iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

inserted tooth saws

Started by crosscut, February 04, 2003, 10:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

If you would like I can get you the part number of the teeth that I buy from Menominee Saw for my MD. I quit buying teeth from MD because Menominee saw is cheaper and I like dealing with them a little better.
You can buy the shank tool to remove the teeth from MD- I don't know how much it costs.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Sawyerfortyish

Jeff I thought Simonds was the only company that was left to make inserted  teeth for saws. I was buying IKS but they are all done. Does menominee make teeth for head saws or just resell another brand?.

Jeff

They simply are resellers for Simonds.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodhaven

My teeth are getting to the point of being changed. I have read in the past that replacing every other tooth will cut my horse power needed way down. Is this true, it makes sense? Im almost ready to try my new motor which is 3 times more horse power than the old 126 hp. Just thought I would experiment along the way.
Richard

Jeff

If you blank out every other tooth it can cut the H.P. needed but it also will drop your feed rate dramatically. Replacing only half of your dull teeth will only decrease the horsepower needed versus not replacing any.  Personally, I can't imagine trying to saw with anything other then saw teeth in optimum condition, and what I mean by that is, making the ones your are using the best that they can be.

woodhaven

Jeff"
So you are saying don't waste my time? Use my old teeth a little longer until I get the new motor finished and then replace all the teeth when I change over to the new motor?
Richard

DanG

Richard, if I get a vote here, I'd like to see you go ahead and play around with it a bit, just to gain the knowledge. :P  You could time it through a given cut just like it is, then pop out half the teeth and time it again.  Then put in half of the new teeth, time it, then a full set of new ones and time it once more.  Then you would see, and hopefully report back, just what you found to be the optimum setup.

I can't see any advantage to waiting for the new engine if your teeth need replacing now.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

DanG, that's a DanG good idea!

Paul_H

Oakie,

I'd sure like the Part # for the MD teeth through Menominee if you have it handy.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

karl

I requested info on shanks and bits from Menominee, but sure wouldn't mind knowing the numbers too!

More info is better (most times) ;)

Anybody know what brand MD sells- the ones I bought came in a "plain brown wrapper". They work fine- just don't cut clamp handles well at all. ::) Mental note to self- push down clamp handle on long log when sawing one long, one short log on deck at same time. :-[

"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Buzz-sawyer

Are you guys refering to type B inserts?
They are all the same weather in a big saw, edger..whatever.....the difference is i nwhat type of teeth you get...........standall, carbide, chrome................know what I mean?

Woodhaven..

I have plenty of teeth to replace mine, but use the older set every other.........As you described Richard.
An old sawyer got me onto this years ago...Im sawing Almost all hardwoods, and It has worked well for me so far.

the worn teeth work well to remove the dust while the new ones cut like heck............. 
BUT I am just a backwoods sawyer...;) :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

A worn tooth is doing more then removing dust. Its trying to cut. By using them you sacrafice somewhere in the equation. Either in speed of cut, or worse, the quality. Most of the time I had my saw cutting as smooth as most bandmills I have seen. The secret to that is tooth care. Making sure each one is the same as the next.

If the sacrafice is something you as the sawyer are cool with, then hey, great. With me, anything but flat out was not an option. Buzz, I'm not trying to put down a "backwoods sawyer' as you indiacte. They does what they gotta do.

mometal77

Oakie,
There is a few threads on hp to each tooth found when I was looking.  Mobile dimension teeth. I believe the change out tool is around 13.50 from mobile I will probably just make my own.  After viewing the free price lists and video they sent me in the mail.  I can make/repair about anything except the grooved gears that go up and down the track over a 10ft track is $1050. Cheaper to build another and part out the old I think.  The 30 feet of track I acquired logs where rolled into it by kids working for the guy a few yrs back and bent up to 3/4 of an inch along with a few other things.   For what I bought the mill and I think it was a good buy.  I have the price lists I could send you. Sure would be nice for part numbers to Menominee saw.  Also are all mobile dimension teeth the same for the blades? 
Bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

oakiemac

Karl-I know what you mean! I have cut my DanG log clamps more then once.

The part number I was refering to is really just a Simonds number. The teeth are steel not stelite like what MD sells. But they are about $1.15/tooth vs the $3.45/tooth that MD wants. I also like them better. They don't shatter or chip nearly as much as the stellite tooth. If I hit metal with the stellite, it is pretty much finished but with the steel tooth I can almost always reuse after sharpening.
I know sawmill john and MD recommend the stellite because they say it needs sharpening less often, but I have been using the steel for about 5 months now and I have not seen a dramatic difference in sharpening frequency. I would be interested in if any of you buy these teeth what you think of them. I say they are well worth it.
The teeth are: 3 8/9 9/32 long then part number 10256200. Cost about $115 for a box of 100 bits. You can get Menominee Saw's number from the left side of your screen since they are a sponsor.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

woodhaven

BUT I am just a backwoods sawyer...

NAAH. Your just bring food to the table.
Richard

DanG

Bob, the teeth on the edgers are a different size than the main saw.  The main uses 5/16" and the edgers use 1/4".  Also, the main is thicker.  I think it is 8 guage and the edgers are 10 guage, but don't quote me on that part. ;) :D  The teeth are exactly the same style, though, and you have to look close to tell the difference.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Buzz-sawyer

JeffB
I just want to clarify.......

"Buzz, I'm not trying to put down a "backwoods sawyer' as you indiacte"

I said BUT...meaning I am not as experienced as many sawyers here  :).....just a a small fry who DOESNT know all the ins and outs

and that my opinion is very perocial, limited and and local.
I was not in any way infering that you dislike or put down anyone.......you got too big a heart for that ;)
Surely you know me better than that? ;) :) :) :)
your opiion and experience DWARFS mine.... and I appreciate it ...if anything I feel sheepish voicing a  different take than you being you have run a saw around quite a few times :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

Buzz my perception is way off right now. I may be going back to the hospital tonight, but a call down there says they are swamped and dont know when they can give me an answer from the dr.  I have had otitis Externa,  "swimmers ear" in both ears all weekend. Real bad pain, but tonight, the pain is almost gone but in the last 24 hours I have lost at least 50% of my hearing. Its as if I had in a pair of very good ear plugs, but Tammy says my ears look clear.

Fla._Deadheader

I TOLD ya to use ALCOHOL. That's what we use. It will absorb the water and end the infection.

Dilute it a little. We use 70% and mix it around 60-40 to water.

I got water deep in my ear Sunday afternoon, in the shower. This morning, I had some real discomfort in my upper jaw area. Got the Alcohol, and dripped a few drops in. Made a small paper towel "worm" and absorbed the extra out. NOW, I have that dreaded Tinnitus back, but, I can hear and the discomfort is gone.

KIDS.  ::) ::) ::)   ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Wenrich

You can get bit kerfs from 7/32 to 3/8 in Simond bits.  I run both a B pattern and an F pattern saw.  The teeth for those saws are all the same, its the shanks that are different.

For inserted bits, look at the shank and there will be either a number or a letter on them.  B, F, & D style shanks all use the same bit.  

I used to run chrome bits.  I went back to steel after hitting too much trash.  I never thought that the carbide would be cost effective.  You can buy a lot more steel than you can the carbide.  

Buzz

I've often wondered if anyone did that on a big headsaw.  I always noticed that short teeth don't stay sharp for very long.  So, I figured you would be running with half of the teeth duller than the other half.  

As for taking away sawdust, I always figured you had to make dust to take it away.  A shorter tooth is just there for the ride, not really doing any work.  

There is nothing like running with a fresh set of teeth, except with a brand new saw.   8)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Buzz-sawyer

Hi Ron
I think you are right that the short teeth are doing 0 cutting they never come close to the wood..........because they are VERY short....
I know a little dust spill out of the gullet and so on and , it seems the extr gullets and spaces on the non cutting teeth help out catch it out.
I like the chrome very much they seem to stay sharp a good bit longer.but dont seem to like the metal any too much.
I have found that my feed rate (about a foot a second) is good...and the only real differnce in my limited experience is , I spend less on teeth  :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Buzz-sawyer

JEFF
Sorry to hear your hurting...our family is prayin for ya pal ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

woodhaven

Buzz,
How, What and where do you sharpen the chrome teeth? I have never used them.
Richard

Buzz-sawyer

I just use a grind wheel to touch them up(similair to jockey grinder) ....forget about using a file.they is hard!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

mometal77

Man i have a lot to learn i feel like the doctor just slapped my be hind.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!