iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing and selling softwood

Started by Downhill Cutter, April 28, 2021, 09:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downhill Cutter

A couple of weeks back, I needed a piece of 1x8 for a small project, so I went to my local lumber store.  When the nice man behind the counter gave me the price, the blood ran out of my face . . . then I remembered I have TWO sawmills, and a stack of pine logs, access to MORE pine logs . . . and a Nyle kiln.  HMMM.  

The nice man said that if I just cut 2x4's for the next year, I could be wealthy.  Double Hmmm.

SO I have a MDS, a Lucas Mill, a stack of pine logs, and a kiln . . .  What's the hold up?

I'm pretty green in the business side of the sawmill business.  I've cut a bunch of material, but I haven't sold much . . . and some of Y'all have, so . . . .

I don't know what dimensions to saw my 2x4s.  REAL 2x4?  I also have a planer, but does it make $$$ sense to saw, KD, and mill 2x4's to current standard measurements, OR should I just mill everything at full dimension 2x4 and let customers deal with it, AND what do I charge for my product? OR . . . . should I just let the big guys have the 2x4 market? 

Thanks in advance for the wisdom of all of Y'all.

DownHill Cutter

If you do what you SHOULD do, WHEN you should do it, for Long enough . . . Pretty soon you'll be able to do what you WANT to do, WHEN you what to do it, For the rest of your life (within limits).

mike_belben

in the present market you probably dont need to be very good at sawmilling to do very good at sawmilling, as a rising tide lifts all boats.  since you own your stuff, you wont be harmed by a tide going back out that wipes out many who jump in on credit at peak equipment prices.

hopefully a mod will move your thread to the sawmill section where you will be mobbed with great information.
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Downhill,

Ask the guy you are thinking of selling too what size, moisture content and rough or planed. Either that or as another option, you can offer to sell him green, full size 2X4s and see if he wants them. I suspect grading is going to be an issue. It never hurts to ask. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!