iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15wide cut width

Started by Brad_bb, July 25, 2019, 10:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I looked at an LT15wide at woodmizer this morning.  I measured between the fully open guides and measured 36".  Measuring from the small stop on the bed to the far guide was 33.5".  So inorder to get the full cutting width, you have to overhang the stops. If you have made a few cuts on a log and flip it over, you run into the stop.  The way I got around this on my regular LT15 the other day was...I have some 2x6 hardwood boards about 22 inches long that I screwed 1.5"x1.5"  pieces to the bottom that securely fit on either side of the cross bar (aka bunk, aka bed cross bar).  These raise the log above the small stops and let you slide the log over them.  If the log is heavy enough, it won't move due to the friction.  If you need a stop you could screw something to the top of the 2x6 with a wooden stop.  Another option would be the stair tread grip tape.  This, however, would prevent you from adjusting the log with a slabbed bottom side back and forth.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

John S

Similar situation with the LT40 Wide.  34 inches between the guides, 30 inches from the side stops on the bed rails.  I have not yet done what you have Brad, but it has been on my mind. So far the widest I have managed on a crotch cut is 32 inches.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Pepe_Silvia

Quote from: Brad_bb on July 25, 2019, 10:06:07 AM
 If the log is heavy enough, it won't move due to the friction.  
I've had some pretty big logs slide when I was relying on friction.
Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

Brad_bb

On the cherry log I did yesterday, I had the log on the bed as normal and cut 80 percent down the length, but the crotch wouldn't fit so I got it raised up and over the stops and just slowly finished the other 15%  of the way through.  Move the head rig slowly and if you start to see any slippage, I put a hand on the log and one on the head rig.  I don't have any trouble until the log gets smaller/lighter. 

Bruno of NH

I noticed this on my lt40 wide
The side supports need to be low when you put a big log on in order to get the 34 inch cut.
The log needs to be fairly straight also.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Brad_bb

Yep, they make a wide mill and it's still not wide enough  ;D!

Thank You Sponsors!