iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crap in the woods

Started by Jeff, September 21, 2002, 09:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I knew that would getcha ta look :D

I have been working on a project that excites me and I think it will make a real difference. I have been building the adopt-a forest website, working closely with program director Ada Takacs of the MI DNR.

As of today you can go to www.cleanforests.org and report trash sites that you find in Michigan forests. The sites are listed in a searchable database. You can search existing trashsites and report status of the site or volunteer to help with their clean up. Our goal is to get the word out to anyone that goes in a Michigan forest that this is available. Adopt-a-Forest will try to publicize the site to all known agencies, groups, and organizations that participate in environmental cleanups.

In the near future the site will be connected to mapping photo that will map the sites down to their legal description. By simply querying a given site it will load the correct map.  For now it only brings up a county map till we get access to the image bank.

If anyone knows of any other site like this in any state please let me know. I think this is the first of its kind and hopefully will be an important tool in Keeping Michigans forests clean.

I am pretty proud of the work we have done on this so far. Please take a look, and let me know if you have any suggestions on improving such a site. The site has not been officially launched, but is very usable right now.

If you need it use it!  Look for the link "Search dumpsite database" to see how it returns sites.  Example counties in Michigan could be clare or midland if you would like to try it out.

www.cleanforests.org
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tillaway

Got me there Jeff,

Good idea but I would have one concern regarding Meth Labs.  I like the idea of reporting and having the data base, and one may actually exist in California or Oregon similar to this but it may be administered by the local county sheriffs office or deparment of evironmental quality.  The problem we have out here is that a very high percentage of trash dumps like this are used to dispose of Meth Lab refuse.  Basically it is very hazardous waste.

It is a great idea and I enthusiastically say go ahead on her, but I was wondering how the group will address this.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Jeff

Till, This program is not new. It has been in place for several years. AAF has cleaned over 1,000,000 acres of public land in Michigan to date. They have picked up enough discarded tires that if you lined them up they would span the Mackinaw Bridge. The creation of the website just makes all this much simpler to report sites or coordinate clean up.

I don't know if meth labs have presented a problem here or not. I am good friends with the director of the program and she has never mentioned it to me. I know a lot of loggers and foresters and outdoors people in general and it has never come up in my experience.

There is a section on hazardous waste in the AAF guide. Basically, if a site is determined to have hazardous waste, it is left for the professionals.

http://www.cleanforests.org/guide.shtml

How does California handle those sites? Are they just left?

Tillaway

Hey Jeff,
One the main sources of income in rural Oregon, Washington, and California is the production of controlled substances.  Currently Meth is king.  I guess my concern is that basically, that buried in one of these trash dumps is an old Meth Lab.

These lab dumps have to be cleaned up by a Haz Mat Team either contrators or government.  Unfortunately most dumps are left because there are more dumps than bucks to clean them.  If you walk along the edge of some roads in certain counties you will find 3 or 4 per mile.

I guess I got kind of concerned because just how many we have here.  A volunteer cleanup effort here on trash dump sites would probably not be wise.  I am glad it is different there.

Jeff

I will talk to Ada about this so I can be more informed. Man, that sounds like a mess, but I cant be to fast to say that I am glad it aint like that here, because maybe in parts of Michigan it is.  If someone finds even a syringe in a public place in my part of the state, it makes the local news.

KiwiCharlie

G'day Jeff,

Yep, got me too!  I was expecting a bear story. ;)
You really cant have many hours left in a day, with work, and all the web stuff your doing.  I take my hat off to you Jeff.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Ron Wenrich

Here's the site for Pennsylvania.  http://www.cleanpaforests.org  There has always been a problem, but the state is only targeting those areas on state forest and park lands.  Dumps on private lands are a totally different issue.

http://www.pacleanways.org/ is another site that concerns cleaning up dump sites.  This is a volunteer organization.  I believe they are involved in the adopt-a-highway organization.  We used to pull guys out of jail to do that.

We also have people who go out and clean up the streams and rivers. 

None of these have an interactive site.  What would be the legal problems if you put down a neighbors property, whether there is a dump or not?   One man's dump is another man's treasure.  I'd be a little careful in this area.

We have one site next to a state park that is loaded with old cars.  It is an eyesore and probably has numerous mosquito nesting sites.  They have tried every trick to get this site cleaned up.  It is grandfathered out, since it wasn't illegal at the time.  Local, county and state cannot get the site cleaned up.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

AAF is only for public lands. Only sites on public lands are added to the database. When you report a site it does not go directly to the database. First it is varified. If it exists, and is on public lands, this includes State and federal, it is added to the database.

Jeff

If it included private I am afraid Tammy would rport whats behind my barn. ;)

Stamp

Hi guys! Our volunteers have run into meth labs before, but not to the extent Tillaway experiences in his state.  We have also run into unexploded ordinance (near Camp Grayling), loaded rifles and shotguns (probably dumped by poachers), medical waste, and many hazardous wastes in large drums, etc.  These sites are reported to the local authorities (generally the health department or DEQ) and cleaned up using Haz Mat companies.  We constantly mention this stuff in our newsletters and special mailings.

We should have a safety alert area on our website other than what we have in the guide.  I have Meth Lab pamphlets we could get permission to copy along with other materials with special interests (like how to identify medical waste, etc.).

FYI, we are going to be working on a safety video soon.  Perhaps we can include a clip from that on our website.

Ada M. Takacs, Volunteer Coordinator
Michigan Dept of Natural Resources
Forest, Mineral and Fire Mgt Division
8717 North Roscommon Road
Roscommon, Michigan 48653
989.275.5151, Ext 2049 voice
989.275.5167  Fax
takacsa@michigan.gov

Tom

Good job, Ada.  I'm proud of you for your efforts.  What y'all are doing is one of those things that is easy to ignore hoping that someone else will do it. Good Show!

RMay

Here in Arkansas the A.F.C. have the woodland dumps the A.F.C gets a complaint from the landowners of a dump on their land. The A.F.C. finds a name in it and can find the dumpers it is a $1000 doller fine and clean up. If no name is found a camera is set up to look for a lic. number. The judge will let them work it off at $5.00 an hour on clean up of dumps. It has cut down on the dumps in the state!
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Jeff

Ada and I have been doing a ton of work to the AAF website.

Tillaway, thanks for opening my eyes to the methlab thing. Of coaurse Ada knew all about it but I had never. We have added pages on identifying a meth lab if you come across one in the woods. You may have guys and didnt even know it.

http://www.cleanforests.org/  look for the link called safezone on the lower right. While yer at it check out our link called Cool trash. Things that were found during clean ups that are sorta special.

Try the match game we developed on the kids page.

Please visit the Adopt-a-Forest website. I am very proud of this one.

Tillaway

Good Job!
Great site Jeff, two thumbs up.

Jeff

You may notice, that this topic is over a dozen years old. In 2002 we built the first website for the Michigan Adopt-A-Forst Program, and the Forestry Forum has donated the upkeep and hosting since then. The website had become  "antiquated" over the years, so much so that I didn't even want to tell people I had built it. It had always remained functional, but oh so dated.  So, this past month, in the name of the Forestry Forum, working with member Stamp, the site was rebuilt from the ground up. We have a new database reporting system, and continue to add new functionality to the site for the volunteers who have now cleaned up over 2.5 million acres!

I'm very proud to announce the re-launch of the Adopt-A-Forest website to the members of the Forestry Forum. Your membership, and the sponsors that support us, has made it possible for us to be a continued supporting part of this program!

www.cleanforests.org

mad murdock

You done a great job on the site. It looks real good, and quite easy to see all that is to be seen at a glance. Thanks for all you do Jeff!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Holmes

Congratulations Jeff on another job Very Well Done !
Think like a farmer.

clww

Terrific and congratulations! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

brianJ

@ Jeff    You bring up a question I have had recently.   What is the forestry forum etiquette  regarding posts to old topics?

Being like my avatar fish out of water I have lots of questions and each time I learn something I have a further question.

Jeff

There's gold in them there old posts. :)   I think that is one of the great things about the Forestry Forum. You can make an old post new again by simply posting on it. No problems what so ever when someone wants to bring up an old topic. Many times its like seeing an old friend. :)

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Jeff on June 05, 2015, 08:47:13 PM
There's gold in them there old posts. :)   I think that is one of the great things about the Forestry Forum. You can make an old post new again by simply posting on it. No problems what so ever when someone wants to bring up an old topic. Many times its like seeing an old friend. :)

And many a time there's posts by old friends we wish we could see again  :'( :'(  :'(

Herb

timberlinetree

Great thing to do and very important. Nice job!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

mesquite buckeye

I never find carp in the woods. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Jeff on June 05, 2015, 08:47:13 PM

Though there are many great things about this forum, this is one of the best things, in my opinion!

I've recently been involved on a forum about entirely different topics than here--I found an old old post about something that interested me, and asked a question about it. I got spanked by a charter member (not an administrator) who wanted to know how'sa come I didn't just start a new thread, cuz this here thread is ancient. ( Sorry, pal. . . . that's how I learned to roll in the Forestry Forum!)  smiley_roller
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!