iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fairmont pole pruner question

Started by maple flats, July 31, 2010, 06:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I bought a Fairmont hydraulic pole pruner, it was from a tree crew in a bucket truck. I think the bucket truck must have hydraulic outlets at the bucket to run these.The unit came with about 10' of hydraulic hose attached to the pruner with built in live swivels. The hoses have a quick disconnect I am not familiar with and each hose has the swivel crimped on one end and the dis- connect crimped on the other. In fact, the hoses are factory made with no crimp visible. Can anyone tell me what these connectors might be called? I like the live swivel feature but for now I had to connect 3/8" hydraulic hose direct to the tool and had to remove the hoses it came with. If I can match the quick connect I will buy a pair. The other alternative would be to get a pair of straight live swivels to attach to the tool just ahead of the hose. The live achion allowing the tool to rotate in use without spinning the hose would make it much easier to use.
My second question about this pole pruner is: Anyone know how I might cut it shorter? The pruner has about a 5-6' FG tube between the hydraulic piston and control valve assembly and the cutting end. This makes it over 7' maybe 8' overall long. In normal use this would help reach higher but my use is to prune blueberries at near ground level and the long pole makes it less maneuverable. It haven't studied it too long yet,but I did unscrew each end where the pole attaches to the power end and the working end. All I could get was about 1/16" to look in because a solid steel rod that apparently runs the length to pull the pruning knife was in the way and I don't have any idea how to unhook it. Something has to dis-connect but I haven't found how yet. Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

maple flats

I forgot to mention one thing. The hoses in question are labeled "non conducting" (or non conductive).
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Maine372

that tool is designed for working around live powerlines. the tool and the hoses are both non conductive of electricity. the quick connects should be availible though any hydraulics supplier, if not try a tree service supply such as some of the site sponsors. you may also be able to get different quick connects attached crimpped on the hoses.

as far as shortening it i think youre out of luck. but if you think its heavy and akward on the ground, try running it from a bucket over the powerlines!

maple flats

If I can't identify the connectors I will need to go to the fitting supplier with the hoses, as I said, they are part of the hose and do not come apart without cutting. I knew they were for around power lines.

maple flats

Thru some searching I found a match to the couplers. When I hooked up the pruner I found ity must be a closed center system and my tractor is open center. I works perfectly but all the while I am not using it the pressure relief valve is humming. Some internet searching found a service manual and parts list that covered switching from one type system to the other. Problem is the model was different. At the bottom of the page I did find the service number for the factory. I called and got right part numbers but could not buy direct. I asked who I could get them from and was referred to an authorized service center just 30 miles away.
I called the service center and they are ordering the parts and will then convert the tool to open center. I just needs a couple of O-rings and a seal and seal retainer to switch and they will do it in their shop at my request.
Even with the relief valve humming I have used the pruner. It works extremely well. Will cut a nice clean cut on any stem or branch I can get the 2" inside measure hook on, just squeeze the operating lever and it has no hesitation. This will make pruning my 4.5 acres of blueberries much faster. My old air operated only cut up to 1.25" and blueberry is so tough I had to move the tool handle back and forth to cut the biggest stems which wasted a lot of time and for stems bigger than 1.25 I had to try to get the chainsaw in and that was hard to cut just the one that needed removing, lots of collateral damage. I am now sure I got the right tool to prune.
Be aware, proper pruning removes the 2 biggest canes each year and then only allows 2 new each year for 14-16 total canes. This gives the most production of berries.

Shetland Sheepdog

Maple flats,
Fairmont also makes a stick hydraulic chainsaw. Very similar to what you have, but with a 12" chainsaw head instead of a lopper head! I have used both while employed as an electric utility lineworker! You could reach in under those blueberry bushes real easily with one of those!
Proud operators of Sunset Tree Farm. 130 acres of "hilly" forest, and part of the American Tree Farm System.

maple flats

Yes, I have used it for a couple of days, it works extremely well. Right now I am awaiting the service center to notify me they received the necessary parts to convert mine to open center hydraulics. Now when I use it I can hear the pressure relief valve blowing off anytime the hydraulic ram is not extending or retracting and this would tend to heat the oil more so I am not using it much until the conversion. After that I have about 4500 bushes to tend along with lots of brush trying to take over the blueberry fields.
Once the brush is removed I now have a cultivator the runs off the tractor hydraulics and can be extended in and out between the bushes to kill the root and eventually rips out the roots of these unwanted brush and trees. My previous pruner was pneumatic and would only cut 1.25" and on blueberry canes that size I had the hold the trigger and rock the handle back and forth a few times to cut the tough canes. It would cut up to about 1" on first try. The problem is that I am mainly trying to remove the oldest canes in each bush to encourage new shoots and these old canes are from 1.25 up to about 2". This hydraulic pruner seems to cut as if it were the proverbial  hot knife thru butter. Just pull the trigger and it cuts. This will make the work at least 3 or 4 times as fast as my old pruner. I have yet to find anything it does not cut instantly.

Thank You Sponsors!