iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is this and can i eat it.

Started by doc henderson, October 16, 2020, 07:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

was cleaning up my slab pile and found this guy.  looks plump, but moving slow.  a little cool today.  these slabs have sat for 3 months or so.  do I need to spray the area?  I put this one in the burn barrel.  

I am sure i could eat it, but I do not really want to.   digin_2
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

stavebuyer

Horn worm. Bad news for tomato and tobacco. Burn him. :snowball:

WDH

Your wood is safe but not your tomatoes. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Green blooded gobblin.  Let me know how it tastes.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

A tomato reaper is what that dang thing is. Comes from a moth. 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

I have used Captains Jack's powder, once every 2 weeks, on my tomatoes plants and I don't have them worms anymore. Comes in a spray too. Organic too. Much better than that sevin stuff.  ::) :o  And cheaper at the store I work at.

captain Jack's
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Dredge in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs, 40 seconds in the air fryer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old saw fixer

I am sure that Andrew Zimmern has tried one.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

GAB

Before eating it I would suggest that your will be in place and that your life insurance(s) be up to date.
Just in case.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doc henderson

I am smoking peppers today, if I can find another one I will give it a try.  head first or tail first? :o :)

mike_belben

Tail first so it comes out easy when you puke. 
Praise The Lord

GAB

Quote from: mike_belben on October 17, 2020, 08:40:33 PM
Tail first so it comes out easy when you puke.
I'm not sure about that.
The horn might just hook on the way out and who knows what could be the result of that.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Tacotodd

I'm just getting sick thinking about ingesting that! 

I'm sorry Doc, I'll stick to my deer meat, any and every day. I know without a doubt I can eat deer. It has 3 things going for it: 

1 No hormones in it that aren't natural 
2 Nobody has EVER complained about the taste (if I butcher & prepare)
3 Nobody ever gets sick from it

Sorry about the sidetrack, but YOU can eat it if you're willing.
Trying harder everyday.

bluthum

I've tried a lot of different insect life raw, some are not too bad. A tomato hornworm did not meet my standards for edible. Can't say about cooked but raw it tasted like a broken tomato vine smell by 10,000 times. Pungent to the point of very nasty.

Bogue Chitto

You can eat the fish that it catches.   ;D

alan gage

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

petefrom bearswamp

When I was a teen, a very long time ago I worked summers for 2 Italian brothers on their truck farm.
Hornworms were common in the tomatoes.
Ugly critters and you could hear them chewing.
Dont remember if they sprayed for them.
The father of the guys ate almost everything but i doubt he tried them
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Nebraska

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Bet it won't be as juicy as a sawyer grub.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Skip

doc henderson

so that is how you stay so young!   :o :o :o   8) 8) 8)   :) :) :).  maybe like Bill Clinton,   it is on your lip, but you did not chew and swallow.   :) :D  I "could" eat them, but I would need to be more hungry than usual.

bluthum

Many people of the world still regularly eat insects as did native Americans, pre europeans. Some parts of the world have many types of insects for sale in the market place. 

I doubt any early human culture existed that didn't utilize the food source. They can be tasty and nutritious, eaten with judiciousness. 

Most of the beetle larvae I've eaten from under bark have a flavor some what like the host tree. The middle sized mallet heads from under hickory bark [I think a type of Long Horn beetle larvae] taste like hickory  nuts a bit, have a nice texture and crunch. 

kantuckid

After my maters had died off this year, I wondered what was eating my pepper plants and found hornworms. Been gardening a long time and never seen them on peppers before. 
I prefer picking them off by hand and stomping on the ground to pesticides. They can be hard to spot but leave tell tale poop and barren leaf stalks. 
I used to work with a guy here in KY who was a noodler and had eaten most critters, I'll ask him before I try eating one? ;D 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

mike_belben

Yup, hornworms leave hand grenade turds.  If you see these you better find the worm fast or kiss those maters goodbye. 

Anyone know what this is?  Some kinda larva?

Praise The Lord

kantuckid

Those are the whitish eggs the 8!@#%^&* lay on yer plants! Mash those too!
Right now it's the time when the Asian ladbugs try to get in my britches , home and so on. Sprayed the log wall the other day and we tape black plastic in our BR window- they bite!
Meanwhile the yellow jackets like my oak logs when I saw into one, it's also their last hurrah before dead of winter.

mike_belben

Whatever that was went in the burn barrel. 

Lady beatles havent been as bad as usual this year, but stinkbugs galore.  Any thing on the clothesline they perceive as a pocket has been full.  sleeping bag, pillowcase.. Beanie hats etc.  Yuk. 
Praise The Lord

kantuckid

Stink bugs also eat maters! Both the Asian lady bugs and stinkies stink when squirshed. 
Did the gvmnt import the stink bugs too? ;D

Al_Smith

There is a type of wasp that lays eggs on the hornworms that will eat them alive  .However in mass they can do a lot of damage to tomato plants ina very short time .Sevin dust will clean their clocks right now .Give them a squirt from a water applicator and they will drop within a minute .

DixieReb31

WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

doc henderson

these were on my friends "tree of knowledge" catalpa tree.  I assume there are at some stage of the life cycle of the catalpa worms the people in the south go fishing with and I believe may be a major ingredient in the food they refer to as "GRITS".  they like the beans and the leaves.  

doc henderson

they all seemed to have the little black flags on the hind legs, but not symmetric or the same sides.  

GullyBog

There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Don P

They're all eatible as long as you take the drumsticks off.

they would take a heavy chocolate coating  :D

doc henderson

it would make sense, but is it part of the catalpa worm cycle?  @WDH 

trapper

doc does smoking peppers give you a high like pot does?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

doc henderson

well I do not know, and really do not have the muchies.  I have smoked peppers, but on a big smoker with mulberry wood.  have not tried the other stuff due to my profession and the era i grew up in.  just want to know what the critters are.  I will look online as well.   :)

Don P

Not peppers, I think you are supposed to roll them up in an old banana peel and then light it. Personally I think the chocolate dipped would be better.

doc henderson

look like stink bugs, and nothing I found was in the life cycle of the catalpa caterpillar.  they are and egg, a worm then a moth.  i will have my buddy Jim go rough one up and let me know what they smell like.

HemlockKing

Quote from: doc henderson on October 26, 2020, 01:10:33 PM
so that is how you stay so young!   :o :o :o   8) 8) 8)   :) :) :).  maybe like Bill Clinton,   it is on your lip, but you did not chew and swallow.   :) :D  I "could" eat them, but I would need to be more hungry than usual.
I’d like to see someone eat a pine sawyer larvae, those things look soft and fleshy but their internals are tough lol CRUNCH

Wouldn’t be the craziest I’ve seen, seen someone take a bite out of a live mackerel once
A1

WDH

I know a few things about catalpa but not much about what eats them.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

Danny I will keep that in mind.  I milled a bit, and have more to do.  nice wood.  looks and machines like a cedar.  I have heard it is rather rot resistant.

WDH

Makes beautiful bowls and turned pieces.  

As a boy, I picked off the caterpillars from some catalpas growing in my Granny's (what I called my Grandmother) side yard and found that catfish really liked them.  When you hooked a caterpillar, a yellow-green ooze would ooze out of them and apparently this put the smell in the water that would bring in the catfish.  This was tame catfish in a stocked pond and not like the wild catfish that Howard so expertly catches.  

YellowHammer

I'm not much for bugs or eating them, but I do like the title, probably one of the best thread titles I can remember.  Kudos to Doc.

Every time I read it, I grin like a "possum eating road kill" (down south here we don't spell it with an o) and most likely that's what the critter thinks when he bumbles down the local asphalt road, looking for dinner.  "Hmmmm, smells good, looks kind of flat, not too many ants, I wonder what it is?  Oh well, no cars are coming, down the hatch, gulp"  

Anyway, it's good reading.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

well see now you guys have made me smile.  I do not really want to try it either.  so i think these are not Catalpa bugs.?  I have had some really strange possum experiences, and when they smile, I just know I do not want to get bit by them.  good day gents!

SwampDonkey

Leaf-footed bugs as mentioned earlier. They are in the order hemiptera, family Coreidae. These bugs are usually dark. This is a large group of insects, and mostly large bugs. These are actually called bugs, which distinguishes them from beetles (order coleoptera). These are adults. Squash bug is part of this group to. These bugs give off an unpleasant odor when handled. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

thanks LD.  did not realize that was the name, but we all had some fun getting here.   :)

WV Sawmiller

In the words of one wizened old FF member (I can't remember his name ::)) "Yes you can eat it but maybe only once." :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 23, 2021, 08:59:08 PM
  In the words of one wizened old FF member (I can't remember his name ::)) "Yes you can eat it but maybe only once." :D
Another quote: "The best techniques are passed on by the survivors" :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

When I harvested them from the tree, I always grabbed them by that spiny thing on their butt end.  

https://extension.psu.edu/catalpa-worm-catalpa-sphinx-moth

WV Sawmiller

I have told but will repeat this. Catalpa worms emit a nasty brownish green spittle that severely stains your hands. It is almost impossible to get off. My dad was a cook in the Army and said the only way he ever found to get rid of catalpa juice stain was to make a big batch of biscuit dough. 'Nuff said.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

There isn't enough milk chocolate in the world for just one in my opinion.
GAB

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!