iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on buying Eastern Red Cedar logs

Started by bakerhardwoods, August 04, 2019, 01:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhardwoods

I'm located in West Lafayette, Indiana and sell wood that I saw on a Lucas Mill slabbing attachment and that I hire sawn with a Woodmizer.  It isn't really a hobby, I have a day job, but I call this activity an Illness, rather than business.  I have customers interested in live edge Eastern Red Cedar, but in my normal log acquisition I do not run into ERC other than rarely.  Any thoughts on how I might be able to acquire these.  I've called a couple of the closest sawmills and they basically said they never see ERC.  Maybe the best thing is to widen the search.  I would like to keep the hauling cost down, because I don't think my customers are anxious to pay a lot for ERC.  I don't think the "wanted" section of this site is appropriate.

Also I've read of a special scale for ERC, rather than, say, the Doyle scale. Does that scale yield more or fewer board feet for a given diameter?

Finally, I have no point of reference for market prices of ERC logs.  There is an Indiana log price survey, but I've never seen ERC listed.

Thank you, Tim Baker

btulloh

I'm too far away to have a lot of suggestions for you, but I can tell you a few things that work for erc.

A good source here is a log accumulation yard. Sometimes they take erc to chip but they usually know who has some and will refer. There are small operators that specialize in clearing fence rows and pastures that run into a lot of erc.

Asking around with different land clearing companies can turn up some. It's just debris to them.
HM126

nativewolf

They are a big issue about a state south of you in OK and KS.  You could easily source logs from there and truck them but trucking would prob kill the profits.  I'd look at tree service outfits and specifically ask for cedar logs, you still will likely do better a bit further south, call the tree guys in Indy and offer to pickup?  

Maybe pop over to Purdue and ask the forestry folks there if they know any ext agents to talk with?

Liking Walnut

btulloh

@Cedarman is in your neck of the woods.  Maybe he could be of some help.

If it's in high demand in your area and low supply, maybe you could have some shipped in as slabs and see if you can charge enough/sell enough to be profitable.   I have seen posts on here where someone was shipping ERC lumber to Canada in fairly large quantities.  Can't remember who but it wasn't too long ago.
HM126

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Cedarman

We have about 1/2 million feet in the yard.  All sizes and lengths.  If you want to try a few slabs we can cut them.  We are about 3 1/2 hours from you just north of Marengo In.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

bakerhardwoods

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I appreciate it.
Tim

moodnacreek

It has taken Me years to get cedar logs for my sawmill. It is not that easy because most tree cutters don't know logs. Fluted red cedar logs are a big problem.  Anyhow, I expect 8' 6", 8" tip and use international 1/4 scale and pay $500 to $750 m [ thousand board foot] in cash on a steady bases. If they bring in white cedar or dawn redwood, I take it. I have never refused decent cut cedar logs unless too small or badly fluted. You have to work with any supplier who may come across cedar and try to bring in what you ask for. Last year I got 3 17',18" straight E.R C. that where sound. This is rare but if you are not buying it may never happen. A few years back 7000 foot of cedar came in , much of it red and 12" tip and better. That is very hard to get in my area but cash talks.

doc henderson

It is an invasive species in ks. and the state foresters have whole meetings on ERC, since it takes up grazing space and water in grass pastures for cattle.  you ight check with your state forester to see where it is a problem in your area.  My stihl dealer knows I have a sawmill, and I get calls from ranchers wanting me to come and take some since they hate to waste it.  get a big snow and they burn huge piles of the stuff.  one of my favorite trees to use for rustic.  we are 12.5 hours from you! :).  we have companies that do nothing but clear pastures, and some make mulch with it.  also check with tree services, and colleges and cemeteries tend to have a lot of cedar.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!