iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knotweed

Started by Woodboogah, July 01, 2011, 04:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

The knotweed in Southern NH is taking over at a rapid pace.  The towns seem uneducated about it, but it is everwhere.  Anyone else have this problem in their area?
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

beenthere

Haven't heard of it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Black_Bear

OneWithWood

I had a minor infestation of knotweed.  One treatment with triclopyr solved the problem. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Onthesauk

We've had it here in the NW for years.  Think one of the worst places is where it gets started on river banks, washes off and spreads for miles. 

I've got spots on my piece that are virtually impossible to stop.  Old pasture where I've kept it close mowed for 15 years, i.e. lawn mowing, will come back every year still.  Think tall timber will slow or thin it but still hangs on. 

Few years ago saw the mill spray an acre or two of it with half and half, crossbow/diesel and that pretty well killed it but strong enough to kill most everything else.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

Don't have it here. But we have had wild parsnip Pastinaca sativa for years and that stuff is as bad as poison ivy to some people. If you get the sap on you from weed whacking or something the bright sun will cause you to get blistered from it (photodermatitis). Not everyone has a reaction, but when they do it's nasty stuff. Some people eat the stuff I guess, they're welcome to it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Mc

We've got wild parsley as well, but it's a roadside thing, not a forest invasive. I've seen people permanently scarred from getting the stuff on them while working out in the sun. It's been here for about 5 or 10 years, but it's only relatively recently that it's been getting publicized and people are getting concerned. I remember several years ago someone reported trying to get the state interested in including it on a list of invasive species... they were told "oh, it's not worth it. It's not a real problem here". Too bad... that was the stage where we had a chance at controlling its spread
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

Not that I'm aware of. Certain things people just let take over for whatever reason. My big hate is burdock. Poison ivy too. I fight poison ivy all the time here. I have it at the edge of the field. Hates to die. Can kill it in the open,but in the woods it hangs on. I don't really know what it looks like at a young stage. Saw pictures of it 10 feet tall and in bloom. I would want to catch it before that stage. Google will show me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!