iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diagnosing woodlot health

Started by joebillhill, January 19, 2021, 10:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joebillhill

Hello all, 
First post here on the forum but I am excited to be a new member, especially since my partner and I just purchased 9 acres outside Leavenworth, WA.
The site is primarily composed of Doug fir with a few Pondo pines and grand firs scattered throughout.  We are in the process of figuring everything out in terms of access, connecting to the grid, site plan, and house design...and on top of that trying to promote a healthy forest.  Fun stuff.
Anyways, we have become aware that there is a chance we have root rot on the property and I was looking for some help diagnosing while we wait to hear from the state forester.  
There is a potential infection center that has a number of snags in it along with sparsely needled trees with blowdown as well (though much of the property has a fair amount of dead and down).
I cut a few trees in the vicinity of the "infection" and am wondering if they show telltale signs of laminated root rot (all the cut trees were Doug fir).  I've attached some photos and hoping for some input. 
Thanks,
Joe

BrandonTN

Laminated Root Rot

There's a FS info link on laminated root rot. Armillaria root disease is also common, fyi. Im not that familiar with treating either, but generally know that minimizing the spread involves cutting trees.

Good luck with the state forester
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

BaldBob

It doesn't look like laminated root rot, but it could easily be Armalaria.  Trees that died frim laminated root rot exhibit separation of the wood at the growth rings (delamination).

Scrape  a small patch of bark off near the ground on a couple of trees that have heavily thinning crowns, down to the cambium layer . If you see what looks like a layer of white or off white latex paint on the cambium, you have an Armalaria infestation. The State forester can give you guidance on trying to control it, but if it is Armalaria it can be difficult. Usually it involves cutting all susceptible trees (sounds like in your case its the DF, but Grand Fir tends to be highly susceptible to it as well) within 50' of any trees showing signs if infection. Although PP can be susceptible, it tends to be far more resistant than DF or GF, so planting PP in the area opened up is often a successful strategy. The reason for the 50' is that it spreads through root to root contact, and you need to assure that the roots of  healthy trees have no chance of touching the roots of trees that are infected.

joebillhill

Ok good to know and thanks for the responses guys.  We were out there yesterday with some friends but I didn't have anything to peel away the bark.  Next time though I'll take a look and snag some photos.

Thank You Sponsors!