iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cat 518c

Started by Justalogger, June 15, 2019, 09:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justalogger

Transmission temperature started running half way on flat ground it's normally always ran about a quarter of the way in the gauge about half of engine temperature. When we have to pull a hill we drop the trees and winch em up but it's wanting to get close to the red line on temperature. Everything was recently serviced including new transmission filter. I dropped the fluid the other day and pulled the suction screen out on bottom of trans and it was clean. I'm just wondering if anyone else may have any ideas I already bought a new transmission cooler for it and will be taking off old one and putting new one on tomorrow.Thanks

Justalogger

Also everything is running just fine no other signs of anything still pulls and shifts like it has forever..

Riwaka

New cooler might restore the usual temperature level.

One factor to consider is - machines designed and made more than 20 plus  years ago were designed and prototype in the field tested for conditions that happened then.

Cat might have a range of coolers available. Sometimes there is a 'tropical kit', 'desert kit' etc that is installed on machines run in high day time temperatures.
If the new cooler does not work well enough, you might have to see what else is on the shelf - bigger, different design, materials etc

Some summers can be hotter than others in various areas. 

New Normal: Temperatures Are Trending Up Across U.S. | Climate Central

Justalogger

Well just got the new cooler installed not much changed drove around awhile and then made a pull and got half way again that quick. More info on skidder i did put a new torque converter in a little over 2 years ago and new transmission pump. Everything seems normal just a jump in transmission temp at half way when checking the oil it is very hot to the touch. Hopefully someone may have an idea on this thanks

Riwaka

What does the infra-red heat gun and oil sampling analysis show?

Justalogger

I have not done that

snobdds

Quote from: Justalogger on June 15, 2019, 09:41:25 PM
Transmission temperature started running half way on flat ground it's normally always ran about a quarter of the way in the gauge about half of engine temperature. When we have to pull a hill we drop the trees and winch em up but it's wanting to get close to the red line on temperature. Everything was recently serviced including new transmission filter. I dropped the fluid the other day and pulled the suction screen out on bottom of trans and it was clean. I'm just wondering if anyone else may have any ideas I already bought a new transmission cooler for it and will be taking off old one and putting new one on tomorrow.Thanks
How confident are you in the temp gauge?  I would at least shoot with an IR temp gun, the input and output of the cooler to see what actual temps your dealing with.  Then compare that with your gauge and where in the loop it's located.  Sometimes those gauges ground out and cause issues.  

Justalogger

How confident are you in the temp gauge?  I would at least shoot with an IR temp gun, the input and output of the cooler to see what actual temps your dealing with.  Then compare that with your gauge and where in the loop it's located.  Sometimes those gauges ground out and cause issues. 

Pretty confident but always a possibility.I put it in new about 3 years ago. Cooler and lines are pretty hot to the touch I'm actually thinking about dropping the oil and pulling the metal line coming from bottom of trans to transmission pump just to make sure the possibility of it being plunged hasn't happened. I pulled the trans filter today and had a look and it's clean as can be. Have noticed a whistle sound around transmission/ hydraulic pump area today. I put a new transmission pump on a little over 2 years ago and a new hydraulic pump on back this winter

nativewolf

Quote from: snobdds on June 17, 2019, 04:34:54 PM
Quote from: Justalogger on June 15, 2019, 09:41:25 PM
How confident are you in the temp gauge?  I would at least shoot with an IR temp gun, the input and output of the cooler to see what actual temps your dealing with.  Then compare that with your gauge and where in the loop it's located.  Sometimes those gauges ground out and cause issues.  
@snobdds has a great suggestion.  IR guns are handier than you can imagine if you have never used one, cheap enough too.  You can put the laser reader right on a hose, a fitting, or a head etc.  The laser is so small that it lets you get really precise that it allows you to do diagnosis you would never have tried before.  

Liking Walnut

Justalogger

Well lines looked good changed oil in it again since it had to be dumped before taking line off from bottom of trans up to pump. Ran it for about a half hour didn't quite get half way in the temp hand. gun shows about 198 on top line at cooler and around 188 at bottom basically about 10-12* difference. And about 20* difference at radiator to. Main line going to trans pump and the pump are running about 200-210 while the hydraulic pump is about 140's

snobdds

Quote from: Justalogger on June 19, 2019, 05:45:56 PM
Well lines looked good changed oil in it again since it had to be dumped before taking line off from bottom of trans up to pump. Ran it for about a half hour didn't quite get half way in the temp hand. gun shows about 198 on top line at cooler and around 188 at bottom basically about 10-12* difference. And about 20* difference at radiator to. Main line going to trans pump and the pump are running about 200-210 while the hydraulic pump is about 140's
I would be ok with those numbers.  Next time the gauge gets hot, check your readings  again.   You will then know where your problem lies.  

Justalogger

I'll do that to. I'm actually going to go ahead and go pick up a new transmission pump tomorrow and get that on ASAP next chance I get a break in the weather to get to job site and get it on and see if that helps to. Actually noticed a whistling noise at pump today..

Ed_K

I would think that whistling is air sucking somewhere.
Ed K

kiko

X2 on the suction pipe to transmission pump.  Air leaks here will cause the transmission fluid to over heat.

Justalogger

Suction pipe is good had it off the other day checking things out..

Justalogger

Just got the new transmission pump on earlier it has a small squealing noise now when idling. Soon as put in gear the loudness increases. Temperatures still doing the same. Actually believe the original pump does better it did not have the squealing noise just a little whistle to it.

Justalogger

Just got it apart another busted torque converter again this one lasted 2 1/2 years busted the same way and same place as last time. $5,000 cat converters and major tear downs are getting old. Does anyone have any thoughts about what may be causing this to happen? What I don't understand is why are they building them out of cast aluminum for ? The one they sold me last time was nice it was billet but the oil ports were in wrong location so had to swap it out and this is what I got a cast converter. I think is a weak design. I could not get pictures to load but if u go to my profile they are on there though to look at. I bought a used take out transmission and whole nine yards converter and all it has the billet converter cat originally sold me lol. I had a guy tell me that cat accidentally installed 518 converters and housings in the 518c back in the day and had a recall on them and he bought them for a little of nothing and resold them to people with 518 Skidders so now knowing that makes since why when we order a torque from cat we always get the wrong one. I'm assuming because this skidder never got took back and changed out so they are selling me the correct one if it had been changed but since not that explains the mess about it. Anyways I'm thinking I will unbolt Torque housing off other transmission and make the swap that way I will be able to use that converter. Everything is the same except a lot nicer converter and housing difference is only different where oil ports match converter. Hope to hear some feedback on this situation

mike_belben

Thats just an unfortunate situation all around.  My initial thought was leaking relief valve in the pump causing low line pressure and slippage.  

What is breaking in the convertors? Are there fins actually popping off the stator and stuff?  Its not distributing trash is it?  

A bad convertor will certain churn fluid up and add extra heat.  More cooler area, shrouding and fans can help control it but i dunno if id wanna keep investing in iron with an acchilles heel. 
Praise The Lord

Justalogger

Just the main front cover breaks around the hub with oil ports. I took it apart all internals look good no broken fins or anything

Thank You Sponsors!