iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Custom made knives.

Started by hackberry jake, December 25, 2012, 07:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Some of the hunters in our family all went in together and got each other custom made knives. My dads is the one with the brass guard. My brothers is the smaller skinning knife. My dads and brothers are the two with desert ironwood handles. One of the ones with the bodark / osage orange handles is mine and the other one was a surprise for the man that gave me all the bodard/osage orange logs. He was thoroughly impressed and grateful. You guys have a merry christmas.

Oh, the knives were made by a guy at my work. He just started. He probably hasn't made a dozen yet. I think he did pretty good! That bodark shines in person, almost luminous!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

JohnW

I'd say your friend can make knives, and sheaths.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Awesome, I love knives.   :)  I wish mine had a lanyard.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Phorester

Beautiful!  I like your Dad's the best.

randy r

Speaking of knives, has anyone ever tried to use their old blades for knife blades? My Dad thinks that would be a good idea but I have no clue how one would cut the metal. 

Larry

Nice looking knives. :)

Every time you guys use those knives you will look back at the Christmas of 12 with fond memories.

Larry, wannabe knife maker.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thurlow

Quote from: randy r on December 26, 2012, 02:31:08 PM
Speaking of knives, has anyone ever tried to use their old blades for knife blades? My Dad thinks that would be a good idea but I have no clue how one would cut the metal.
I caught the knife-making bug bout 30 years ago;  used some old, large bastid files and also a several foot section of a 8 or 10 inch band saw blade that someone had given me.  I just roughed 'em out with an o/a torch and beat 'em out with a home-made drop hammer.  They didn't look nearly as good as the  ones pictured and I soon moved on to another hobby;  don't think I've got a one left......
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

JohnW

Quote from: randy r on December 26, 2012, 02:31:08 PM
Your Dad's right.  A good piece of steel* can be made in to a good knife, one way or another.  If you didn't know that it might be quite complicated looking.  But then some people are crafty and pick it up real quick.  Just search for the knife making sites.

*On the other hand, just because it was a knife, doesn't mean it was a good one or that it was made with good steel.

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Schramm

Lud

That's some classic leatherwork on those sheaths!  They look fine.  Years ago I built an oversize Bowie for a member of the Northern Army of Virginia artillary reenactment brigade.  He claimed they chopped down saplings for their gun emplacements with it .  This was a group that worked on the Killer Angels movie that was released as Gettysburg.

Yeah,  big knives are cool......... 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!