iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting roots--don't want to hurt tree

Started by esarratt, April 16, 2020, 09:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esarratt

I have a 4" PVC pipe that I need to install.  There is a 4" tree root in the path.

I don't want to hurt the tree.  I am willing to go under the root if necessary.

AND, it would be easier to cut through the root.

The root is very close to the base of its oak tree.

FWIW: The pipe is a vent pipe for a customer's septic system; it will not contain any liquid, just odoriferous gases.  The pipe terminates (releases air) above the ground on the other side of tree.

Thank you for your help!

Texas Ranger

terminate in front of root.  You didn't tree species or location, results can vary by both.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

esarratt

Quote from: Texas Ranger on April 16, 2020, 12:25:25 PM
terminate in front of root.  You didn't tree species or location, results can vary by both.
White oak.  Western North Carolina in Southern Appalachia.  It is about 4000' in elevation.

Texas Ranger

Crap shoot.  Since only vent, I would go under.  Cut root good entry to pathogen.

On second thought, dropping it may be a place to collect fluids and stuff, cut off vent, I think still go in front of root.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ishredit

In the spring is a tough time as oaks bring in a lot a water this time the year. Oaks in general like more water in the spring.
Second roots are usually heavier on the west side of the tree depending on the wind direction but your slopped grade may alter that. Cutting one root, I wouldn't be so concerned just give the tree a lot of water this spring. Also remember the roots are its anchor so don't cut to many. 
Oak Wilt can be a concern at this time of the year specially during May but if you cover the root soon after the cut you'll be ok.
Shredder Dan

Remle

Quote from: esarratt on April 16, 2020, 09:57:17 AM
I have a 4" PVC pipe that I need to install.  There is a 4" tree root in the path.

I don't want to hurt the tree.  I am willing to go under the root if necessary.

AND, it would be easier to cut through the root.

The root is very close to the base of its oak tree.

FWIW: The pipe is a vent pipe for a customer's septic system; it will not contain any liquid, just odoriferous gases.  The pipe terminates (releases air) above the ground on the other side of tree.

Thank you for your help!

From the pictures it looks like a pretty good up hill grade. Would it be possible to go under by lowering the grade, say the last 10 foot or so ?

Magicman

Either stop where you are or go under.  You have already caused much damage to that tree and surrounding trees by cutting the feeder roots as seen along the top of your trench.  Those small feeder roots are the "lifeblood" of the tree.  Try not to do additional damage by cutting that 4" root at the base of the tree.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!