iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Thin Strips

Started by Ga Mtn Man, April 26, 2014, 08:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

I received an inquiry yesterday asking if I could resaw several hundred #1 2x4x16' into ¼"x 3.5" strips.  Of course a resaw attachment would be the ideal thing to use but I don't want to spend that kind of money on what may be a one-time job.  I had a look at the "Arky resaw jig" and, while I think it would work, it does require you to push/pull the boards through the blade which sounds like an awful lot of manual labor smiley_sweat_drop.  I have an idea for a jig that consists of a double layer of MDF (for stiffness between the bunks) with a ¼" strip glued to the edge as a stop and an adjustable feather board or roller mounted to the sawhead just in front of the blade.  Has anyone done something like this or do you guys have some ideas on how I might do this (cheaply ;D).
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

47sawdust

this winter I sawed over 3600lf of 1/4''x2'' furring strips for an old house renovation.I was doing a whole log and not resawing
2x4 stock,so my situation was a little different.It took me about 3 hours on my Lt 30.I just made up a scale sheet and dropped the head 3/8'' per cut .I sawed through a whole cant at 1/4'' then flipped the whole thing and sawed my 2'' width.
Perhaps you could lay a 16' lvl on your mill bed and stack a series of 2x4's on edge and saw down through.
Good luck,always fun to have challenge.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

pineywoods

You can saw them on the mill, faster than a resaw.Stand a half dozsen on the mill bunks vertically and saw away in 1/4 inch increments. this assumes you want 1/4 X 2 inch strips. I frequently saw an entire white oak log into 1/4X2 strips to use for building slat type fish traps. If you are talking 1/4 X 4 strips, you will need a good thick timber under the 2X4's to keep them from sagging. A 1/4 inch guide down one side of the timber like you mentioned will work fine.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ga Mtn Man

Sorry, I forgot to mention they want ¼"x3.5" strips sawed out of their 2x4's.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

backwoods sawyer

Start with a log and mill out cants then to spec it is fast accurate and efficiant use of the material as well. Resawing 2x4x16 is problem matitic and the results could well be less then desirable, if it is store bought lumber it has rounded corners the first cut should be a squaring cut that would be turned down to fit in your jig, and anouther squaring cut  before taking a single  strip. Holding a piece that small at a piont low enough to saw 1/4" ???
But if that is your only option two pices of 1/2" mdf  with a 1/4 stip nailed/glued to one and a 3/4 strip glued nailed to the oposite side of the other. Just a touch nerrower then 2x4 plus the width of  the clamp strip  so they will slide to gether and put enough holding presure with out buckling when clamped. adding a few finish nails to poke thru will help hold the 2x4 in place as it is sawed.   
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

That can be done but the handling will make it a very labor intensive job.  The uniform-ness (new word) will depend upon the quality of the 2X4's and since you can not saw thinner than 1", they will have to be stacked and stabilized.

I would discourage doing it and charge hourly rate if they insist.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on April 26, 2014, 12:27:25 PM
That can be done but the handling will make it a very labor intensive job.  The uniform-ness (new word) will depend upon the quality of the 2X4's and since you can not saw thinner than 1", they will have to be stacked and stabilized.

I would discourage doing it and charge hourly rate if they insist.

Ya, 100.00 an HR :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

What the others have said, I repeat, keeping the 2x's flat will be the tricky part. Your idea sounds like it is worth a try at least.  Might ask how many pieces he needs, there could be room for some loss, rather thicker slats near the bottom of the cut.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red oaks lumber

thats a job i would politely decline to do. suggest finding someone that has a vertical bandsaw (woodworking) to do the resawing.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

customsawyer

I have the resaw attachment and it could do the task. It requires a bit of pushing and pulling also do to the fact that there isn't much pressure on the hold down wheels.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Nomad

Quote from: customsawyer on April 26, 2014, 04:51:55 PM
I have the resaw attachment and it could do the task. It requires a bit of pushing and pulling also do to the fact that there isn't much pressure on the hold down wheels.

Yeah.  I think the only realistic way to do that would be with a resaw attachment.  Does this customer understand that these will be rough sawn and may require planing?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

drobertson

It may or may not,  meaning, my resaw cuts flat and smooth, but, one needs one to do it.  I wish we were closer I could help Ga Mtn  out in a hurry on this one.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

justallan1

Does the customer already have the 2x4s? If so, what kind of shape are they currently in? 16' 2x4s could look like snakes if they aren't stacked and banded. Just something to find out about. If they don't already have them can they get you the widest 4x possible and you can stand them on edge?
To me it just looks like a real good way to give yourself a bad name.

Allan

WDH

Sounds like an endeavor in frustration since it is "their 2x4's". 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lefty1981

Or you could do it the way Peter Follasbee dose it. 
http://youtu.be/IQ7gZrhaCnw

barbender

I would use the Arky resaw jig for this, hire a couple helpers. One to pull the boards off of the back, another to stack material. Charge or figure it by the hour. The resaw jig will negate mild twists etc. in the boards because the material is held down at the blade.
Too many irons in the fire

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Lefty1981 on April 27, 2014, 10:07:27 AM
Or you could do it the way Peter Follasbee dose it. 

Fascinating!  I'm not sure I'd want to do more than one sixteen footer like that though.

Cedarman

I would take a 16' cant and saw a flat surface  11" wide.  3 or 4" thick.  Goal is to get a 16' flat to the sawblade.  Take 3 of the 16' side by side and place 2 heavy flat cants on top to hold the 16' in place.  Also place a backer board that will keep the 2x4 in place while sawing.  You can get 4 pieces of 1/4" per 2x4.  Allowing 3/32 for each cut.  If you squeeze the 1/4" by 1/32, you can get 5 pieces, but most likely going for 4 good pieces per 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 is the way to go.  Should go quickly once the cant is flat and backing board in place and 2 heavy cants to place on top are ready to go.
This is assuming any bow in 2x4 will be taken out by the weight of the 2 cants on top.  Have to start with decent stock to have a chance.
We would use our 2 head resaw and make 6  1/4" pieces per minute.  Would take about 10 minutes to set up and make a trial pass.  Your customer would be money ahead to look for someone with a resaw.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!