iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identify this oak

Started by poke2323, February 11, 2015, 06:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdmn

nevertheless, when whether something lives or dies is our choice, then it is our choice, and we shouldn't pretend that this is the same as when it isn't. also, it is very different when those making the choice have little concern for what others who care would choose.

mesquite buckeye

I would rather see something useful come from such a tree before it turns into mulch. Just because a tree is big doesn't make it any more valuable a life than a small one. Death is the norm in the forest and all who live there reach that end whether by storm or disease or axe. Seems to me we should worry more about the overall forest health and productivity than the life of a single large tree, no matter how beautiful and rare the individual.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

wdmn

I didn't mean to come across as overly attached to an individual tree. I've never even met this one before. The point was that decisions are made all of the time about things that have value to people who are not involved in the decision making. Perhaps that's the way things are, doesn't mean that that's the way things should be.

If it became mulch it would also get turned into something (other than the mulch). it might get turned into several more young trees if its left standing (who knows, one of them might even become the next state champ), also, in becoming mulch it will have played a role in numerous processes that are part of a functioning forest.

Aren't dying trees (left in the forest to turn to mulch) important to "forest health," no matter how beautiful or rare the individual?

mesquite buckeye

Thats all fine as long as it is on public land.

If it is my place then just back off. I will manage it as I see fit. I don't need somebody who has no resposibility to pay the taxes or get a return on his investment telling me how I should or should not operate. If you think you should never cut a tree and just want to go play in the woods buy your own woods. You will find they are not cheap and the work is hard if you want to make a living.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!