iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaskan lll and Husky 395 xp ?

Started by Aussie, July 02, 2001, 06:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussie

I have a 395xp and am thinking of using it on an Alaskan Mark lll. I will most likely be using it on my own. I'm wondering how it will handle a 36 inch mill or would it be better to get a smaller mill, say maybe 30 inch or 24. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very appreciative.Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Aussie;
The 395 is a nice saw, the only downside being is it doesn`t have side chain tension which is handy with the Alaskan.
I can cut a 20" log with a 24" bar and 24" Alaskan so you can decide from that what you might require depending on the size of the logs you`ll be working with.
Most of my cedar is well under that and with the mini mill I can cut a larger log down to 20" , so we`re talking 20" at the small end of the log and that`s a lot of log!

Kevin

Just one more thing ...
With a 24" bar and a 24" mill your mill will clamp directly over the nose sprocket rivets so it makes sense to go with a longer bar and clamp your mill further back to get away from the nose sprocket.
A 28" or 30" bar is better.
Here`s a good picture of Charlie`s set up.

KiwiCharlie

G'day Aussie,

Welcome to the group.  Not many of us here from down under.
At 90 odd cc's, the 395 has good power to run the MKIII.  As Kevin mentioned, depending on the size of the timber you will be milling, you can decide what size mill to get.  Having said that, theres nothing to stop you buying a 36" mill and mounting it on a smaller bar.  You just have to deal with the surplus rails sticking out the end.  Then when you see a 30" log you think would look nice as a breakfast bar, whack on your 36" bar and rip it!!  Some of those knarly Aussie hardwoods may slow down the saw a bit, but if in the softer woods, you should be fine.
Using that saw and a 36" bar/mill will be a breeze for an average sized man.
Cheers,
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

CharlieJ

G,Day

As seen in the photo from Kevin, the clamp is directly over the rivets in the sprocket nose. This lets
me have max use from a 24" bar and I have no problems from pinching. The only problem with longer bars is you give up power. Note the speed wrenches, this makes changeing cut depth much faster,
I just spot welded them on.  

Kevin

Charlie J,
What bar groove are you  using on the 066, .050" or .063"?

KiwiCharlie

G'day CharlieJ,

Great idea with the speed wrenches!  Did a double-take when I first saw the picture!
 You must have a bit of Kiwi in you somewhere!  Kiwis are known for their "kiwi-ingenuity", and do things like that to make life easier for themselves!
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Kevin

I`d really like to see a set of cam levers on there replacing the U bolt nuts.
Now that would make my milling life just a little bit easier!

Eggsander

Aussie,
The saw will work fine. I've been using my 394 with a 36" Alaskan for a couple of years. I generally run it on my 28" bar and the extra rail sticking out is no problem, and sure is handy to be able to stretch it out for the bigger logs.
I'll agree with the previous post, it would be nice to have a quicker mechanism for tightening.
Make sure you've got the right chain. So far I've always ground my own from standard chain, to varying degrees of success. The chain makes a HUGE difference in speed and quality of cut.
Be warned and beware though, my little experiment has gotten me to the point were I ordered a portable mill last week! ::)
Steve

Kevin

Eggsander, welcome to the board.
Which mill did you buy, if you don`t mind me asking?

Eggsander

Kevin,
I'm getting a Peterson Mill. From everything I studied it should suit my needs real well. The only thing it will lack is the ability to mill very large cross section beams, which I can still do with the Alaskan.
Now I just have to sit and wait for the boat from New Zealand   ::). But hopefully by mid October the sawdust will be flyin' (and hopefully the snow will hold off a while!)
Steve

Kevin

I hope you can get us some action photos when you fire it up, how will you get the logs to the mill?

CHARLIE

Eggsander, send a note to KiwiCharlie and tell him to go over to the Peterson Manufacturing Plant and tell them to put the hustle on and send that mill to you pronto. ;D ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Eggsander

Kevin,
I should be able to get some pictures up once I get things going. One of the great things about these mills is that you don't have to get the logs to the mill you can take the mill to the logs ;D
Charlie,
If all goes according to plan the mill is going on the boat tomorrow!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Steve

Silverfoxfintry

When my Son David and I started out milling we used a Jonsered 2165 and a 36" bar. It cut well as long as you kept the chain sharp.
Now when we have a big 48" or more log we use a double ended 6' bar with Two Husqvarna 395xp saws.
You can never have too much power!

Take care.

Silverfox.

mike_belben

Its been 20 years since the OP posted.  He probably died from chainsaw milling!

;D
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!