iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

??Ambrosia Beetles??

Started by caveman, April 18, 2014, 04:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Jmoore and I have a few good sized live oak logs to slab.  Last week I noticed a lot of fine sawdust on the bark.  After chopping some of the bark off with an axe, I noticed the larva, which was a small white grub and the beetle.  My eyes are not good enough to see the "horns" on their butt but they did make a black hole when they bored into the log.  Are these ambrosia beetles?  If so, will they channel all the way into the log or just the outer few inches?

Thanks,
Caveman
Caveman

WDH

That is what they are for sure.  I have seen them go deep in white oak.  They love all oaks. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Thanks for the confirmation.  I have seen them in pines and in some pine lumber that we have sawn.  If nothing else, maybe this will serve as a good i.d. example of the dust, beetle, larvae and the bore hole.  The conditions must have gotten just right in the last week or two in these logs.  They have been unmolested for months and then all of a sudden the little nippers assaulted them. 
Caveman 
Caveman

WDH

It is that time of the year when they are flying.  The black hole is a dead giveaway. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!