iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detroit 4-53 Oil Seal

Started by Spartan, November 12, 2015, 07:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

Have a front crank seal that is going out in the lower cover.  I have the seal to replace it.  Manual says there is a way to replace it without removing the front cover.
(engine is a 76)

Has anyone done that? What did you use?
What about the sleeve, can that be replaced without removing the lower cover?

Thanks, Brian

treeslayer2003

pry out the old seal. have used big screws drove in the seal body. idk bout installing the sleeve......maybe with the right driver if there ain't one already on there, dunno how you would get the old one off.

Spartan

It's just a sleeve on the crank itself that the seal runs on, correct?

treeslayer2003

yeah but it fits tight. normally to remove you have to stretch it with a ball peen hammer.

you might split it but chance scaring the surface. which may not be a huge deal.....

Spartan

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on November 12, 2015, 09:09:14 PM
yeah but it fits tight. normally to remove you have to stretch it with a ball peen hammer.

you might split it but chance scaring the surface. which may not be a huge deal.....

Yeah I was thinking that if it is a sleeve over the crank, it might do ok with a few blemishes under it.  I may just try to put the oil seal in without messing with the sleeve.  I could always install it later if it still leaked.

does the crank pulley need a puller to get it off?

It's Mike Right?

treeslayer2003

yes Brian its Mike lol. some times they will pull right off, other times it seems like they welded on. i once used a puller and a big bearing separator with threaded holes to break one loose. don't forget to loosen the retainer bolt in the center.

Spartan

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on November 12, 2015, 09:38:50 PMdon't forget to loosen the retainer bolt in the center.

That would be me....
Thanks Mike, I might give it a try tomorrow if it starts leaking worse, and if the wind doesn't blow me off the mountain.

spent most of my day today plowing snow drifts and pushing trucks.

treeslayer2003

treeslayer2003

Brian i told you wrong i think. mah brain kicked in gear today lol. i think the wear ring is on the pulley snout......in that case it will be easy to install.

Spartan

Thanks Mike.  I didn't have time to work on it today.  Had to plow again, we had heavy winds last 24hrs.  Then had to get a load into the deck.

I will get to it probably next week as its getting worse.  I had an unfortunate thing happen today.  Winch drum started leaking the case oil and I have bearing noise. smiley_crying

Plan is to  replace oil seal in the engine, and pull the winch to tear it apart.  I will have to use my contractors 518 until I fix my winch (don't want to smoke $800 worth of bands with the gear oil).  But they will still have me help keep the road open and push trucks with it until the winch is fixed.

I will I will keep you posted.

Thank You Sponsors!