iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inserted tooth Removal

Started by Charles135, October 30, 2012, 02:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles135

Does anyone have a good video, insturctions, or photos of how to remove and install inserted shanks and bits for dummies?
Charlie
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit
Serving the Thin Blue Line Since 1998

reride82

Do you have the tool used to remove the teeth? Its a snap if you do. I don't know what you could use if you didn't though. I'll try to find a picture of one. Mine slips over the shank and has a pin that slides through the tool and the shank, and then you simply turn the shank and tooth out of the blade. reverse for assembly.
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Jeff

You need a tooth wrench. There is no other good way to change them with out it.  You can go to http://www.menomineesaw.com/ or better yet give them a call for the tool to fit your saw style. Not all the tools fit every saw. They are not that expensive.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

steamsawyer

Quote from: Charles135 on October 30, 2012, 02:25:40 PM
Does anyone have a good video, insturctions, or photos of how to remove and install inserted shanks and bits for dummies?
Charlie

Here's one for you Chuck... I didn't think to give a naration as this is going on, and it gets a little boring after a while but here you go.

You will need the proper shank wrench, they retail for $60 to $80. Also be sure to clean the sockets, bits, and shanks well and use lots of oil.

Click on the Youtube icon under my name and it will take you to my youtube channel. You can search through the pile of videos and stuff to see my sawmill in opperation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr4pyjsCgnk&list=UU7d1hrrieYmf1HNx6ypOVpg&index=10&feature=plcp

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Charles135

I do have a tooth wrench... I just didn't know what it was for.  When I had my blade hammered I wasn't there to watch him change the bits and shanks out.  Thanks guy!
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit
Serving the Thin Blue Line Since 1998

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG good vids Alan. I glad I got to see 'Ol Choo Choo making some steam and sawing some lumber.

I watched the Bangers playing too and enjoyed them.....but the mill was GREAT!  8) I knew that thing would work and now I got to see it. I saw that plank I spit backer juice on when I was down there.  :D

Good post!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

steamsawyer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 30, 2012, 03:57:44 PM
DanG good vids Alan. I glad I got to see 'Ol Choo Choo making some steam and sawing some lumber.

I watched the Bangers playing too and enjoyed them.....but the mill was GREAT!  8) I knew that thing would work and now I got to see it. I saw that plank I spit backer juice on when I was down there.  :D

Good post!  smiley_thumbsup

"Down there"... Here's the photographic evidence... Them's vacation sandals not sawmillin sandals.

You are welcome back anytime.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Alan Rudd

beenthere

steamsawyer alan

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a single bit or shank fall into the sawdust pit.
I thought that was routine.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

steamsawyer

I don't remember dropping any but I usually clean out the loose sawdust before I start and I keep a long handled magnet in the truck. However I did looose a swedge in the pit a couple years ago... never did find it.

Alan

Alan Rudd

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on October 30, 2012, 04:21:37 PM
steamsawyer alan

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a single bit or shank fall into the sawdust pit.
I thought that was routine.  ;D

I doubt if I dropped one in a thousand.  There is a new style out that uses magnets as well as a straight pin the replaces the old u shaped pin. I think its called a quick changer. I never got a chance to use one. Maybe it was developed since I left the big mill.  I busted enough of those hardened pins over the years. The only times I was but very bad on a saw was when those pins broke. Once on the headsaw, and once on the vertical edger.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!