iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is such a thing a short climbing spikes(say, 1/4 or 1/2") that won't hurt tree?

Started by Danausplexippus, February 01, 2021, 02:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danausplexippus

Newbie question-Is there such a thing a short climbing spikes(say, 1/4 or 1/2") that won't hurt the tree?
David

mike_belben

Lineman spikes sre used for poles or tightbark trees like beech.. With a pine gaff your feet wont even touch a beech and itll hurt your feet and legs and be very hard to pluck out. 

But the short spur will still gouge up the tree.  Itll probably recover but there is a risk. 
Praise The Lord

clearcut

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ianab

If your plan is lift pruning crop trees, then spurs aren't the solution. 

Locally it's ladder and loppers / hand saw stuff. You can throw a safety chain around the top of the ladder, and even use strap on steps to reach higher. So while they may scuff up the bark, they don't penetrate it and damage the growing area underneath. 

So with  a ~12 ft ladder, a strap on step above that, you are able to prune up over 20+ ft. Wrap your spare leg around the tree. Great way to keep fit. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mike_belben

Bowhunters use the strap on ladders.. Here we call them climbing sticks.
Praise The Lord

Danausplexippus

Thank you to all for your responses. Will be using ianab's technique-looks simple & good.
David

Ron Scott

Climbing spikes are generally not permitted unless the tree is to be removed as previously stated. Climbing spikes damage the trees and leave entry points for insects and diseases such as the devastating oak wilt.
~Ron

Tacotodd

That's also what a prusic is for. Even I can tie one of them, and I can't tie but about 4 knots and that's the only tree knot that I know about!
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!