iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MCP Loblolly Pine Seedlings for Deep East Texas Planting Site

Started by Mike R, June 16, 2012, 01:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike R

I'm planning on reforesting a 30 acre tract late this fall with Mass Control Pollinated (MCP) Loblolly Seedlings (roughly $3,600 for 18,000 seedlings). Although I haven't seen any independent research, they are marketed as higher yield and faster growth.  However, they are roughly 3 times more expensive than the standard 2nd or 3rd generation pine seedlings (open pollinated). I would appreciate feedback from any growers or planters on whether the additional cost is worth the observed faster growth / yield. The planting site is located in deep East Texas (Livingston area).

Thanks.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

No, he also asked PM.  Improved seedlings can be problematic at best, it depends on where they come from, who grew them, who plants them, soil type, site treatment, etc. 

I personally don't see the cost worth the return.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

They should definitely out-perform the regular seedlings in most cases.  However, at three times the cost and the time value of money, you might not see a return on the initial investment.  It all depends on the timber market.  If you had done this very same thing 20 years ago, and you were to sell this timber in the same market as exists today, I doubt that you would see a positive return.  If stumpage prices were on the high end of the cycle, you likely would.

Since there is no price difference when selling logs from regular seedlings and from MCP seedlings, your return is a function of the extra growth.  The higher the stumpage price, the more your extra growth is worth.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!