iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodland mills blade sharpener

Started by trimguy, February 04, 2020, 09:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trimguy

I did a search and couldn't really find anything. I know this isn't going to be the best one out there but, how about a good one. Anyone have experience with this sharpener , good , bad ?? I mill for personal use as a hobby. Also, it says it has settings for 7, 10, and 14 degree. all my blades are 8 degree could I set it for my blades.  Thanks for all input and advise.

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

trimguy

Thank you for that link. I checked out the Timberking sharpener also. I would like votes on either. I realize these wont be as good as some out there but, at this price range I thought more serious hobbiest would have one of these. Is the price range to high for the hobbiest and not quite good enough for the professional  ? Or am I just missing something obvious ? I have never been around any of these sharpeners , so I don't know. I have some blades that need sharpening and for what ive been paying for resharpening I could pay for this with the blades I have (not counting my time). I could set this up In the shop and let it run while doing other things and not be out a lot of extra time. OH, and I took your poll . Looks like I'm the only one using 8 degree blades in softwood. guess I just have to buck the system. ;D

DDW_OR

one thing i have been thinking of adding is a dial timer.
time how long it takes to sharpen the band twice, then turn the dial to that time.
that way i can do something else while listening to the sharpening.

here is my sharpening bench, 3x6
top, Left to right
electric knife sharpener (hidden)
Harbor freight circle saw blade sharpener, rate it 4 out of 10
Barn cat bed
resolve spray cleaner

Bench, left to right
Dual tooth settter
Timberking Tallon sharpener
Oregon chainsaw sharpener

Green item in back - Honey extractor hand crank. now is electric

the hooks came from the dolor tree. left is dull, right is sharp

trimguy

Thanks @DDW_OR for the pictures. how do you like your Timberking sharpener. I have recently looked at them, they are a little more money. I need this to be cost effective , but also effective in my time and energy. Do you always sharpen twice ,or just on damaged blades ? In " real life " about how long does it take you to sharpen a blade ?

DDW_OR

here is what i think.
Cook's Cat Claw or Wood-Mizer BMS 250 in Sawmills and Milling

basically
sharpener = yes
dual tooth gauge = yes

dual tooth setter = HELL NO
it brakes the teeth.

Thank You Sponsors!