iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine Logs--under water

Started by TxLogger, December 12, 2001, 03:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxLogger

I have the opportunity to buy some oversize grade SYP logs from a local woodyard that have been under water for ????.  Have any of you guys ever sawn logs like this (water soaked)?  I know that some of the logs will be stained but will the logs make good lumber?  Any drying problems? Any input would be appreciated.

Tom

Tom

I saw submerged timber very frequently, Tex.

To keep the bugs out of the pine and the blue stain down and the rot to a  minimum, my farmer type customers throw the logs in the farm pond until one of us portable millers can get to them.  I have sawn pine that has been deliberately submerged for over a year and find it to be just as good as it was when it was put in the pond.  The bark will slip after time but that's ok and the wood surface is slick as can be but that's ok too.  Sometimes the log smells of pond silt but I haven't noticed it being inside of the log.  (I have sawed cypress that has been submerged for a hundred years and it stinks through and through but it goes away with drying)

It has been suggested by others that cut submerged wood to saw it as soon as possible so that the log doesn't begin to check.  When I saw submerged logs they have been out of the pond for maybe a day and usually are being dragged to me directly from the water.

I have sawed pine that has been submerged for a hundred years and the sap wood is no good but the hearts are good.  If you are not talking about many years then my experience is that the log will be in great shape.

Ron Scott

Underwater Logs are usually as good as the day they went down. Underwater log salvage is a profitable business for some here in the Lake States and Canada.

The book 'Underwater Logging" is currently out of print, but a copy might be available in your local library or dive shop.
~Ron

Jeff

Ron we need to talk about getting your book out there for the forum. Maybe an online version??  I know somebody that can make it happen ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

marc

I watched a show a few weeks ago where they were pulling logs out of the Ottawa river, the reason the logs were so valuable was because the growth rings were so close together because they were from old growth forests. some of the highly dense birds eye maples were selling for up to 30 thousand dollars. :o

Ron Scott

Many of the "sinkers" that I've salvaged were the heavier and denser hardwood logs, not always the large white pine that people expected from the early logging days. There were also a lot of small diameter logs so they cut and floated most everything.

The "birds eye'' maple finds in the Upper Peninsula waters were and still are great finds. I understand that there have been some permits requested to salvage logs from the Manistee river here in Lower Michigan. It's a designated Wild & Scenic River though so obtaining a log salvage permit will be most difficult if at all.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!