iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hiring women

Started by babylogger, October 26, 2004, 06:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babylogger

ok if a women can relocate and learN (which you do everyday)would you hire a female skidder operator and would you teach her how to cut? cmon guys i wanna hear this!
love logger

Jeff

Depends on the woman. You aint any different then the guys. We had a woman lumber piler a couple three years ago that was one of the best workers we ever had. She fell in love and quit. :-/ Question has nothing to do with weather you are a woman or not, its weather you can do the job.  I find that women who tend to complain about being treated like a woman are simply using thier sex as an excuse for thier personal failure. Our board piler never suggested we treat her any different, in fact, take it the way you want, would never have even posed such a question as this. Either would either of the gals that haul logs into the mill. THey aint "Woman Log truck Drivers" They are simply "Log haulers", just like the rest. They can do the job. I reckon if they ever decided not to, they would stop without fanfare and not claim "its because I am a woman".
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

HORSELOGGER

Not sure I could hire a female skidder operator. I dont have any problem with it, but my main loggin team is a pair of geldings, and they just dont seem to have the time of day for the female hand. They would just as soon stand on em as next to em. :o My oldest daughter can get em to listen, but she has to get after em a bit ;)I think they must be chauvanists ;D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Mark M

Sure, I would! But she would have to bring her own skidder....and I suppose some trees too.  ;)

We have a female truck mechanic who works in the shop. She does a good job. About twenty years ago I worked with a women mechanic and she wasn't worth a crap. Not because she was a women but because she was a pith poor mechanic and very sloppy. We have some men that are the same way.

hosslog

Sure,why not? How  much do you know about horses?

babylogger

oh my jeff i wasnt implying that i need special treatment just cuz im female where i live its a do or die situation. i was just wondering if any of you males would teach a female all about logging? thats it, sorry i guess i didnt make myself clear...i still want to learn how to cut tho!
love logger

ARKANSAWYER

TammyJo runs the skidder for Watts Logging here.  She does a fine job and is about fearless in there.  Since the controls are all power it does not take any real strenght to run one.  Had a gal work for me last summer but when it got hot she quit.  Seemed unable to handle the sweat and sawdust.  Come to Arkansas and I will let you run the sawmill and teach you how to fell trees.  I don't have a skidder but I do have a tractor and timber tongs.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

EZ

Down at the shop in my department, the bosses have a problem with a woman worker. Dont matter to them if they are a good worker or not, sooner or later they will be fired. I trained a woman couple years ago to run the furnace, caught on real quick and did a fine job. The bosses were on her chase all the time, many times had her crying. She went to the union and they told to just do her job right, no help there. After about 6 months of abuse she quit. Really felt bad for her, cant beleave they can get away with crap like this down there.
EZ

MULE_MAN

I would have to agree with Jeff. It depends on the women, There's allot  of women
out there that can  out work a man !!  And then there's some when the going get's
tough they quit !! But I have also seen men like that . It just depends on the person !
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Fla._Deadheader

I probably shouldn't post this, but, I call 'em like I see 'em.

Babylogger, your questions seem to indicate that you have a chip on your shoulder. I can definitely relate to how women are treated in the workplace. I don't think it's right, either. However, take up Arkansawyers offer and go see him.

I knew several loggers out there. One killed 2 drunks that was throwing rocks at him. He has 4 sons, last I knew. They would rather fight than eat. One got clocked with a Coke bottle and laid unconscious on the dirt floor of a shop the entire night. Next day they looked and he was gone. Said, "well, guess he aint dead". Work with them and get in their face and they will beat the snot outta you, and go back to work. I got along REALLY well with them. We were FRIENDS. Bought their logs. I was a *DanG Yankee outsider and new-comer. VERY hard to become friends with them hard-headed types. I DID it.

If ya wanna learn how to cut, go buy a saw and walk up to a tree. If yer brother or Dad is there, ask 'em 1 time to start teaching you how to do it. If they won't, tell 'em that you may kill yourself, and start the saw. If they really care about you, they will show you. If not, move away and find another place to live. Sorry, but, that attitude made me type this. Hope you can lighten up a little.  Sounds like you have had a bad deal for quite a while and have developed a shell so things bounce off. It AIN'T becoming of a female type lady.

Of course, I need help diving for logs and would give you a try-out, as soon as you get here. Betcha them Men-folk would NEVER try this.  ;) ;) ;D ;D  C'mon down. Really.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Patty

The way I see it, if you do your job well, the "being a woman" thing should never come up in the conversation. Just like the folks here are saying, it all comes down to the person, can they do the job, and can they do it well without an attitude...that is all that matters.

If someone else makes a big deal about the "being a woman" thing, then they are the one with the problem.
With that said, I see alot of women who want the extra attention, they want to look weak and stupid, they must think it makes them more attractive or something.  ::)  

It seems odd to me that in this day and age, you would even have to ask the question....
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Roxie

When you really want to learn about something because it genuinely interests you.....you find a way to learn.  If one person doesn't give you the information you need, you find someone else.  It doesn't have anything to do with male or female.  It is no longer an issue that "men" won't give you a chance.  You make your own chances and you find your own way.  
You phrased your question in the form of a challenge, and Florida DH and Patty are correct.  You're just coming at this from the confrontation side.  If you want to learn a skill and ask the forum folks how to go about it, then just rephrase your question to something like "I'd like to try running a skidder...what do I need to know to get started?"  There isn't a person on this forum that wouldn't like to see you suceed, male or female!  Keep trying and don't lose patience!  
Say when

Murf

I was reading a physiology study a ways back and the conclusion was that women are far better at hand & eye co-ordination than men as an overall group. They are statistically, when experience levels are equal, better pilots, equipment operators, and believe it or not, better aims with a gun.

As Horselogger metioned can you handle a team? Have you considered moving to Canada?  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Bro. Noble

We had a milk hauler with a real attitude :-/  Was always griping about people making it hard on short people with ear rings.  The inspector insisted on a hairnet because of the long hair.  I avoided being at the barn during pickup because of all the tantrums.  I sure was glad when HE quit ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Percy

As we speak, my edgerperson/chop sawyer is Vannessa, my Daughter in law(sorta, they aint really married). The odd time she cant lift a big flitch onto the edger table...so I help her and call her names(incompetant panti waist). :D :D When I miscut, she dont stop scorning me for hours :D :D.

Seriously, after three months, she runs the bobcat quite well,can edge with the best of them, chops clears outta boards Ida thrown away, and has run the LT70 a few times BUT I kinda put the kybosh on that, (dont wanna lose my job0 :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Mrs._Fred

I agree with Patty- it should simply boil down to "if you can do the work and do it well"

I have worked in the sawmill business for quite a few years with Fred, and  we worked as a couple for another sawmill before that. Were there things I couldn't do? Yup, fraid so but my boss knew that, and the guys I worked with knew and more importantly.... I knew it so I took the jobs that I could do with little or no help (off bearing and skinnin' bark off ties)
Would I help cut? Nope, but not because I am female, simply because I'm real bad with sharp things haha and would surely lose a finger- :o or worse!
I got a chuckle out of Bro. Nobles post because I am back in dairy (it suits me much better as a person than sawing) and while it is quite literally a "crappy job" I do NOT do "crappy work" Once in awhile, one of the cows decides they are bigger than me and we go round and round, but I deal with it and go on......... til the next milking  :D
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

OneWithWood

Babylogger,
If you want to learn to cut the most correct and best way find a game of logging or cutter training course close to you.  Often times the state lumber association sponsors these classes.  There are four classes for cutting and two for skidding, I think.  I have taken the first three cutting classes and I have learned a ton.  It is also a good way to make contacts with other loggers.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Swede

To hire a woman or not to hire a women......... That´s the qestion?   ???

If she looks too ugly: No she´ll frighten the customers and the neighbors cat.

If she have bad habits: No  she´ll get drunk,  frighten the good customers and entertain the bad.

If she looks very (very, very) good: No  she´ll be in love, quit and move.

If she looks rather good, and don´t have too many bad habits: No  I´ll marry her.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

beenthere

Swede - that was good humor. :)

Seems to me that 'babylogger' or 'love logger' (not sure why those names were picked-but can make some guesses) can read the responses and pick her course of action. If she'll re-read all her messages so far on this forum, I think she can come to some agreement within herself whether she is a whiner, on the defensive, or has the 'get up and get goin' to go after what it is that she wants.
There are handouts, via a lot of govt. programs for the minorities, that are available. I personally don't vote that way, because I don't see it making strong people. But, sometimes I am in the 'minority' in the voting booth.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bro. Noble

Mrs. Fred,

My son gets into a conflict with a cow now and then (he much prefers sawmilling)  I tell him you can't out physical them,  you gotta out mental em. :D

Fla._Deadheader

Taint true Bro. Noble. We had a wild one that kicked my wife in the face and cut her bad. We ATE that one, small bites at a time. ;) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ed_K

Ed K

Corley5

I've worked with my a woman for going on six years now and she's better than many of the men I've worked with.  She can now do just about anything that's required as part of being a Wildlife Assistant in the Pigeon River State Forest.  She'd never driven a tractor before but within a couple weeks was proficient.  It took her a bit longer to get the front end loader figured out but she's good with it now.  She can disk, plow seed, mow, you name it but I always give her a raft of $h** whenever there's something that's too heavy etc that requires my attention and it irritates her when I make it look easy ;D :D ;) 8) :).  We get along great and the only problem we've ever had was when she took 2 months off this summer for maternity leave and I had to work with an idiot college kid for the summer who was only good at breaking things >:( >:(  I told her she's owes me really big for that one ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D  Chainsaw operation is the one thing she's not comfortable with yet.  I've given her the basic pointers and she's cut some firewood on the pile but that's about it.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

Just to add a bit more about Linnae.  I wouldn't have a problem at all with her doing anything out there by herself as long as she has a line of communication which is basic for everyone who works in the sticks but the supervision still doesn't get it.  If I'm gone a day they will as a rule pen her up in the office unless she can get away before they catch her.  They still haven't figured out that she's perfectly capable.  It not only irks her but me too.  I trained her and she's good but they don't trust her >:(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bro. Noble

Harold,

When we first talked about building a dairy barn and going into the milking business,  a friend gave me two suggestions.  I wish I had believed him and followed his advice.  It would have samed me a lot of time and pain and suffering.

One was:  If a cow kicks you,  take a 2X4 and beat her to the ground.  She has to learn who's boss.  

Thank You Sponsors!