iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hardly "logging", but my new log moving contraption

Started by Dan_Shade, March 12, 2007, 08:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Straight from Shade's R&D shop.  I got this idea a while back, and saw a similar setup a fellow board member uses to move logs with his pickup. 

I'll snap some better pictures of the contraption itself maybe tomorrow

The thing with the wheels is a trailer dolly from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company, it would work better with larger tires, I may have to fabricate a bigger one.

the log was around a foot or so across.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sprucebunny

I've been thinking along the same lines, lately , Dan  ;D

Bigger wheels would certainly do something for it .

Thanks for doing the R&D for me :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dan_Shade

I paid $30 for the dolly (+ shipping), it's probably worth that much. I bent it BAD on saturday "proof" testing the rig trying to pick up a chebby 4x4 pickups front end off the ground  :D

so I drove a 7/8 rod through it to stiffen it up.  I may end up making a similar thing from scratch, the problem with that is it will end up being pretty heavy, this is nice and light.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sprucebunny

What I've really been thinking about could be made by putting an axle about 8-12" back on the trailer hitch/fork part and a longer tongue on it.
16" OD wheels and I'll be rollin' :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dan_Shade

the problem with putting tires on that part is it can limit you on how large of a log you may be able to move, this thing "theoretically" should be able to move a 36" log, that needs tested, though....  i may not be able to get the straps tight enough, or may have to turn to a chain binder to make it work.

the other problem with them is getting the log lifted in the first place to get the axle under it.  (I had a setup similar to that, only used it once because I ended up selling the tires for it).

johncinquo

To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

379hammerdown

Yeah... what is all that there in the back of the log lol!

Dan_Shade

it's a log arch made from a mobile home axle.  nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

A log arch is crucial for anyone (such as myself) that does not have a tractor, but for heavier logs, they are still hard to move, that's why I made this cradle thing, which makes it easier to keep the entire log off of the ground.

LT40HDD51

Kinda the same idea as when they transport big overpass beams and the like with 18 wheelers, bolt a set of trailer axles under one end and a hitch to the other. I like it.  :)

Might I suggest some nice 10 000lb or so ratchet straps with a nice long handle?  ;D
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Thank You Sponsors!