iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recommendations on selling some lumber

Started by gwisejr, May 12, 2019, 09:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwisejr

Good morning. On an earlier post, 
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=106308.msg1656418#msg1656418

I asked about lumber grading. I'm getting ready to build my house and I've cut down a bunch of pine trees and will be getting them milled mainly for fencing. I have way more than I need for the fencing and was considering milling some for 2x dimensional lumber for the house build. Due to the county requirements for grading, etc., the recommendation that I leaning towards was to sell what I don't need and buy the store bought structural lumber that I need. 

So, based on that, I was wondering if anyone selling rough sawn lumber would mind giving me some advise on what sells best in rough sawn pine. No worries, I'm not planning on getting into the business, I would rather use it my self but since that is a harder proposition, I just want to sell what I have to buy what I need. I'm estimating that I will have about ~6000 bf left after the ~3000bf I want for the fencing material. 

Thanks.
PS, I'm in the north Georgia Area around Canton, Ball Ground.

WV Sawmiller

I would be surprised if there was much of a market for pine for fencing as it is not very weather resistant. Around here people want white oak for horse fences and I think of western cedar and such for privacy fences. You might look at marketing it for making small storage sheds and such as an alternative. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

Actually the local building supply here sells a good amount of plump 4/4x6 treated SYP fence material, maybe call a treater and see if they are interested.

For the house I like it for wall, ceiling and porch paneling, flooring, one of our bathrooms is all SYP.

Resonator

The little bit of rough sawn framing lumber I have sold, I cut into full dimension 2" material. This can be a selling point, as it is a specialty product you cannot get at the big-box store. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

moodnacreek

Most any pine logs I get are for 1x12 boards because they always sell. I always stick them. Blue stain is the biggest problem.

John Bartley

Quote from: moodnacreek on May 12, 2019, 04:10:03 PM
Most any pine logs I get are for 1x12 boards because they always sell. I always stick them. Blue stain is the biggest problem.
Wide boards always sell.
When you get blue stain, separate them out and when you get enough piled up, advertise them in an urban area as "unique" with a "rare blue stain", and make sure you double the price.  :)
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

moodnacreek

I am surrounded by that type of customer but I can not deal with them.

Southside

Quote from: Don P on May 12, 2019, 11:33:12 AM
Actually the local building supply here sells a good amount of plump 4/4x6 treated SYP fence material, maybe call a treater and see if they are interested.

For the house I like it for wall, ceiling and porch paneling, flooring, one of our bathrooms is all SYP.
Yup - they will buy it, but it will have to be air dried, so you will need to sticker it and let it dry.  Good thing is this time of year it won't take long.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!