iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 2100 ... part found in muffler ...what is it?

Started by rickk, November 26, 2005, 01:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickk

I am going thru a Husqvarna 2100CD (bought it used... runs strong but a bit beat up). Anyway, I noticed a rattling noise. I tracked it down to something in the muffler. I removed the exhaust screen and jiggled things. A small metal plate came out of the exhaust port. It is about 1/2 inch by 1 inch in size, rounded corners. It is not flat, but has about a 30 degree bend in it - the bend connects opposite corners ("cuts" the piece diagonally, if that makes any sense).

What is this part? I can't see how it could have gotten in there all by itself - it must be part of the saw. I looked in the Illustrated Parts List and don't seen anything like this in there. The saw was running yesterday, so it seems it can't be something that is critical to making the engine run.

Anyone have any idea?

rebocardo

Not owning a 2100 (just Husky 365) , it might be a piece of the muffler itself near the bolt holes that hold the muffler down. I would look for a weld mark and then figure out from where it vibrated off. It might be a shield inside the muffler that goes under the screen itself.

rickk

I pull the muffler off and looked around. The mysterious piece just looks too clean to have been part of the muffler. It is not rusted, and appears to be blue in finish. There do not appear to be any spot weld marks or broken edges on the piece that make me think it was connected to something else. There doesn;t appear to be anything as far inside the cylinder that I can see that it should be part of. I don't think it is small enough to have come through the intake ports.

Very wierd.

I am thinking that you may be right, and that it has to be part of the muffler, but am having a hard time convincing myself of that.

When I took the muffler off I found two small hoses behind it, maybe 1/8" id. I think they might be oil and gas. One of the hoses was black rubber, the other clear plastic. The clear plastic one was melted from the muffler heat and no longer connected on the oil tank side. I am wondering if it was always clear plastic, or was rubber at one time as well.

Anyone know if there is an auto parts type tubing that can be used here, or if I need to order the hoses from the chain shop?

rickk

I've stared at the inside of the muffler for an hour or so... The mystery part just doesn't look like it came out of the inside of the muffler. It has no rust on it, and no obvious attachment residue.

Very wierd.

sawguy21

I snuck in a peek here while at work today and checked the 2100 IPL. I think your mystery part is the flame protector that fits behind the spark arrestor screen. If the older style muffler, it is probably an internal baffle that has broken loose. The mod guys woild deep six it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rickk

thanks for taking a peek inside that muffler. The mystery piece I have seems to have no spot weld marks on it. What holds it in place?

sawguy21

The IPL showed the flame protector held in by  the spark arrestor screws. The pic of the older model shows a one piece body so I suspect  the part you have was sandwiched inside. If the body does not separate, try cutting it apart at the seam with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel. If you can see where it fit, tack it  to the half with brazing rod and re-assemble the muffler. If not, put it back together and fuggedaboutit.
I did not check if either muffler is still available. but probably not for the early one.

rickk

OK... i'll see if I can see where it would have been sandwitched between something.  If that is all it is it will go in the trash.

After staring at this thing for hours, the holes in the back of the spark arrestor assembly look kinda small, so maybe Mister Electric Drill will play with them a bit.

Thanks for the help !

sawguy21

Sit down Shut up and Hang on if you are going to open up the muffler on that bad boy ;D
At least you can play with the tuning on it without having to worry about limiter caps and rev limiters like on the new ones. Good luck.

Thank You Sponsors!