iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Toowoomba Agricultural Show (AKA: GUESS who I met today)!!!

Started by asy, September 06, 2006, 11:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

Had a GREAT day today,

Andy, his brother Greg, Dad, and I went to the Toowoomba Ag.

We went to look at lots of things, saw most of them, but the show was so BIG it was impossible to see everything in one day. We saw the main things we went to see.

Here are some of the things we saw:

The first mill we came across was this one:

It's a Serra Bandmill.

Imagine my SHOCK when I was told it cost $170k. (that's over $130k USD).

I suggested that, instead, one might buy a yacht for $100k and sail it to the USA and buy a Woodmizer...

The next mill we came to was the Lucas Mill. They weren't milling at the time and weren't too interested in talking, so we went on a couple of tents further and found the Peterson Mill.

The two guys at this stand were really chatting it up with everyone standing around. One had a Kiwi accent, the other broad Aussie.

They fired the mill up and put it through it's paces.

This is a partly sawn log.

This is what they cut out of the log (off on the left), the Peterson Dealer (the bloke with the Aussie accent) has a market for these HUGE posts, this one was B-I-G. You can see how little was left of the tree!

This is the "guy with the Kiwi accent" checking progress.

So, anyway, proceedings go thus:

Mill stops.
asy calls Kiwi-guy over and says "Hello".
asy: "are you from NZ?"
k-g: "Yep"
asy: "Um, are you from Peterson?"
k-g: "Yep"
asy: (now suspicious) "Um, are you on the FORESTRY FORUM???"
k-g" (now very curious) "Um yeeeeeas"
asy: What's yer NAME on the forum?
k-g: NZJake!!!
asy: HAHAHA HOW COOL IS THIS!!!  I'm asy!!!

Introductions all round, and away we all went, chatting like long lost cousins!

Here's a photo to prove we met:

It was really cool to put a face to the name.

Here's Jake telling Andy (and Greg) all about the mill:

(Either that, or they were talking about fishing in NZ, I think Jake was telling them about his last Trout catch, I couldn't hear properly, but it sure looks that way).

This is a photo of the log dogs Jake invented, they're really cool. Simple and easy.

Gotta say, ya couldn't meet a nicer bloke. We really enjoyed meeting him. He's got an invite for a famous asy-dinner any time he's in Brisbane.

Then, after that, we went back to the Lucas Mill area, they'd said they were going to fire their mill up in 15 minutes, over an hour ago, and we'd been watching out of the corner of our eye, and they hadn't fired up yet.

Well, it was pretty much lunch time, so we unpacked lunch and sat around their eating.

Finally they fired up. Here's a shot of the mill in ACTION!

I admit, I didn't get a really good shot, coz I was eating my salad, and sitting in a chair. But nevertheless, I got a shot!

I was really dissappointed at the guys running the stand, they just really didn't seem to want to talk. One of them came and stood beside me, and I said, The guys are interested in the mill (pointing to Andy and Greg) and all he said was "Oh, good!, Hey Lunch, that's a good idea, think I'll get mine" and went off to his car and got his lunch!!!

Now, don't misunderstand, I am sure they're a good mill, I know people who have them and are really happy with them, but geeeez, someone needs to tell these guys how to run a show display! (I am available on a contract basis, by the way  ;) ).

Aaaaaaaanyway...   Onward:

Right up the other end of the show, I found this tent, I think they were waiting for da Boss to arrive, but he was busy being Bear-able.

I also found this book, in a book tent, it was pretty much the most magnificent book on horses I've ever seen. I'm going to keep an eye out for it on ebay.

Well, we walked and walked and walked. I'm sunburned and sore. It's nearly 2am (coz I was fighting with the gallery), and I'm going to bed now.

Hope you all enjoyed the little tour.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

dewwood

Thanks for the pics and tour!  Looks like you had a nice time and the show looks to be quite a shindig.  Your pics are probably the closest I will ever get to this particular show so thanks again for sharing.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Burlkraft

Looks like ya had a nice day there Asy ;D ;D ;D

Did ya buy a Peterson then ??? ??? ??? ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

asy

Quote from: Burlkraft on September 06, 2006, 04:52:52 PM
Did ya buy a Peterson then ??? ??? ??? ???

Didn't buy anything.

Mill purchase is Andy's decision. He picks the mill, I pick the oven. Seems a fair thing.

Hopefull he'll log on and SAY SOMETHING!

asy :D

thecfarm

Thank-you for the tour.It's great being able to go to one of these shows.I always have a great time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Husband

Hey asy, just so ya know, Jake SAW a trout that big once :D.
That hand signal was how close that 12 pounder got to the boat before it broke the line :D :D :D.

Andy Mack

It was certainly a fun day.  We saw lots of toys.  I went there thinking I'd be getting a Lucas 8" 30HP machine.  But Jake was so helpfull, and I'm a little bit attracted to the idea of a 10" Peterson machine.   Its a pity that Ecosaw wasn't there.

asy

Thank You Sponsors!