies (oil, advil, a new small cooler, milk, and beer), then I came home and started in on that vacuum machine. Spent most of my ti8me trying to figure out how to open it up to get access. Pulled the end off the pump housing, drained the oil, and had a look. The motor had sat for a while and was sticky, so were the vacuum blades on the impeller. Moved everything around, got it all cleaned and sliding nice then put it all back together. Put the oil back in, but need some more to make it right. I had enough for a short test and it sucks down pretty dang quick now. Good enough. Called the client and got him to order the oil. When it comes in, he'll come over, I will drain out the old stuff and refill it with new and he should be good to go. All done in under 3 hours. Glad I got it done now and won't have it staring at me every time I come in the door waiting to be done.
 Tomorrow I am back in the chainsaw pants for the day. Dropping some trees.
 Friday I expect I will be going through gear for working remotely and putting together the stuff I don't normally worry about, like the tools to fix whatever may break, getting the Mule tanked up and checked out and making sure I think of all the stuff I didn't think of. Normally my days at clients are only 6 hours or so, but having full days out over an hour from home means I need to think like all you portable sawmill guys that do this all the time. Having all the tools I might need and spare parts, change of clothes and other clothes for weather changes, food, water, etc. (That's why I picked up a 'right sized' cooler today to hold a food supply and plenty of water, plus a frozen water jug to keep it coolish.) I have to go through the truck and clean out all the unneeded stuff to make room for the more important stuff. Its just more to think about, but I like doing new stuff. Its a challenge to see if I guess correctly or if I forget something. Hopefully it won't be critical. I also have to check out the trailer. The prime mission is to come home with a full load of logs each day and hopefully queue some up so that at some point I just do shuttle runs all day and don't have to cut and move, just load and go. That's the plan, let's see what really happens. ;D
 Anyway, Saturday I will be back on dead ash again, probably some chipping and bringing home a load of logs at the end of the day. Seems like things are getting busy for me.

WV Sawmiller

Tom, 

Sounds like a productive day and you are getting in the groove with this new retirement plan. You are dead right on the loading of tools for distant trips. I pretty much have a standard kit now I take and know what order to load it so it is "combat loaded" with the things I need first loaded last and most accessible. Most of the items I take I don't need on most trips but if you don't have it then you are shut down or seriously delayed for minor problems. 

I started the morning going 30 minutes away to get my Amish farrier to trim the mule's hooves. Took 15-20 minutes then 30 minutes back. Picked up 3 lbs of screws for planter making but forgot to replenish my drywall ringed nails I use to make crates. The ringed nails hold better in the soft wood especially when nailed in the ends with the grain. I came back and got today's weekly local paper in the mail as new subscription and they ran an article on my mill and service. Crazy lady called soon after wanting to sell me her 10 y/o cherry boards and when I told her I had plenty of cherry in stock for my use and for sale. She said well, since I did not need hers if anybody called wanting some to give them her number. (What part of "I have plenty for sale" did not register?) I don't know where they come from?

Another lady called and wanted to know all about using her oak and cherry for flooring and I kept telling her "call your flooring contractor" as I saw lumber. He can tell you the sizes and moisture content issues. She even asked about how the fact her house was on a hill was going to affect drying time and such. I told her since we all have different comfort levels and keep our homes cooler or warmer that is likely a bigger factor than her homes elevation. I started to tell her to go back home to New York (No, I would not do that. :D).

I finished a few more crates for this weekend's flea market at the fairgrounds and used my last ringed nails. Then, while the planer was out, I grabbed a couple of LE walnut boards, cut a couple of 31" slices out then fired up the mill and squared off the backs to make a shelf/coat rack to replace one I sold last week. I have high hopes for this one and should finish it tomorrow. 

My compost toilet lady called back. Her husband decided she needed a window for light in there so now I'll have to modify my design a little. I checked with my metal supplier on clear fiberglass roofing thinking that might be a better option for the light but he does not sell it so I ordered 2 galv-alum sheets to make it as my usual roofing. I'll try a trip to Lowes after the Flea Market Saturday to get door hinges and some 4' treated 2X6s, drip edge and a toilet seat. 

Oh well, tomorrow is another day and I have my shelf and outhouse to work on to keep me out of trouble.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

I have people that walk into the store and say loudly I need a plumper. As I say, if I was a plumper I would not be working here for these wages.  ::)
I could fill a book up with questions.
Than they need a shut off valve. What size? Oh about this big with their finger and thumb. Or I don't know. ::) Or I took a picture with my phone.
But there are some people that know what I am saying and go back home and get a measurement. But most will stand there and expect me to know what size they need.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Yes, this planning to have the right stuff with me is important and takes time. I don't think too fast, so I keep it in my head all the time and when I think of something I either fetch it and put it in the pile, or write it down so I don't forget. The game is to not come up short when circumstances change. On the local property management jobs, it's not so bad if I need something I don't have, like a chain or a choker. I bring it next time and do it then. But the main thing is to keep working and not get stopped.
 Yeah, people are funny. I am seeing a lot of this with the mushroom logs. I get an email from a fella or gal with 'mushroom logs' in the subject and something like the following:

"I could pickup at any location 

Please let me know if this is possible"

Then nothing but a name at the bottom, no phone number. I kid you not, this is an exact and complete quote from an email. I was getting two like this every other day for a while. So I came up with a 'form response" that I send back, it lists the simple details I need as well as a little about how and when I get these logs. I end it by saying "Just answer those 3 questions and I will get you on the list" (how many, what species, preferred size), but it seems like they don't ever follow up. Maybe my questions were too hard? ;D In case of that I tell them that if they are new and can't answer those questions, just tell me what they are growing and I can give them some basic advice to get them started. I have not decided how many of these folks I will follow up on (again) when I have logs on hand. Most want 1-4 logs, that's not even 20 bucks. When I have commercial buyers waiting for 100-400 or more logs, I think I might lean their way. :D I hate those inquiries where they say "I need a few", "I need a lot", " i need some", or "I will take what you have", when they really mean "I need 2" or "a lot" means 10. Then I get a real commercial inquiry and 'A lot' means 5,000 logs. It can make you crazy if you let it.
 I have been lucky in that most of my customers and clients so far are people I know. Sometimes I think they give me business just to help me get started, but they seem to be happy with what they are getting in return. Yes, I have picked up one or two who are high maintenance, but living here for so long and knowing how those folks can be I have developed an approach that dances somewhere between 'friendly dumb guy' and "grouchy curmudgeon'. I can pull out either card based on the attitude I am handed. I have also learned to be honest about what I can and can't do, as well as what I won't and will do. I don't cross those lines and make them clear. So the person that tries to talk me into or out of something to get the deal they want or expect, has a tough row to hoe. I always try to meet the unrealistic expectations with a handful of educational questions. If they circle around with the same stuff, I give up. They are the customer and need to decide what they want, if they can't do that, I move on. I learned a lot about refining this approach from reading what the folks here on the FF have shared. I was pretty good at it before, but now I think I am getting a lot more practice at dealing with 'those folks' and am getting better.

Yeah, I get a lot of those "Hey my neighbor is taking down a tree, do you want to come get it?" or "can you come get this tree and make me some lumber from it?" calls, but they are getting less and less. It's a fine line between those and the calls I get from loggers and land clearers "Hey, I just took down some nice red oak, if you can get over here with your trailer this afternoon I can load you." I don't want those calls to stop.

Its time to throw the gear in the truck and hit the road. Maybe it will break 60 today!

doc henderson

I think you could discount the price as the number goes up.  1 log could be 10 bucks.  or 9.99 if you want to play those games.  I would not get down to 3 bucks a log (or what ever the price is) till you reach 100 logs for wholesale.  or then it could be by the pallet if you decide to store and ship them that way.  1 log is really almost as much trouble as 10 and so on.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

As you probably well know, you will quickly find it is easier to remember what to bring based on what you needed and did not have last time. ;) Also when you struggle to do a task you will remember things like when cutting and turning logs and such as - "this would be a lot easier if I'd brought my cant hook" or such. I store my tools and equipment together so when I see one, I remember to bring the other - like wedges and my felling ax, magic Hook and 6' 1/4" chains to use with it, etc.

I remember when I was in the USMC I graded myself when I'd set up a supply dump in the field based on what I brought that was used or what I forgot and was needed. On one exercise I got a call from one of the general's staff for an 8' fluorescent light fixture. I offered them a couple more Coleman type gas lanterns and did not beat myself up at all on that one as we were supposed to be in tactical mode and they seemed to think they were back at the CP in the rear.

It is hard to fill a customer's order when he has no idea what he wants. On over half my jobs a customer will ask me "What should we cut this log into?" I tell them "I'd cut it into whatever I needed and if I did not need it whatever I thought would sell" as appropriate. 

As you mentioned most people mean well but they just don't know. I can deal with them. The ones who want to act like they know it all but don't know which end of a cant hook to hold are the ones that annoy me. Oh well, at least they teach you patience.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Doc, you make another good point (as I have come to expect from you) and I will have to give that some thought as to how I want to cut the numbers, but think on it I will. 
 Howard you are correct on all points and I look at the 'working on the road' thing as a challenge in logistics and planning. I too challenge myself on these things and enjoy it as part of the game. Let's just see how it goes. It's a long drive to the nearest hardware store up that way, but at least there is good hot food available not far away. :) I love that Conesville Country Store!

Now I hope you folks get a kick out of this next new development like I did. I got another email from the guy at Cornell (he's the guy that wanted 1,000 logs delivered to Brooklyn, but we have delayed that plan as too ambitious for right now). He would still like to get 300-500 logs from me for Brooklyn to be picked up at my place or something along those lines. Today he was asking when I could commit to a number (which I could not answer yet) and he offered to pay 50% up front if that would help. I reminded him I take no deposits except for custom furniture on occasion (expenses) and preferred to do business on a person's word. 
 Here's the interesting part. He said he was contacted by a fella with a sailing vessel that is looking for unique products to send down the Hudson River from the Catskills as has been done for the past 300 years. So they wanted to know if I would be willing (for a transport fee) to move the logs the the maritime museum where the sloop will be docked in Kingston. That's a 15 minute drive for me, 1 mile from where I used to work before I retired. They were thinking they could run a workshop on mushroom growing just before the boat launched. He wondered if I was up for something like that.  ;D
 Well just based on the transport payment he offered, yeah. I would have to do a couple of trips based on the number of logs, but no big deal, just work and time and the payment is fair. I could also 'maximize my load size' because it is a short, low speed run. But the whole thing sounds like fun for a one time deal, even two times. I like the fact that this process exactly reproduces the process used for 300 years where the products created and drawn from these mountains were taken from the woods or quarries, transported down the Plank Road to the water front in Kingston, loaded on barges, sloops, passenger ships, and other craft, and floated down to NYC. All the old sidewalks in Manhattan came from right around my house (Bluestone) as did the stone cobbles that made the streets. When concrete came into use (also produced up in this river valley), the industry switched to tanning leather up here and they striped the forest clean of first growth trees to get the inner bark for the tannin. The built whole towns around that industry including many around Brage (Palenville and Tannersville among others). When that died out they started chair factories all over the hills to use the hardwood that was available. So the irony I see in this is that I get these logs from up by Barge, I drive down Rt. 42 which was one of the oldest cut roads between the hills coming down from Schoharie county to Rt. 28 which was called the Plank Road back in the 1700's, they stop at my house on Stone road, which was a road laid with bluestone slabs 4" thick to support the weight of the stone boats (steel wheeled wagons) bringing out bluestone slabs headed to NYC, then they continue on via the Plank road again to the waterfront in Kingston which was a huge commercial operation going back 300 years ago and still is to a certain degree. The British landed on that same spot in 1777 when they came to burn Kingston, the capitol of the state at that time. Anyway, they get loaded on a boat and headed to the city. I think that is pretty cool.
 "Sure" I told him, "I am in. I can do what you ask and give you some more of my time if it can help you out with the workshop or whatever". Maybe I can make some more local contacts for log sales, who knows? I don't care, sounds like fun and it sure is different. I have been meaning to hook up with the museum anyway on other things. 

Today I was dropping a few trees and clearing culls to do some thinning at a clients place I had a lot of run-in's with thorny type stuff, even took a thorn right through the leather thumb pad on a glove and lodged hard into my skin. Had to shut the saw off, and take off the other glove to fish it out, MAN that hurt! I am seriously thinking about getting a brush saw. Interesting thing though as I was culling, I came upon a brand new Ash seedling doing just fine! Then I found an ash stump with a lot of epicormic sprouts, THEN I found a 4" diameter Ash growing straight and true with NO evidence of the borer. In fact I found 3 healthy Ash trees about 4" diameter. That not only made my day, it meant a whole lot more. Maybe they have moved on? Maybe these new trees are more resistant? I don't know, but I have to say it is SO very good to see new ash trees growing. I haven't seen young healthy ash leaves around here in ten years or more. I was SO excited, the property owner thought I was loosing it a little I think. WOW that was really neat. So today was indeed another day and it brought me new joy.
 I got home after that, put my saw on the bench and sharpened it up for the next job. Rewired a bad light on my trailer so that the turn signal (both) work, and did a few more things in the shop before coming in and answering emails, etc. Every day is an adventure of sorts, and that's just the way I like it.
 Tomorrow is another day, right?

Thank You Sponsors!