iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low Impact Logging

Started by sprucebunny, December 15, 2004, 06:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Thought I'd start a thread here and look for any items/input/experience you all have with low impact logging including equipment and results.
So...here for your potential ridicule ??? is my Honda skidder and the 3000# GVW atv trailer I got loaded with hay for trail fill/padding.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ohsoloco

That's a nice looking rig, sprucebunny  :)

Potential ridicule?  I may start skidding fuel wood with a couple three wheelers I just bought  :D ::)

sprucebunny

This is the rig with a steel/cement water pipe destined to be a culvert. Estimated weight  : 800 #s

Ianab

Low impact is to use a rig like that to carry your Peterson / Lucas / Ecosaw into the forest and bring out a load of boards  ;)

OK... we cheated and hauled the logs out of the swamp with a digger, and thats not exactly low impact. But you get the idea
  ;D

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GAV64

Sprucebunny,
how do you like those tracks, i thought about them for a while but the cost, i have a honda foreman es and use it to puull chipper and splitter around the woods and and arch to pull logs. Was thinking of a utilty/work snowmobile (wide track) to work in winter but also very $$$. Do they go up hills well, I live on a hill and have to bring up bagged hardwood in the winter do you think it will pull a sled or cart, with the wheels it just spins. Where did you get them and how $$$ if you dont mind me asking. I also like the low impact approach, sorry to hear about you clear cutting up north, I guess there are pros and cons, i just dont like it, saw too much of it in washington and oregon. Late to work again 3rd time this week, chasing dam husky at 4:30 am he must be going through a mid-life crisis. glenn...

hosslog

I think my user ID says it all ;D Have you looked at a regular log arch to use with your wheeler? Handyer than wrassling stuff up onto your trailer.

Scott

Nice setup SpruceBunny. how do those tracks hold up to all season use? I was always under the imprssion that they were just a winter thing  ??? I used to ground skid logs with an ATV but then i got a little trailer for it that let me haul 4 foot logs, worked way better. the logs weren't getting snagged on stumps anymore and i was bringing out a lot more wood in a day. In the near future i'll be looking at getting a farmi winch for dad's 33HP Massey Ferguson. Try this link.

www.lowimpactforestry.com

Ed

Sprucebunny that is one sweet rig!!!!!
When the ground is real soft I will hold off on bringing any logs out with the tractor. Although the oversize ag tires on my New Holland 2120 do stay up pretty good. I also didn't have the rears loaded in order to keep the flotation up. If it's really soft, I use my 99 Polaris  6x6 atv. It will carry about 1/3 of a face cord in the box. Mines older than this one, but same basic machine.

polarisindustries

Murf

We annually selectively log a portion of our hunt camp. We do it a little differently though.

We feel it is as important to improve the overall forest environment as it is to be low impact.

The way we do it though is to go in during the late spring, after melt but before foliage, skeeters and no-seeums and develop the trails that will be used to collect and skid the wood out the following winter. By the time we are back on those new trails there is already vegetation growing over them and there is no impact to speak of at all.

The end result is by skidding on smooth pre-built trails you create minimal disturbance to the forest. The trails very quickly transform into animal trails and foraging areas for all the little critters, and a few big ones too.

The flat smooth trails also stand up better after the logging is done, with negligible erosion from spring melts or rain in following years.

We use the trails for access during hunting season, some of them are now 20+ years old still look as good as the year we made them.

The new trees are coming along nicely too.  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

sprucebunny

The tracks work great  ;D They cost $2700.Had the rears on all summer 200+ miles over rocks ,stumps and mud. The tracks have very low wt psi but with the front wheels on, some places are just too wet and impede the trail system.
Like Murf, I've been working on trails all summer but plan to do most cutting and hauling in winter .
The tracks have alot more traction than wheels and go up hill and over every kind of dale  8) The only thing that isn't always as good as wheels is giong over 7-12" logs lying on the ground.
Steering is a little tough with the front tracks.
If I was cutting bigger logs ,I'd definately buy the Future Forestry arch.I might try to cut some longer spruce for cabin logs and that might be a good enough excuse ;D
Some brands of tracks are not recomended for summer/sand use but these are.They are made by A.D.Boivin in Canada.
 ;D The biggest thing I've skidded without the trailer is a whole 16" butt balsam: branches and all. Just had it lyin on the ground and chained to the trailer hitch. Moved it ok but wouldn't want to go far that way.  ;)
My friends with real skidders laugh at me but I'm not making payments on this or trying to make a living with it.

Thank You Sponsors!