iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Engine Pivot SQUEAK!

Started by Ga Mtn Man, October 10, 2017, 09:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

I'm getting a loud squeak/groan from the engine pivot joint on my LT40.  I've sprayed everywhere I can find to spray with white lithium grease and it's still squeaking.  Need advice on where/how and what to lube with.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Percy

Way back when I had an Lt40, my bushings squawked when they needed needed replacing. Mine were a clamped rubber affair with bronze bushings in them.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Magicman

Be sure that it is the bushing and not any of the linkage that lifts the engine.  You will probably have to unload the bushing by using a jack/lift to take all of the engine weight off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

Definitely coming from the pivot.  Take the weight off to do...?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Chuck White

I replaced mine with the "all-metal" ones like BibbyMan did several years ago!

Not much of a job, but had to cut 1/4" off of the length of each of the bushings, did that with a hacksaw in the shop vice!

Look at "Useful Sawmill Mods" for BibbyMan's post.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

yep, they squeak, not sure to this day why a grease fitting was not put in play, it don't make much sense from a mechanical design stand point.  I used PB blaster, it helped,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Can you drive wooden wedges under the engine to take the weight off the bushing to change it?
Mine never has started squeaking .......yet.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

My mill does get rained on occasionally...wonder if that makes a difference.  I'm going to give the PB Blaster a try first.  If that doesn't fix it then it'll have to wait a while.  Too busy to be taking the mill apart right now.  Besides, I can't hear it squeak when the engines running anyway.

Magicman

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on October 10, 2017, 03:29:44 PM
Definitely coming from the pivot.  Take the weight off to do...? 
Taking the weight off relieves the pressure points and will allow the lube to get where it needs to go.  I would use the white lithium grease.  Yours should have the aluminum blocks and not need any attention but obviously it does.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Myn squeaked awhile ago too..I think I sprayed it with fluid film and it went away but it was so long ago I can't remember
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!