It isn't square at all.

If anything this is more a speed square:

But to be technical it really should be called a speed rectangle.  ;D

From now on, I'm going to try and change the name of this:

to speed triangle....... :D ;D

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

Then what would you call a framing square? Two very long skinny rectangles joined at right angles. :D I always wondered what was so speedy about a speed square triangle anyway. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Loghead

Jim I would agree, :D and my framing square should be an framing L its not square atall unless you have two then its a rectangle?????  :) :) :)
lovin anything handcrafted with logs!!

LeeB

You fellers weathered in today?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Radar67

It's called a speed square because carpenters use it to speedily guide their Skil saw squarely across the end of a board.  ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ljmathias

Sounds like too much time on their hands alright.... Wait till Jim makes it down to Southern Mississippi and has to put up with us naive, waiting to be educated timber framers in the making- no extra time then.

I always thought it was called a speed square because you could whip it out of your toolbelt, mark something and slide it back into a side pocket really fast.  The square part?  I would have thought that was obvious- it's an adjective or a verb, not a noun.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Radar67

I'll make sure I bring my squarangle by to let Jim have a look at.  :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Don P

I guess this was taken  ;D

Great NeckĀ® Squangle (Square-Angle)

And then I've heard guys call them that, or that's what I handed them  :D.

shinnlinger

I though the speed square had to do with it's ability to very quickly mark almost any angle you wanted....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Tony

My 7yr old just asked me the other day, why the triangle was called a square  :D :D  I'll tell him that somebody is working to change the name.

Another problem solved by the FF.

Thanks,    Tony   8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Raphael

When working with a transit, I call that triangle thing a 'plastic Jesus', because it will stand up and show you the way.  Otherwise I call it useless.   ;)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!