iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New splitter motor

Started by Logging logginglogging, September 04, 2019, 10:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logging logginglogging

We had a 27Ton troy built splitter for years that split a lot of wood. It had a Honda motor that for the last few years gave us a lot of issues. This spring i finally got rid on that motor and replaced it with a cheap harbor freight predator motor. I have followed all the brake in and maintenance instructions to a "T" and so far its been pretty decent. The motor does not come with a choke and is kind of cold blooded. You really need to start it and let it warm up a bit before being able to use it. This is the 170cc lawn mower replacement engine that they make. I have never had a lawnmower i had to warm up before but whatever it works well and its new.

sawguy21

I am glad you are happy with it. I was a small engine tech for a number of years, I don't have a lot of confidence in the cheap knockoffs but whatever works.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Logging logginglogging

I tend to agree, I was skeptical my self. Only time and cords of wood will tell. I have never been a Honda fan, I like briggs for most things, but this engine was so cheap and had a good warranty i figured i would try it. I had a Briggs off of a sander but with the wrong shaft length and diameter it would have been too much fab to make it work.

barbender

You're just the opposite of me. I've always had great luck with Hondas and lots of issues with Briggs. I've been known to look at a piece of equipment and get interested, and turn and walk away when I find out it has a Briggs.
Too many irons in the fire

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 04, 2019, 11:19:11 AM
I am glad you are happy with it. I was a small engine tech for a number of years, I don't have a lot of confidence in the cheap knockoffs but whatever works.
You jinxed me.... went home tried to start it it didn't want to run right... turns out rain was in the air filter. I pulled the filter and it ran after that. I let it run a while ....lol When it didn't start i was just thinking of your post earlier lol I will put a new filter in it tonight. Just a standard square filter. Normally I cover the motor but the wind blew the cover off last night and we got a real hard rain today

sawguy21

mitchstockdale

Just an observation that i have had with various small engines.. is they all have different start/run sequences and if you dont get the sequence right the engine can be real frustrating to get running and keep running.  

I sold a stihl trimmer to a guy and i never had a sinlge trouble starting it since there is a sequence to follow when starting it - (push the primmer bulb two or three times and set the choke/throttle and pull till it runs/ quits, then remove choke, and pull till it starts - usually one or two pulls). 

When guy came to get the trimmer he grabs it and cranks on the primer bulb like ten times then tries to start it by not following the start sequence and complains the trimmer is no good cause it wont start.....

To me all the different brands have subtle nuances to starting and running and its easy for users to get used to one brand over another.  I have Briggs, Kohler and cheap china engines and they all require there own little bit of persuasion/care to keep running properly ... just my two cents...sorry for heading off on a bit of a tangent there.

Logging logginglogging

I was never a big Honda fan. That Honda motor split hundreds of cords of wood, the governor gear in the crank case finally wore out so i ran it a full throttle for a few years as well. It still split fine like that. Finally the recoil was worn out and it became hard to start. I finally just had enough tinkering to get it going every time i wanted to split.

petefrom bearswamp

Original engine on mine was an 8hp briggs which wouldnt run worth a hoot unless pretty level.
Finally cracked the crankcase about 15 years ago and i replaced it with a 5.5 Honda.
uses less gas, appears just as powerful as the briggs and has been trouble free except had to replace the recoil assy to the tune of 23 bucks. 
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

sawguy21

You are comparing apples and oranges, that Briggs was 50's technology and worked well for it's time although it did have its quirks. The Honda GX industrial is a great engine, look how everybody copies it. The cheaper GC is fine for a lawnmower or other applications that don't see a lot of hours but is a throw away like the clones.

celliott

We put a predator 6.5hp into an old northern hydraulic splitter grampa had. The old tecumseh was real finicky and we figured, for the price of the harbor freight engine, well worth it even if it only lasts a few years. 
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Ea$y Money

If you're not considering a turbo diesel then you should probably just turn in your man card now... 😁
The harder you work, the luckier you get.

Timberking 1400 w/Diesel engine and Setworks, IH 986, Kubota M5-091, Lincoln Pipeliner SA-250 Diesel Welder, Lots of Stihl, Warn 8274 Winch.

Bruno of NH

I have never had a issue with a honda.
My woods 27 ton splitter has a Kohler but cheap one. If you move it 5 inches with the gas on it locks up. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 05, 2019, 11:16:21 AM
You are comparing apples and oranges, that Briggs was 50's technology and worked well for it's time although it did have its quirks. The Honda GX industrial is a great engine, look how everybody copies it. The cheaper GC is fine for a lawnmower or other applications that don't see a lot of hours but is a throw away like the clones.
Thats exactly what I got a clone of that motor. So far I am happy, but i haven't put a lot of hrs and wood through it yet really next summer will be the full test. I was a year ahead on firewood (i like to stay that way) so this summer i was doing siding on my shop and didnt do firewood like i normally do in the 1000 degree heat.

Whitman

My woodsplitter had a Honda .I split about 2 cordes and it thru a rod . Was not under load. Unrepairable !!! 

Logging logginglogging

I am not knocking the origional honda too much, it really did split lots of wood, probally 2-300 cord.... but i just never got along with it. It was my fathers splitter before it got too hard to keep running do to that govenor gear wearing out, then it became mine..... I ran it for a few years with the throttle rigged. I finally just decident it was time for a new motor. But him and i shared using that thing for years.....

woody_88

I took over my father in law's splitter, has a Honda engine. First thing that popped into my mind was buy a cover to keep the rain and elements out. Figured the 50 bucks or so would help keep the engine happy

Magicman

Outdoor grill covers are cheap.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GRANITEstateMP

old inner tube keeps the splitter motor happy!  Too bad when my wifes uncle borrows it he cant learn to put the cover back on!  Odd thing, now whenever I borrow his old dump truck, I can't ever remember to put the window up, OR turn the radio down :D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

sawguy21

A-z farmer

We use old barbecue grill covers over any small engines that are used outside .people always put them by the road for free and the covers we got are made of cast aluminum.We take off the lid and scrap the rest of the barbecue.they do not have to be secured on and we have had zero problems with the smallengines as long as the covers are put on after use .
Zeke

thecfarm

Good idea. At first I thought you meant a grill cover,the fold up plastic ones that cover the whole grill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Logging logginglogging

I have a trash can lid over mine.....

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!