iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What say you?

Started by Magicman, May 19, 2018, 10:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

curdog

Looks hickory like to me...

reelman65

75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

Don P

The chain link bark looks like a mockernut to me

fishpharmer

Walnut.  Looks more elmish.
I was swayed by Dave Shepard.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Southside

So you eliminated SYP from the possibility list I take it.  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

If it were here, I'd say ulmus americana.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Carya ovalis.  Also called red hickory.  It is also considered a variety of pignut hickory by some dendrologists.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

So far Jeff has the only correct answer but he ain't right either.  Well actually Southside logger made a true statement.  ;D

This does serve as an example of how bark can differ between trees of the same species, sometimes vastly different.  Young trees may also differ from older more mature trees.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Is this a Southern species?

Not elm, not hickory,  then I'd say ash.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

It is growing on my property in Mississippi, so this tree is Southern for sure.    ;D

I was wondering if anyone would say Ash.  Ain't right but I was wondering.   :P

curdog

Next guess sassafras 

Dave Shepard

Sassafras is definitely out of my range, but it does look like it on an image search. 

Magicman

I love Sassafras but no.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

mike_belben

The mill can call it susan if they like. Long as they pay.
Praise The Lord

Magicman

OK, there is a serious clue hidden somewhere about this species.  Here is another clue.  The tree pictured above is about 25-30 years old.  Here are two pictures of a tree (same species) that is 75-100 years old:

You can tell by the bark that this is a much older tree.  Same bark pattern but the edges are not nearly as sharp.

curdog

Next guess.... pecan 

Magicman

That isn't a guess, that is the correct answer.  smiley_thumbsup

I did give a clue here:  Used da 5' Wooden Handled Peavey in General Board

Most of the guesses were all in the same species family.  :)

curdog

:o 8) 8) ;D 8)
If it was in pecan pie form,  I would have got it right away...
I'll try to find a tree for our next mystery bark thread....

WDH

You tricked us with the first picture.  That ain't fair, but I know that you are laughing, so any critique is falling on deaf ears........
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!