iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My cheap lumber shed

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 11, 2015, 06:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Okay. I have pretty much finished my lumber storage shed. Still need to finish painting the roof with aluminum paint whenever we get 2-3 days of dry weather in the forecast. Painted about 2/3 with 5 gallons of paint but ran out and had to go get another can.

The shed roof is 14'X40'. Inside dimensions are 12'X38'. Uprights are locust poles I cut on my place and squared on my mill. All lumber came from my place and most is my practice lumber from when first got the mill. I'm no carpenter so don't look too close expecting square corners and such but I think it will keep my lumber dry. My son brought his JD tractor with forks over and helped me get the 20'6" framing in place but all the rest, including standing up the poles I did by myself and my 4 wheeler so nobody else to blame for any "character" and flaws.

Rafters are 2"X6"X14' poplar. Framing in front is 2.5"X12X 20'6" poplar to give me 17'+ openings. Siding is mostly poplar with a little red oak, buckeye and even a little cherry and a spruce board or two. Roof is 7' & 8' used corrugated metal I bought a couple counties over from a guy tearing down a big old barn. I may change my mind later and extend the siding to the ground if I decide too much rain blowing in. Left more open at first for air flow.

Total shed cost under $500 to build. Nails probably about $50, roofing around $300 (I bought $400 worth of corrugated metal but still have 35-40 sheets of 7' & 8' roofing left. Roof paint and brushes were around $85.

I will likely bring power over from the barn next door before too long. Put in a couple of outlets and maybe a few lights. May even add another night light up on my adjacent barn to light up this area more too.

The second picture is my adjacent barn I use for storing hay, keep ATVs and feed the livestock. I always said it is the crookedest barn in WV. Only have a horse and mule now. The little mule is actually my wife's 20th wedding anniversary present so we have had him 18 years now. He should be 22 and horse should be 24. Horse is half Belgian and half walking horse. Both are pretty much just pets now.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I like the diagonal running boards. Gives your shed an artistic look.
Nice shed and you'll soon learn it ain't big enough.  :D
Good job.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Plus the strength if affords.  Nice.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

I love it, and I need one just like it  ;)
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

Posty,

I was already looking today to see if I had room to add another section on it. I do. That may be the next project especially since I still have plenty of roofing left to add on.

MM was right about the about the diagonal boards for strength. Primarily to keep it from ricking on me. One thing I learned as I was putting the diagonals and getting close to the end and beginning to use shorter boards, first measure the long side but soon realized I could measure the short side and that would be the long side on next board so could cut 3-4 boards at a time then put them up and verify/adjust as needed. Building is like sawing - you learn something new every time you do it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

I love the look of both the shed and the barn.  Perfect. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nomad

Nice work on both buildings! smiley_thumbsup
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

thecfarm

That will keep some lumber for future projects.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scleigh

Howard, You did a fine job on that shed. I call myself a kindergarten carpenter and often dwell on my mistakes in construction. Nobody will ever notice out of square if you dont show'em.
Love the setting and look of the diagonal boards.

kelLOGg

WOW! Nice work. Where is the cheap part?  ;D
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ox

Those buildings are worthy to be in any countrified setting.  They look real nice.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

schakey

I really like your shed and I don't see cheap at all,great job. I can see one on our land now  smiley_thumbsup
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

barbender

Quote from: scleigh on July 12, 2015, 07:18:45 AM
Howard, You did a fine job on that shed. I call myself a kindergarten carpenter and often dwell on my mistakes in construction. Nobody will ever notice out of square if you dont show'em.
Love the setting and look of the diagonal boards.

You've never met my Dad, I'll just say he has an over developed eye for detail :D
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!