iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Neighbor Contracted Tree Service Climbed my Trees With Spikes

Started by tim1234, August 17, 2008, 06:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim1234

My Neighbor contracted a tree service to trim some limbs from my trees that were overhanging thier property.  I had offered to trim them for them, but they were having a locus taken down in their front yard so they had the service trim the maple branches too. 

There was pleny of access for a bucket truck, but the tree servide opted to climb my trees with climbing spurs.  They climbed 3 of my maples leaving a mess of holes in my trees behind.

2 questions.  First, can anything be done to repair the damage to my trees.  I have 2 maples in my back yard that someone climbed with spurs 5 years ago and they are not healing so I am concerned with long term effects.

Second, is there any action I can take with this tree service.  At the very least I want to call them and let them know they are unprofessional and don't know anything about trees >:( >:(.  Also I hope I can save others from having these hacks damage thier trees too.

I know there is a great debate on whether spurs should or should not be used while pruning, but everything I've read points to only using spurs during removals.

Any advice.

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Rocky_J

They will laugh at you if you call them. They already know that they are hacks, but time is money and 99% of people don't know or don't care if the climbers use spikes. As far as bucket truck access, most companies in this business are small outfits or owner-operators and don't have the ability to afford a bucket truck.

You can call the BBB or write a letter to the editor of the newspaper if it will make you feel better, but only a small percentage of tree services actually care about trees and their health. Most simply whack limbs for money. Sorry, but nobody really cares.  :-\

tim1234

Rocky_J

They can't be that poor.  When they came to grind the stump, they have a new whiz bang remote controlled stump grinder. 

As for the hack part, it was intersting to see the guy drive the contraption across the street with nobody on the other side to keep people away.....with the grinding wheel whizzin around :o  He was grinding shrub stumps right up next to their house and the control wasn't that smooth.  I was afraid he was goin to grind the house. 

It was pretty cool to watch that thing work though.

Tim

beenthere

Any pics? We like pics...of both..the trees spiked and the grinder.   :)

Real surprised the maples didn't heal over in 5 years since being climbed.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tim1234

Beenthere,

I didn't get pics of the grinder  :(  I was too cheesed off about the damage to the trees. >:(  I noticed just as the grinder crew showed up.  I'll take some of the trees and post them tomorrow.  Too dark now to get a good shot.

Tim

jbeat

Sugar maple taps scab over in about a year after the spile is removed and are virtually un-noticeable in three years. I think your trees will suffer no long term ill-effects. I would consider spraying an insecticide around the base to keep the ants at bay until the spike gouges scab over.
John B

tim1234

jbeat,

Somethin like ortho home defence?  I know it is supposed to last for 3 months.  I've got some in the garage.

Tim

jbeat

I think that product is designed for interior and exterior foundation treatment. If the label states  "not harmful to plants"  I would use it. You could also check with a lawn and garden supply to get their recommendation.
John B

Ironwood

We have alot of "hacks" here too. At least they cut the right trees (one guy mistakenly cut the nieghbors trees). Gotta ' look on the bright side I guess :-\

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Riles

I would assume certified arborists have standards. Check to see if he advertises as being certified, and notify the appropriate people. I'm sure we have a couple here that could point you in the right direction.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Rocky_J

The ISA will collect your money and hand you a card saying you're a 'certified arborist', but they don't bother investigating or enforcing any measures against abusers. Anybody could claim to be certified and then do whatever they want and the ISA wouldn't do anything to stop them. Certification is simply an education tool for those who wish to pursue it. I'm glad that the ISA exists but certification means nothing to anybody else except the guy holding the card.

Wow, I really sound pessimistic on my industry, don't I?  :-\

tim1234

These guys are not certified.  I checked their website and it does not even include the word "Arborist" anywhere.  They have a link to staisfied cutomers with only 1 entry.  I'd say that's pretty good for a company in buisness for 30 years....1 satisfied customer ::)

I'm suprised they have made it 30 years.

Tim

Ron Scott

I was an expert witness in a court case a few years ago where the tree service company used climbing spikes to prune a landowner's 9 red oak trees and infected the trees with oak wilt due to the spike wounds. The trees died quick time and the judge awarded the landowner $25,000 for the 9 trees.

The use of climbing spikes for "tree care" is not a recommended and condoned practice and the use has been discouraged some time ago. For documentation, let the tree service know in writing that you did not authorize the use of tree spikes on your trees should you have future concerns, problems, or lose of your trees due to their use of tree spikes.   
~Ron

Kevin

I would never spike a residential tree or any quality tree.
Someone just asked me to spike a maple that belongs to their neighbors to remove a branch over their roof.
He didn't care about any damage to the tree as long as he thought he was saving money.
Didn't do that job, it's a matter of ethics.

Tom

Ron Scott

~Ron

Kevin

I don't feel bad, I lost that job and picked up another one yesterday.  :D

tim1234

Just goes to show, if you do quality work and don't cut corners, the reward will come.

One of the easiest things to loose and the hardest things to gain is your reputation.

Keep taking the high road Kevin :)

Tim

treecyclers

The ISA expressly states that the only time that spikes are acceptable for climbing is when the tree is being removed.
True rope climbing takes a lot of skill and thought to do it well, and it's a skill that takes a long time to learn even with education and training.
I climb, but it's difficult for me as I weigh in at 265.
I'm sorry for your experience, and I hope that you took lots of photos and documented everything so that when your trees die, you have recourse.
SD
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Thank You Sponsors!