iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plastic water tank

Started by adirondacker, May 10, 2020, 07:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adirondacker

Hello to you All....question for those of you who have the plastic water tanks on top of portable sawmill frame. Mine has developed a small hairline stress crack where it is fastened to frame (very cheap design)....Drip is annoying....are there aftermarket tanks that can be retrofitted..... or do any of you know of a good chemical compound that can be placed inside the tank....obviously after is drained and dry.
I'm quite sure this has happened to a few sawyers.

terrifictimbersllc

Mine have had a 5 gallon plastic water jug replaceable about $25 from the sawmill manufacturer, and probably available elsewhere too, never looked. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Sixacresand

I put flex seal tape over the cracks when I busted mine.  It worked for a while.  I noticed in a recent photo, someone was using a plastic GI can.  Seems like a good idea.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

farmfromkansas

Harbor freight used to sell a kit to weld cracks in plastic tanks.  I have used fiberglass repair kit to repair plastic fenders and parts on a motor bike. JB weld could possibly work.  Try a bit on a spot to see if it is compatible.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

dchiapin

I got some new ones fairly cheap from US Plastics, they even sell the spigots separately

Bandmill Bandit

Heres your best fix!
I used a 7 CAD gallon truck camper fresh water tank. It has pretty good UV inhibitor rating. Cost me 60 bucks and it will out last me by a long shot. Been 4 or 5 years since I did it and there is no sign of any deterioration so far.  
<br
<br

Replacing the jug below from Wood mizer was an every other year event and they are way over priced for what they are. A new one of these was more $$ than what the permanent fix cost me.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

VooDooChikin04

IF you are looking to just seal the cracks, personally id use some permatex ultra black silicone. I've sealed so many cracks with it.   Also there is an internal sealer compound that is made for sealing inside of motorcycle gas tanks.  However, replacing with a nicer container may be the ticket.

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

SawyerTed

Uline carries several different types of plastic jerry jugs.  I bought some for less than the manufacturer version.  It was molded slightly different but dimensions and function are the same.  For portable jobs it's easier to fill a couple of jugs and just swap jugs than bother with refilling them on the job site.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Gere Flewelling

If you know of any auto or equipment repair shop mechanics, they can probably fix you up with a 5 gallon jug like in post 5.  The new environmentally friendly parts washer called "Ozzy Juice" comes in containers just like that.  I use and throw away 5 or 6 of those a year.  I always have thought they could be recycled since the original ingredients are water soluble.  Probably no suitable for potable water though.  I don't have that type of tank on my mill.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Bandmill Bandit

Heres a link that you can order from on line. You can specify the location and size of the filler port and the drain fittings.

https://www.plastic-mart.com/category/33/rv-water-tanks

You want to order with a marine filler fitting so you can get a plastic marine cap with the vent screw built in.
I used a 3/4" NPT drain fitting.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

ladylake

A couple of places that get soap in heavy duty 5 gal jugs are car washes and dairy farmers, mine from a dairy farmer has lasted years.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawyerTed

Some restaurants get cooking oil in containers that might work. Seems like one place I've been sells them for a couple dollars. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

ladylake

Not sure but I think those cooking oil containers are real flimsy .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

69bronco

I use 5 gal jugs that pool chlorine comes in, have several on hand. Just drill and tap one of the bungs. Actually mine are dairy sanitizer jugs.

D6c

I too need to adapt a new jug to my older LT40.  The original fell apart years ago from sun damage.  Unless I'm going to have a hose handy for filling I don't want anything too big or it will be do heavy I won't be able to lift it into place.
I do have a about a 6 gal potable water jug from Walmart that came with a spigot valve that might work but even it's pretty heavy.
Kind of like this:. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-5-Gallon-Water-Carrier-Blue/21156004

Magicman

After my shoulder surgery I knew that the 5 gallon water/lube jug would be too heavy for me to lift so I built this:  How do you fill your fuel and LUBE jugs/tanks? in Sawmills and Milling  I am amazed at how well it works, and I haven't used it since yesterday.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

MM has a great idea for filling the water tank. Some times a person is just not thinking clearly when it come to the saw mill!

I have  40 CDN gallon potable water tank I haul on my pickup with a 12 volt transfer pump that we use when we camp to make sure we dont run out of fresh water.

It just got cross "trained" to  supply water to the lube tank on the mill as well!

No more lifting and hauling of 2 or 3 extra carbouys of water. Just one square tank that sits at the front of the empty truck box with the little pump and a 50 foot garden hose. 

I'll get a picture since I will be loading it up for a camping trip in the next few days any way. 

Thank You Sponsors!